Mistletoe in short supply? :)

Mistletoe shortage thwarts Christmas kisses - CBC News

12-24-2011, 05:55 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You guys use mistletoe in Finland?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-24-2011, 06:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Nope. It does not grow native over here, hence there is no tradition I suppose.
12-24-2011, 06:23 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The only mistletoe I have ever seen is the artificial variety.

12-24-2011, 06:41 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's not in short supply around here; if you know what to look for you'll see it everywhere. The trick is getting it down from the trees. Back in the old days you'd take your squirrel rifle and shoot to harvest yourself a bunch.
12-24-2011, 09:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
It's not in short supply around here; if you know what to look for you'll see it everywhere. The trick is getting it down from the trees. Back in the old days you'd take your squirrel rifle and shoot to harvest yourself a bunch.
The old days, bah:

Here's how they did it in *really* old days:

Amazon.com: The Magic Arts in Celtic Britain (9780486404479): Lewis Spence

Helps prevent shortages.

The American variety's different stuff, of course.
12-24-2011, 10:11 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Reminds me of Getafix, the druid

12-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mistletoe leads to kissing, kissing leads to amorous feelings, amorous feelings lead to ......

Therefore mistletoe is evil.

I'm waiting to see what politician eventually picks up on that train of thought and demands that mistletoe be banned!!
12-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Mistletoe is a feral menace in Australia and every effort is made to get rid of any found here. Australia's flora is unique and it is more and more threatened by illegally introduced plants, plant diseases (e.g. Myrtle Rust) and feral insects etc.
12-24-2011, 12:10 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
Mistletoe leads to kissing, kissing leads to amorous feelings, amorous feelings lead to ......

Therefore mistletoe is evil.

I'm waiting to see what politician eventually picks up on that train of thought and demands that mistletoe be banned!!
I don't know about your house, but in mine amorous feeling do NOT lead to electronic viewfinders.
12-24-2011, 02:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Q: If athletes get athlete's foot, what to astronauts get?
A: Missile-toe.

[rimshot!]

It's pretty pesty out West here, from infested oak woodlands around the California Central Valley to smothered mesquites on the interior deserts. Mistletoe is a dumb parasite that kills its host, like Ebola for trees. A bit more co-evolution is needed.

I have an alternative. In honor of Otis, I recommend that we all hang squirrels over our doorways and kiss under them. Why not?!? It makes just as much sense, eh?
12-24-2011, 02:16 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Mistletoe is a feral menace in Australia and every effort is made to get rid of any found here. Australia's flora is unique and it is more and more threatened by illegally introduced plants, plant diseases (e.g. Myrtle Rust) and feral insects etc.
Invasive species are a big problem everywhere. The most recent in our area is the Emerald Ash Borer Beetle which is killing hardwood trees and a algae known as rock snot that's clogging up our trout streams along with dozens of other plants and insects. All the more reason why plastic mistletoe from the local bargain store makes sense.
12-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Old days? Yeah, right...we USED to do that.....
12-24-2011, 03:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I don't know about your house, but in mine amorous feeling do NOT lead to electronic viewfinders.
Ahh, must be a true photographer unless I'm missing something!!
12-24-2011, 06:48 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Not around here. My folks got some and gave us some. My roommates did their fair share of drinking spiked eggnog and kissing various people under it earlier. In fact they're still partying quietly out on the porch with a few friends. I'm just being anti-social because I still don't feel great and I don't think kissing anyone would be rather nice of me. I'm still coughing and sneezing a bit, chest is congested, and trust me NO ONE wants this never ending nasty plague I've been dealing with. I've been hiding out while they party actually playing my new pc games. I did pop my head out and exchange gifts to be polite but after that I begged off doing the party thing. I'm just not up to major people.

I'm not even sure I'm going to my folks tomorrow. I should but I don't think I am up to cooking et all and I will end up doing it if I go. I did Thanksgiving. I was exhausted after. I just can't summon up a whole lot of enthusiasm for hosting the holidays this year really. The roommates and I did some lights beginning of the month but I never did get around to putting my little tree et all up. Just not up to it, shrug. The parents have a proper tree. I was there earlier albeit briefly. It will do, laugh.

Actually Dad makes a mean prime rib and the rest is easy, mashed potatoes, rolls, and some baked squash. My folks could handle that meal and I think I am going to stay home and let them for once. All the presents are already over there just in case and I expect if I ask somebody will bring mine here. The kids will miss me but it's probably better that I don't hang out with them. There will be 3 elders and a baby my sister in law is watching there so probably I'd better just stay here instead of going.

But no, no shortage of mistletoe here and the Christmas trees they were all $10 today, fire sale I guess?