Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
New Orleans

Hi,

I'll be visiting New Orleans for the first time in March for 2-3 days and staying in the French Quarter. I'm wondering is it safe for me to walk around during the day with my camera gear ? Nothing too heavy, just my K7, 18-250, and 10-20 lenses in an average size bag. For nights I plan to just take a small P&S. Appreciate the info and any recommended photo opportunities.

01-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
Banned

what do you mean by 'safe'? if you are referring to getting mugged or something.. well my view is, you can and could likely get mugged anywhere if you aren't aware of your surroundings. New Orleans isn't a dangerous place. at least not any more than anywhere else.
01-09-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
You'll be fine unless I spot you and decide that I need 10-20 new lenses

I go to the quarter frequently and there are always tons of people out their with cameras, I have even seen quite a few pentax shooters out there. Even at night, the only thing I really worry about if I go out there is someone accidentally bumping into me.

NO has a reputation as dangerous because of a high murder rate but that is heavily concentrated in a handful of neighborhoods where no tourists visit and is basically rival crews beefing over petty crap and they have no respect for their lives or their neighbors lives. Its tragic, but it is a safe city, I have lived here most of my life and have never felt scared of violence and don't even own a gun.

If you like wildlife photography, there are also plenty of shooting opportunities if you visit some of local wild life preserves or take some of the swamp tours and there is also a great zoo, aquarium, and insectarium. For flowers, there is a botanical garden and sculpture garden at city park as well as longue vue house and gardens. The french quarter is great for street photography and if you go down to the frenchmen st. area, there are lots of great bars with live music like the spotted cat, DBA, the dragon's den, snug harbor, and blue nile to name just a few of my favorites.

Have fun and bring lots of money to spend

Last edited by mikemike; 01-10-2012 at 07:35 AM.
04-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
You'll be fine unless I spot you and decide that I need 10-20 new lenses

Have fun and bring lots of money to spend
My wife and I are going to New Orleans for the period of May 17 to 28. If I read Zman's post he is taking two lenses with him and one is a 10-20. However from Mike's post he thinks it is 10-20 lenses. Question for Mike, is it safe to travel around New Orleans with a Sigma 10-20 lens? Do not want a mugger going through our camera bag selecting an ultra wide zoom Pentax mount do we?

04-27-2012, 05:44 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
safe & sound

Hi All,

Returned from my first visit to New Orleans safe and sound. What a great city with friendly & wonderful residents. Can't wait to return some day. My visit was way too short to see what the place has to offer.

I took my K7 with two lenses, 18-250 and 10-20. Also, took my Nikon P7000 to travel light at night in the French Quarter.

All this reminiscing of my trip makes me wish I had a cold Abita !
04-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #6
Banned

But let me point out preferably avoid the areas that still show flood damage. Yes this all still exists after how many years.

Abandoned structures of all sorts, and also even cleared out land. Just one problem though. On that abandoned land - it most likely toxic. It won't kill you, but I would not touch it. More so for the occupied structures.

It was never quite cleaned up properly and in some cases never will be.

Otherwise New Orleans is a great place. Make sure to take a river tour; but only with a polarizing filter
04-28-2012, 04:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

"Dangerous" or "safe" are relative terms. That being said, New Orleans does have one of the highest murder rates in the USA at 10 times the national average per capita.

If you have the red word "Pentax" embroidered on your camera strap, you'll probably be safe through.

Jason

04-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was in New Orleans in March also and spent a day in the French Quarter doing all the tourist things and taking a lot of pictures.Like any city, New Orleans has some neighborhoods that are pretty seedy. We were staying in hotel near the airport so that meant a half hour drive which ended up being an hour drive because I made a wrong turn or 2. We ended up seeing some parts of the city that most tourists don't but I can't say that it's any worse than anywhere else. I would much rather be lost in New Orleans than Brooklyn. We were there during the SEC basketball tourney and spring break and there were lots and lots of very drunk fans and college students. I was glad we were staying in the suburbs. For a street photographer, New Orleans is a gold mine. Old buildings, horse and wagons, art galleries, street musicians and performers, and lots of very strange, eccentric, but also friendly people.