Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2011, 09:23 AM   #1
Banned

plane crashes on NJ highway, five dead

QuoteQuote:
The pilot was told to maintain an altitude of 10,000 feet as he headed southwest over northern New Jersey as a controller warned him about the conditions in the clouds above — specifically accumulations of ice particles known as rime.

"There are reports of moderate rime. ... If it gets worse let me know and when center takes your handoff I'll climb you and maybe get you higher," one controller said.

The pilot responded: "We'll let you know what happens when we get in there. And, yeah, if we could go straight through it, that's no problem for us."

Seconds later, another controller is heard telling a different pilot about reports of severe icing at 14,000 feet.
Pilot warned of icing before N.J. plane crash - CBS News

Meriwether and Jackson Buckalew pose with their pet dog (who were all on the plane) in the family's Christmas card from this year.

Flight Tracker:
FlightAware > N731CA
FlightAware > Flight Track Log > N731CA > 20-Dec-2011 > KTEB-KPDK

QuoteQuote:
Airworthiness Directive

Federal Register Information
Federal Register Information
[Federal Register: February 17, 1998 (Volume 63, Number 31)]

[Page 7648]

Header Information
Header Information
DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION

Federal Aviation Administration

14 CFR Part 39 [63 FR 7648 No. 31 02/17/98]

[Docket No. 97-CE-55-AD; Amendment 39-10334; AD 98-04-22]

RIN 2120-AA64

Airworthiness Directives; SOCATA - Groupe AEROSPATIALE, Model TBM 700 Airplanes
PDF Copy (If Available):

Preamble Information
Preamble Information
AGENCY: Federal Aviation Administration, DOT.

ACTION: Final rule

SUMMARY: This amendment adopts a new airworthiness directive (AD) that applies to SOCATA - Groupe AEROSPATIALE, Model TBM 700 airplanes. This action requires revising the FAA-approved Airplane Flight Manual (AFM) to specify procedures that would prohibit flight in severe icing conditions (as determined by certain visual cues), limit or prohibit the use of various flight control devices while in severe icing conditions, and provide the flight crew with recognition cues for, and procedures for exiting from, severe icing conditions. This AD is prompted by the results of a review of the requirements for certification of these airplanes in icing conditions, new information on the icing environment, and icing data provided currently to the flight crew. The actions specified by this AD are intended to minimize the potential hazards associated with operating these airplanes in severe icing conditions by providing more clearly defined procedures and limitations associated with such conditions.

DATES: Effective March 13, 1998.
SOCATA - Groupe AEROSPATIALE, Model TBM 700 Airplanes

The pilot reached 18,000 ft then dropped like a rock to the ground in one minute.

Using Newark Liberty International Airport - AirportMonitor - by Megadata - powered by PASSUR, make the time Dec 20, 2011 10:03am. Set zoom to 20mi and click "Start". Click on the aircraft near Morristown (top left of radar screen)... It's initially a helicopter but then changes to the N731CA aircraft. Notice the altitude go from 18,000 to it's disappearance in about 60 seconds.

Socata TBM 700 :

Last edited by jogiba; 12-21-2011 at 04:23 PM.
12-21-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That is so scary and so sad.

I will be interested in reading the NTSB report in a year or so when it comes out.

Those reports are always quite interesting, generally 'just the facts'.
12-21-2011, 11:11 AM   #3
Banned

Original Poster

Sections of the single engine airplane that crashed Tuesday taking the lives of 5 people, three adults, 2 children along with a dog, remain in the median of Route 287 off the Northbound lanes. A team of investigators for the NTSB is scheduled to return to the scene this morning as they work to determine the cause of the fatal crash. The single engine plane departed from Teterboro Airport Tuesday before crashing just 15 minutes into the flight to Atlanta.
12-21-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

I saw the brake lights in front of me. And then the puff of smoke. And then another. And another. Some thick and black. Others white. And then the traffic came to a stop. I stayed in my car assuming a car fire or something (I had seen one on this same stretch of highway last year). I soon found out it was a small plane crash. Some people got out of their cars, including a guy with a Canon dSLR. I didn't. Once I found out it was a plane crash, I hoped for the best and feared the worst. I have little interest in photographing such things.

So sad. So terribly sad.

12-21-2011, 02:13 PM   #5
Banned

Original Poster
NJ plane crash December 20, 2011 10:03 AM from Newark Airport Monitor !

I just shot this off my computer screen:

Watch in full screen 1080p mode for most detail.

QuoteQuote:
Ice can form on airplanes when temperatures are near freezing and there is visible moisture, such as clouds or rain. The ice adds weight to an aircraft, and rough accumulations known as rime interrupt the flow of air over wings.

In extreme cases, a plane can lose so much lift that it falls out of the sky.

Icing played a role in crashes in 2009 involving a Colgan Air flight outside Buffalo and an Air France flight off the coast of Brazil. In both cases the pilots sent their airplanes into uncontrolled spins while trying to deal with accumulations of ice. The Colgan plane crashed into a house.

Most versions of the TBM-700 have deicing systems. But recordings available online show that even airliners with powerful deicing equipment were having trouble clearing the ice Tuesday. The pilot of a commuter jetliner headed to nearby LaGuardia Airport in New York asked a controller for an immediate climb into drier conditions.

The pilot of the TBM-700 was told to maintain an altitude of 10,000 feet as he headed southwest over northern New Jersey. A controller warned him about the conditions in the clouds above.

"There are reports of moderate rime. ... If it gets worse let me know and when center takes your handoff I'll climb you and maybe get you higher," the controller said.

The pilot responded: "We'll let you know what happens when we get in there. And, yeah, if we could go straight through it, that's no problem for us."
http://www.thenorthwestern.com/article/20111221/OSH0101/112210439/Five-die-a...Jersey-highway

part of cockpit loaded on truck:

Last edited by jogiba; 12-21-2011 at 06:45 PM.