Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2011, 04:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
VA GOP requires "Loyalty Oath" to vote in Primary

Virginia GOP Will Require Voters To Sign ‘Loyalty Oath’

VA (where I live) is one of the states that does not require you to be a registered member of a party in order to vote in that parties primary. Some democrats and independents use that loophole to vote for weaker GOP candidates in order to increase the Democratic candidate's chances in the Presidential election. Of course, Republicans and right leaning independents do the reverse but that's not an issue this year. As a countermeasure, the GOP has decided to demand that primary voters sign an oath pledging to support and vote for the winning Republican candidate in the 2012 Presidential election. Naturally, there is no way for them to enforce this and anyone who crashes another parties primary is unlikely to give a rats tushy about keeping their word but regardless of that, this seems rather draconian to me.

I'm tempted to go to vote in the primary, sign the pledge, close my eyes and pick someone to vote for in the booth, then after voting, step back and raise my right hand before me and yell HEIL at the top of my lungs... then vote for anybody but a Republican in November.

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 12-30-2011 at 04:22 AM.
12-30-2011, 04:18 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Images of the GOP suing their registered voters after losing an election comes to mind as the next move.
12-30-2011, 04:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Bill,

Voters do not register by party in VA. so no one to sue... and since the November ballot is totally confidential, no way for them to verify who reneged on their oaths.

Mike
12-30-2011, 08:09 AM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Images of the GOP suing their registered voters after losing an election comes to mind as the next move.
It's the American way. If ANYTHING goes wrong there's always somebody to be sued, a lawyer who will take the case, and a judge that will allow it to proceed.

12-30-2011, 11:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Hell here in Mass they allow you to go to the polls change your party affiliation when you pick up a ballot at then after you vote , when you check out you get the chance to switch back to your original party. Now isn't that fantastic I for one think a parties primary should only be for registered members an no changing parties on the day of the election. But that's not going to happen.
12-30-2011, 11:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Virginia GOP Will Require Voters To Sign ‘Loyalty Oath’

VA (where I live) is one of the states that does not require you to be a registered member of a party in order to vote in that parties primary. Some democrats and independents use that loophole to vote for weaker GOP candidates in order to increase the Democratic candidate's chances in the Presidential election. Of course, Republicans and right leaning independents do the reverse but that's not an issue this year. As a countermeasure, the GOP has decided to demand that primary voters sign an oath pledging to support and vote for the winning Republican candidate in the 2012 Presidential election. Naturally, there is no way for them to enforce this and anyone who crashes another parties primary is unlikely to give a rats tushy about keeping their word but regardless of that, this seems rather draconian to me.

I'm tempted to go to vote in the primary, sign the pledge, close my eyes and pick someone to vote for in the booth, then after voting, step back and raise my right hand before me and yell HEIL at the top of my lungs... then vote for anybody but a Republican in November.

Mike
Considering that Religions Right types don't actually believe people are capable of making oaths in their own right to begin with, and sure don't care about *my* tushie in any good way...

Are you surprised? They've been disavowing the possibility of honor for twenty years, and now want it pledged to people you *know* are lying... Over a really shitty primary field? You know what that is.. It's not about upholding any oaths, it's about trying to force people to break them. To violate our most sacred liberties... obviate even their own will or ability to *make* oaths, thus, to say... 'No.' ..... in the name of Party. Thus be owned.

Toldya so.

(And, you know, Gokenin, part of the point of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts is *supposed* to be that parties don't own us. Ever. Being a Green shouldn't disqualify me from having a practical say in my own government, for instance. I'm down here in the South and we go to all effort to elect Democrats and all but three of them turn their coats to Republicans when they *do* get elected. See the other side, yet? As a New Englander, I would consider *this* intolerable if it weren't so familiar to the suckage I knew twenty years ago. (Hey, I try to play to the strengths. I may have lost some memory, but this scenario's kinda fresh to me. And yes, some of this shit is *still* bad. Heh, though. In Massachusetts, there's a priestess that was always on my case for calling things a 'scenario.' Don't make me come back up there. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 12-31-2011 at 12:27 AM.
01-01-2012, 07:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
VA (where I live) is one of the states that does not require you to be a registered member of a party in order to vote in that parties primary.
How is that possibly a good idea?! Both sides will try and get the weaker candidate from the other side elected. Result - both parties have weaker, dumber candidates. And people wonder why American politicians are generally such a parade of dunces. Hey the Republicans probably helped Obama in the Primaries becuase they knew the country wasn't ready to accept the authority of a black or mixed race President! (Turns out they may have been right )