Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2011, 05:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Severe storm afflicts southern Finland

QuoteQuote:
Police recommend staying inside and not going outdoors in the storm that is raging in Helsinki, as well as the provinces of Satakunta, Varsinais-Suomi and Pirkanmaa. The storm is tearing rooftops off houses and felling trees, making it dangerous to be outside and difficult to move about by car.

The authorities say that the storm is posing a danger for anyone who is stepping outdoors in Helsinki, so it is better to remain inside. Gusty winds are bending street lamps, flagpoles, fences and most notably felling trees. Torn off roof fragments and other construction debris are flying around in the air. Police have closed off several streets due to fallen trees.

Police in Satakunta recommend people to stay indoors, because, apart from falling trees, there is also a danger of being hit by debris thrown about by gusty winds.

Also police in Varsinais-Suomi note that the rescue department cannot keep up with clearing the road from all the felled trees at the moment. Police recommend motorists to take a chainsaw or some other land clearing instrument along if they can.

In Pirkanmaa, as well, people are urged to stay indoors.

The Finnish Meteorological Institute (FMI) has given a warning for very dangerous winds in the provinces of Satakunta, Varsinais-Suomi and Uusimaa. According to the FMI, the situation will worsen in the next few hours, lasting until 4pm.
Police warn against driving in storm-stricken areas | News | YLE Uutiset | yle.fi

Also: Tens of thousands without electricity | News | YLE Uutiset | yle.fi

12-26-2011, 05:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Whoa, that's American style weather!
12-26-2011, 06:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sounds like it has been pretty bad at some spots, I can't recall a recommendation like that from the last few years at least (?). Places right at the coast like Helsinki are probably more affected than inland where I am, even here the winds have been strong, but not fallen trees in the immediate vicinity, also no blackout(s). The recommendation to stay inside is probably due to emergecy services being burdened enough as it is without more people getting in a bind outside. The storm is settling though, for now at least.
12-26-2011, 10:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like one of our hurricanes. Our area is still recovering from the storms and floods from October. It's been a tough year everywhere.

12-26-2011, 11:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It seems that damage to people was limited after all, one fatality though. Other than that torn rooftops and other property damage, cut roads (mostly cleared I believe, one railroad line remains closed) and power lines (~100 000 customers still without elecricity, could still take days to restore power to all of them). Not a full-fledged disaster, but a major, costly mess, I suppose. The exceptional pledges from the Police to stay inside were kind of dramatic (can't quite recall similar ...), but they probably helped to limit the damage, so well done that .
12-27-2011, 07:57 AM   #6
Pentaxian

One of the reasons for the "stay indoors" requests is that there are often down and live power lines. I had to work the night Irene came through and it took me a couple of hours to pick my way home getting around fallen trees and down lines, I would much rather have taken the night off. Sometimes they get over dramatic. Damage is usually spotty. One place can have a bunch of trees down and roofs torn off and just a few miles away, no damage at all. Wind direction, elevation, and local geography are all factors.
12-28-2011, 01:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh yes, there was even a specific public warning to stay clear of fallen power lines. There was another, milder storm that took a more nothern route yesterday, not as much damage, apparently, but still more power lines affected:

Massive blackouts continue Wednesday | News | YLE Uutiset | yle.fi

Problems persist in train traffic

Last edited by jolepp; 12-28-2011 at 04:41 AM. Reason: + second YLE link
12-30-2011, 01:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nearly 30,000 still without power | News | YLE Uutiset | yle.fi
12-30-2011, 04:09 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The same storm made a lot of havoc in Sweden the day before, but most of it went south of us, and of course, as usual the west coast was hit the hardest. It has been an unusually stormy winter so far.
12-30-2011, 05:50 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yup. There have been news of property damage in Norway as well. It seems the most severe storm front moved in a roughly south-west - east route which went over the southern parts of Finland on its way to Russia.
12-30-2011, 08:15 AM   #11

Hope it'll settle down a bit next week when I'm flying "home-home". Strong winds are business as usual here in Skåne but Österbotten, where I'm headed, is hit pretty hard with water levels 1-1.5 m above normal and a lot of destroyed forest and as a result cut powerlines.
12-30-2011, 08:47 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
120 million euros worth of fallen timber | News | YLE Uutiset | yle.fi
12-30-2011, 04:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Well, needs to go to good use, that. Sorry, trees! And thanks.
12-30-2011, 04:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Well, needs to go to good use, that. Sorry, trees! And thanks.
I think most the fallen trees will be collected and used in one way or another . Some will probably not be found or it might get too tricky to haul them away.
12-30-2011, 04:32 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Around here, all that is needed is a sign that says "Free Firewood". It will be cleaned up in a few days. Everybody owns a chainsaw.