Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2007, 10:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Anyone ever absent-mindedly left their equipment somewhere?

I'm having more and more "senior moments" (I don't even consider myself that old!), and while up in the mountains north-east of Melbourne yesterday, I stopped to take a couple of photos. As I drove away, I was overcome by a nagging fear I'd left some item of equipment -- tripod, IR remote, whatever -- on the ground. Eventually had to pull over and do a full inventory. Nope, nothing missing.

Over the years I have misplaced the odd lens cap, and stuff of minor concern like that. But the time will come...

I just wondered if anyone has left a piece of photo gear behind -- that they will admit to! -- and whether it was there when they remembered and went back for it.

This is one of the photos I took where I stopped, and I suppose there was a good chance given the remoteness of the location that it would have been waiting for me. It's a hairpin on Ben Cairn Road near Warburton in the Yarra Valley, incidentally it's one of the competitive stages of the local round of the Australian Rally Championship -- if only there was some way to get to this corner when the rally cars were competing!

EXIF data (should be) embedded; it was 1/180 s and f6.7 with a DA 10-17 at 10 mm.

12-25-2007, 11:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear that Steve. Walbury - the place to get berries

I know that feeling having so much gear around - no longer that casual when all the gear is on you.

I left a bag of Canon 85mm f1.2L + 35mm f1.4L in a skateboarding park. Lucky that the bag was untouched!
12-26-2007, 12:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Oh, in one of my utterly brain dead moments several years ago, I left an expensive medium format camera (complete with motor drive and even more expensive zoom lens attached) sitting on a table in a very crowded McDonalds (here in Germany) as I walked right out the door, camera bag in hand. I was half-way up the block before a young man (employee cleaning tables) rushed up, handed me the camera, and rushed back towards the restaurant before I could blurt out more than a quick thank you. However, I immediately returned to the restaurant and talked to the manager about this young man's effort and honesty. On my way out, I thanked the young man once again. I returned to the restaurant about two weeks later and greeted the young man. During our quick discussion (busy place), he said the manager was promoting him to floor supervisor.

stewart

-

Last edited by stewart_photo; 12-26-2007 at 12:38 AM.
12-26-2007, 03:18 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I keep losing that tiny, screw-on lens cap for the DA 40mm Limited. I just checked my desk, camera bag, all level surfaces upstairs - where the heck is it?! It has the uncanny ability to find me as I have misplaced it before but then suddenly appears before in a place I know I checked. I think it's playing games with me!

Lens caps are the easiest to drop. I do the right thing by protecting the lens but in the heat of the moment I find myself concentrating on the upcoming shot and not where I put the #@$%&! lens cap! I have lost many over the years.

12-26-2007, 03:38 AM   #5
Syb
Veteran Member

Nope, not forgotten.

But it does happen sometimes that I run away from by gear bag to take that one special picture. That one often becomes more than one picture, and that sometimes takes several minutes. Once I was away from my gear bag (with *Ds, various lenses and more) for about 30 minutes, the thing totally out of sight in an airport room somewhere.

I was there for a conference, the other visitors were not entire strangers, yet I only knew ten of them by name! I was glad when I returned that the stuff was there untouched...
12-26-2007, 06:50 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've never left any of my personal gear behind, but I did forget my work tripod once, a large carbon-fiber Gitzo w/fluid head. Luckily, a worker picked it up and kept it safe until we could come back for it.
12-26-2007, 08:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Fortunatly no, when I have my camera gear out it is the only thing on my mind, unless hot chics or good food show up.

I love that hairpin shot, I think I played that on Dirt for the XBOX360 or older Colin McCrea series.

Stewart - You are a very lucky man, you got done right by that kid and did the right thing in return, good for both of you.

12-26-2007, 10:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Good to see some good McDonalds workers out there Stewart.

The thing that I always misplace is the IR remote.
It's like J.Scott with his lens caps, as in it'll eventually find me
12-26-2007, 07:10 PM   #9
Inactive Account

My Nikon Coolpix 3200 (pre DSLR days) fell out of the side compartment of my car door somewhere between Gettysburg and Valley Forge Most likely at that rest stop along the PA Turnpike. I called them up when we got home, they checked the parking lot but didn't find anything.

Lost all the pictures from a nice weekend in Gettysburg. Replaced it with a Canon A510 (still have!). DOAH!
12-27-2007, 01:51 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My worst incident was a few years back when I left a polarizer and a #25 red filter on my camera bag whilst taking pictures out in the woods, when I wanted to try a shot or two without them. Then I put my stuff away (not noticing the two filters drop off into the snow) and trudged away. I was back home letting everything thaw when I thought about it... Ooops.

Now just a few weeks back I lost a lens cap, which was a real bummer. Not that DA40 screw on lens cap, but I've nearly lost that countless times. I guess I need to buy a couple extras because it's just one of those things that happens to me....

12-27-2007, 01:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Haven't lost anything, but have come very close to driving off with something sitting on the roof of the station wagon.
12-28-2007, 11:44 AM   #12
Veteran Member

In 1976 i flew to Denmark for a 2 week trip. Brought a small bag with SP500, 55mm, 105mm and a flash. Took a cab to the hotel, grabed my luggage and when in to register. I then noticed i forgot my camera bag. I went outside just in time to see him drive off. I gave chase(much fitter back then) and he noticed me, and stopped.

I;m glad he say me. I would have hated to spend 2 weeks in Denmark and Sweden with no cameras.

Dave
12-28-2007, 12:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I have an irrational fear of losing the hotshoe cover. Actually, last night I lost the enormous pouch my flash came in.....Its in my house......somewhere..
01-01-2008, 11:02 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by G M Fude Quote
I just wondered if anyone has left a piece of photo gear behind -- that they will admit to! -- and whether it was there when they remembered and went back for it.
Yes Does anyone want to buy a lens hood and box for a DA16-45?

I left it at a wedding reception and when I went back the next morning, nobody knew anything about it. I had probably taken less than 100 pictures with it.
01-01-2008, 11:14 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Can't remember any specific incidents with camera gear (though I'm sure there are some). The experience that sticks in my mind though is when I took a bus from Massachussetts to New York City and then was transferring to another bus to go out to New Jersey. I came in to the basement of the Port Authority Bus Terminal and went up to the 4th floor for my bus out. Around half an hour later I realized I didn't have my duffel bag with all my clothes, my books, etc. I raced down and fortunately, they'd put it in a storage closet. Hasn't stopped me from being absent-minded again though - argh.