Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #16
NKK
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Have been there a couple of times - first time 12 days, second time 7 days.
I think there is allways something to see/doo in NY.
Best advice i can give is to bring som good walking shoes, and then walk around instead of using the subway/cab's to much.

The subway is an experience in it self, but i would not miss the NY life and mood that you experience walking around - in my opinion the absolute best way to see the city

And yes - a billion photo oportunities there

02-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Flor De Mayo, on the upper west side. 101st and Broadway, eat there. Their Peruvian chicken is to die for. Take a long walk up Broadway from there to Times Square. Lots of interesting things to photograph. Don't forget Chinatown, that's fun or the East Village, ditto. West Village too for that matter. Oh and the Boathouse is also a nice place in Central Park you might want to check out for photos. The back of the Metropolitan Museum there's some stuff and the cherry trees will be blooming soon. If you like plants the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens is a superb place to spend and afternoon and there's a permanent Louis C Tiffany exhibit at the Jewish Museum on the UWS that is gorgeous. The Natural History Museum is over there too and it's got some really neat stuff. Oh and while you're taking that long walk up Broadway you'll pass Lincoln Center too. Saint John the Divine Cathedral is on 112th and Broadway, and even if you're not religious the place makes for a fascinating visit. The stone work and the wood work inside the crypts, the stone yard, the fountain, it's amazing. It's a far more interesting place than the much lauded St Patrick's Cathedral. South Street Seaport, fun, but a but touristy. I lived there for 5 years and there still wasn't enough time to see it all. NYC is just too much. It's not like one city, it's like 5. You could live there all your life and not see half of it.
02-18-2012, 11:47 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I also lived there long ago for about 7-8 years. Much has changed. Everyone here has had some good sugestions. You might also want to check out the High Line. There is a website for it. If you want to get out of the city for a day trip, the Storm King outdoor sculpture farm is fun. It is maybe an hour and a half away, and there should be shuttles from NYC. You need good weather though.
02-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You'll kick yourself afterwards if you don't visit B&H Photo, one block from Penn Station.

Chris

02-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Unless you want to stick to a budget in which case DON'T even set foot near the place. Seriously I used to go in there just to look around even though I didn't even own a camera then. The place is amazing.
02-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I have just spent 6 days there - I did use the subway once - but I preferred walking as it presented the most photographic opportunities.

Too be quite honest NY blew me away - an amazing place and yes B&H is a gearhead heaven:-)

Below is my impressionist view of Manhattan

and Times Square

I alternated using my 16-85VR and 35 1.8G and also my Sony HX5v for Sweep Panoramas

Last edited by dylansalt; 02-22-2012 at 11:20 AM.
02-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for all the recent suggestions.

I have an "attractions" spreadsheet going. Seriously. Open/close hours, closed days, reservation required, etc. I have a "sequence" column that makes it easy to re-order them for planning purposes.

Day One is arriving 5:47 AM :-( Walking tour of Grand Central at 9:00, then 11:30 walking tour across the Brooklyn Bridge into the neighborhood on the other side. That BB walk is a Saturday-only with reservations thing. Maybe try for a nap after that. Then find the hotel (in NJ) and drop off my backpack, then back into NYC for some dusk things...

Last edited by SpecialK; 02-22-2012 at 12:35 PM.
02-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #23
Forum Member

I didn't get to do much when I was there in December (Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island, Empire State Building, Penn Station, some street stuff, Port Jefferson on Long Island for the Dickens festival), but that's because I was on Long Island for work. My mom thought there was something wrong since I didn't get inside the Statue of Liberty. I was surprised she didn't figured it out from the pics on my Flickr account -- the statue and base were surrounded by fences because they're renovating. When I go back, I want to go to Top of the Rock.
05-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I leave Friday night! I will not be visiting B&H nor Adorama unless my camera dies, however.
05-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's a whole lot more to New York City than the commercial and tourist districts of the lower half of Manhattan.
If time permits and you are also interested in seeing how people actually live be sure to visit the other boroughs.

Chris
05-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
There's a whole lot more to New York City than the commercial and tourist districts of the lower half of Manhattan.
If time permits and you are also interested in seeing how people actually live be sure to visit the other boroughs.

Chris
Most of it will be commercial and tourist district of the lower half of Manhattan :-) Some of it gets me a bit higher up, at least on a hop-on hop-off bus, but it's still mostly touristy - as that is what I am.
05-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Official New York CityPASS

have a wonderful trip B&H is right near/across from Penn Station north side
05-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Official New York CityPASS

have a wonderful trip B&H is right near/across from Penn Station north side
Yeah I have this (with 3 bus tours) - kind of a crash course in tourism :-) I'm not getting to all of them...

https://www.newyorkpass.com/attractions/
05-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Don't miss Canarsie.
05-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Don't miss Canarsie.

Forgotten New York: Canarsie

Google image search: Canarsie, Brooklyn

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 05-02-2012 at 04:06 PM.