Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

What a nice winter so far.

I was driving around the little city today and I was amazed. Middle of January, 50 degrees. Sun shining brightly. And, no ice or snow. Now, here in Wisconsin, this is not supposed to happen. I'm not complaining, but In my 55 years of taking up space on this planet, I've never witnessed such a mild winter. By the way, the river is the Mississippi if anyone was wondering.

01-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i've been thinking the same thing in Toronto. Supposedly it's because the jetstream hasn't moved south like it usually does and it's keeping the artic air north. Whatever the reason I'll enjoy the 6-8 degree celsius days (40-48 F) I'm getting right now and the shovel still being stowed. My back is particularly happy

I would never have pictured a Wisconsin winter like that BTW
01-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Might be fun, but it's a disaster. There will be shortage of food in many parts of the world. Daught... + a global climate omen.
01-10-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

We came close to breaking a record for warm temperature in January last week as well. It's not s'poda be upper 50's and 60's here in Missouri this time of the year.
Though I have no doubt that 20's and colder will arrive in Fe burrr ary, if not a bit sooner. I like snow.
My neighbor had recently planned a trip with relatives to Wisconsin for a weekend of snowmobile riding. I think you can guess why it was cancelled.
Where is Simon Barsinister when you want some snow?
[IMG]
[/IMG]

01-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Really really convenient if you ask me. I wish it doesn't "truly" snow at all this year in many parts of the east coast...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Might be fun, but it's a disaster. There will be shortage of food in many parts of the world. Daught... + a global climate omen.
If you meant drought, I don't think that happens. We've had plenty of moisture, but in the form of rain instead of snow. Rain in Dec/Jan is not normal.

Larry
01-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #7
Inactive Account

It's the same over here. The temperature's barely dropped below 6°c so far, and today was in the double figures. We're still walking around without coats or even jumpers - this time last year we had several cm of ice and daily snow.

01-10-2012, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #8
Banned

Cordova (Alaska) Snowpocalypse 2012

Cordova Snowpocalypse 2012 | CordovaBuzz

01-10-2012, 11:21 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I'm in Upstate NY and looking at bare ground in January, a rare thing. Tomorrows forecast is for 5-8 inches so the drought is almost over.
01-11-2012, 02:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

It was in the high 40s today in pgh pa hope it stays like this but we are gonna get snow by the weekend oh well
01-11-2012, 07:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I'm in Upstate NY and looking at bare ground in January, a rare thing. Tomorrows forecast is for 5-8 inches so the drought is almost over.
Isn't that the Snow belt. AFAIK you get all that snow thanks to the Cold Canadian air shooting across Lake Ontario and dumping on you.
We are expecting a small amount tomorrow, but then Friday will be above freezing again. then a cold clear weekend and back to above freezing Monday
I'm not complaining I still haven't changed my tires
01-11-2012, 07:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Larry, you realize you've totally jinxed the awesome warm weather we're having by starting this thread, right?!
01-11-2012, 07:42 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I'm in the eastern Adirondacks so most of the lake effect squalls have lost much of their punch by the time they travel over the mountains. We have been getting some snow but it really hasn't been bitter cold and what the wind doesn't blow away just melts. The western Adirondacks have some snow cover. I should probably define cold to our standards. Daytime temps have been going to a little above freezing, around 35F and our nights have been averaging the upper teens-low 20's. That's probably cold winter weather for most of the country but for the northern latitudes, very mild. It's not uncommon for temps to hang below 0F for days in January. Winter is far from over and it could still get very ugly. I'm keeping my generator ready. The weather pattern we're in has big ice storm written all over it.
01-11-2012, 07:58 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm amazed how few really cold days we've ad. Typically when we're not getting snow it's because it's too cold not too warm (think 0 f or below for the Americans) If it hovers in the 25-30 range we are usually also getting walloped with snow
You're right the way the weather has been the storm tomorrow could well be ice not snow (good for photos if nothing else )
01-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Yep, the record (Utterly unprecedented in Minnesota, etc) warmth itself is welcome, personally, (Worried about paying the heat bills and my own health,) but it's a problem for the crops and summer water supply if there isn't snow on the ground and at the source of streams and rivers, especially.

Once it snows, the deniers will be like, 'Where's your global warming *now!'

'Record everything everywhere, again.' That's the pattern.