Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-27-2007, 06:35 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Picture.com, "Endless Journeys" Coffee Table Book Scam

I just wanted to post this so that everyone would be familiar with this scam. I found it browing Facebook.com, where an ad was listed for a photo contest through Picture.com in which you could win $10,000. I figured what the hell, might as well send in a picture. Well about two weeks later I get a letter in the mail claiming that my picture was selected to be published in a coffee table book called "Endless Journeys". It also stated that I could order a copy for $80. A quick google search shows some threads dating back to 2004, where the "Endless Journeys" scam was still being used.

So, picture.com is just A BIG SCAM. Here's a good thread about just such a thing

Betterphoto.com Photography Q&A - Endless Journeys Scam

12-27-2007, 10:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It just goes to show you there is a scam for everything. The scamers reach for the heart-strings. Thats how they work.
Thank you for posting. You never know who you may have saved some grief!
12-28-2007, 12:21 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

I wouldn't mind seeing a scam sticky somewhere
Of course I wouldn't post any on my web site, unless they can be proven due to liability issues. But that isn't usually too hard these days with internet search engines.
12-28-2007, 05:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I submitted shots in there before. Anything sent in there will get a editor's choice.

My junk boxes are filled with that sort of stuff all the time!

12-28-2007, 08:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

And THAT is why I refuse to enter competitions where I have to give-up my rights. Do they have the right to publish the image without your consent???!!!!!

As for the prize money, these are usually controlled by the "state" thru a permit no! Don't they have to publish the permit number where people can see it?

Anyway, thanks for the warning.
01-26-2008, 02:02 PM   #6

endless journeys is not a scam

Not to irritate anyone on this forum or anything,

I was also published through this website 3 times to be exact if you just ordered this book endless journeys you have not recieved it yet because it hasn't been printed yet and probally won't be printed until the spring. I was published in their book Expressions From The Heart and purchased the book in the fall it was printed in the spring and I DID I repeat I DID recieve my book in the early summer just like they told me I would . But you have to be patient and wait for the book to be published and printed . The contest part i do believe you have to go to vegas to win it but the book part is not a scam I am about ready to order the second book i was published in and i bet you i will recieve it too. so relax and just wait you will get it I am waiting for that one to i am also published in it . Even if it is a scam it feels pretty good owning a book that your photo was published in and being able to show people the photo you took is in a book.
01-26-2008, 08:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

lol one post here and registered today...

01-26-2008, 08:37 PM   #8
Forum Member

Thanks for irritating me

QuoteOriginally posted by amazon80 Quote
Not to irritate anyone on this forum or anything,

I was also published through this website 3 times to be exact if you just ordered this book endless journeys you have not recieved it yet because it hasn't been printed yet and probally won't be printed until the spring. I was published in their book Expressions From The Heart and purchased the book in the fall it was printed in the spring and I DID I repeat I DID recieve my book in the early summer just like they told me I would . But you have to be patient and wait for the book to be published and printed . The contest part i do believe you have to go to vegas to win it but the book part is not a scam I am about ready to order the second book i was published in and i bet you i will recieve it too. so relax and just wait you will get it I am waiting for that one to i am also published in it . Even if it is a scam it feels pretty good owning a book that your photo was published in and being able to show people the photo you took is in a book.
Please...I was notified over a year ago that one of my pictures would appear in that book. So far the publish date has been pushed back every season. I think they wait until enough people order the book so they have enough money to publish it. Endless Journeys is a fitting title for this one.
01-26-2008, 11:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

So your saying that you paid someone to get 3 photographs published amazon80, well most of us prefer to either get paid or at least get the publication for free
01-29-2008, 12:40 PM   #10

it is a vanity press

Picture.com is a vanity press it will publish any picture you put on there . You are basically paying to have your picture put in a book there for it isn't technically a rip off you are getting published .
01-29-2008, 12:45 PM   #11

it wasn't until after i recieved my first book that i learned it was a vanity press I don't want to pay to have my photos published either that is why i only bought one book
01-29-2008, 12:49 PM   #12
Veteran Member

you have 3 posts and you registered 3 days ago.

i would give more credability to a blind poodle than to anything you have to say.

i would be very surprised if you even have a camera in your posession.
01-29-2008, 12:51 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amazon80 Quote
it wasn't until after i recieved my first book that i learned it was a vanity press I don't want to pay to have my photos published either that is why i only bought one book
Didn't you just say above you are getting ready to buy another one? I have heard of these a lot, the whos who of america books have been seen to be like this too. They will put you in the book if you order one, this is just a way to sell more books. I don't know if this is technically a scam, it is a scam if they don't actually have a contest, but if they do have a contest then they aren't really doing anything wrong. They just publish everybodys' photos for you and if you want to you can buy a book. I would never do it though.
01-29-2008, 12:57 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by travis_cooper Quote
Didn't you just say above you are getting ready to buy another one? I have heard of these a lot, the whos who of america books have been seen to be like this too. They will put you in the book if you order one, this is just a way to sell more books. I don't know if this is technically a scam, it is a scam if they don't actually have a contest, but if they do have a contest then they aren't really doing anything wrong. They just publish everybodys' photos for you and if you want to you can buy a book. I would never do it though.
those who's who in america ones are absolutely terrible. they blow smoke up your rear making you think you were actually selected, and when you say hey, it sounds like a nice feather in your cap...bam, its a ton of money for this option, a little less for this or that...its like, um, you wanna publish me, i dont care if you do or not, im not paying. and pushy? oh hell yes, they are extremely pushy.

sorry, you want to print my stuff-pictures, work history, stories,....you either ask me to allow you to do so, or you pay me. If I wanted to pay to get my stuff in a book, I'd be ordering a picture book from mpix or another place. Not something that too closely sounds like a scam, or at least a ripoff.
06-25-2015, 11:21 PM   #15

Ok so I'm reading this, noticing 90% of everything written here is from 2007-2008 but me and my mother were going through pictures and we found the picture pulse mom kept the letter they had sent, and it broke my heart finding out it was a scam. Because little 2 year old me was supposed to be in said book
Closed Thread