Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2012, 03:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
BBC: 'Booth babes' stir controversy at 2012 CES

BBC News - 'Booth babes' stir controversy at 2012 CES (Flash video)

01-13-2012, 03:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Didn't see anything in the video that you couldn't see walking down the boardwalk at the beach on any summer day. So it's winter in Vegas... it's also VEGAS! Skin (and there wasn't a lot of it in this video) is a common and accepted sales tool there.

Mike
01-13-2012, 05:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

ROFL, tame, you see more on Bondi Beach. As for the objectification of women (which I think the story is supposed to be about), I think it is a bit cute of the media trying to beat up on the tech industry when they do the same thing themselves (just watch the news, the weather, game shows and advertisements, you get the picture). Oh, and I don't think the BBC is innocent of this either. Is it right? Well that depends on your point of view. Is it hypocritical of the media? You bet it is!
01-13-2012, 06:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Heh, my objection would be against a calculated distraction from the products themselves (but that is marketing (=commercial propaganda) for you in general ). I think I'm increasingly getting the point about a general attitude towards women as well (which as an assumption marketing makes about us men might not be exactly flattering as such ). Otoh, trying to do something concrete (such as a ban) about this particular thing (never mind the (alleged ) attitude behind it) would be prone to result in a depressing farce in its own right.

01-13-2012, 08:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Those tech show booth girls/women are no different than the ones at Auto trade shows, Comic book conventions, motorcycle shows, Video-game conventions, etc etc. Heck, I even remember them when I was a kid in Atlanta at the Georgia poultry conventions (dont ask me why I was there). It is the same when you walk into a small retail store or privately owned shop...always eye candy, regardless of how helpful he//she is.

Jason
01-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
I've been to CES the last two years but didn't go this year; this is nothing new and it's not likely going to change. However, anytime I went to a booth to talk to someone about their product and had to talk to a "booth babe" that didn't know the ins and outs of the company's product(s), I lost a lot of respect for that company. In fact, in 2010 this happened so I asked to speak with a manager or the owner if s/he was around and he (the owner) happened to be. I told him attractive women might work but I just wanted to get information about his products and I didn't get what I needed from his "booth babes" so I wouldn't be writing about his products.

I guess when I went it was as press (a writer/editor) so I didn't care about the attractive women, just getting what I needed for work. I guess if you want to oogle at women while you're there, there are better places to do it (it's Vegas!). Plus, the last two years I went to CES they held AVN essentially next door, lol.
01-13-2012, 09:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yup, 'booth-babes' are hardly new or specific to CES. The BBC flick was good - IMO - in providing multiple angles to it (?).
01-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #8
Pentaxian

it's also a farce given the biggest marketing to Women the fashion industry Objectifies women far more

even Benjikan participates

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/171573-twelve-sexiest-models...er-2012-a.html

01-13-2012, 09:13 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I'm fond of...The Golden Globes, myself.
01-13-2012, 09:53 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Its just straight up marketing, the real tragedy is that almost all of the "women in technology" that they interviewed are just tech writers, they are about as into technology as the booth babe models who are more into shopping and luxury cars than they are logic or engineering.
01-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #11
Banned

MORE BOOTH BABES: This Is How Crappy Gadget Companies Get You To Look At Their Stuff

More CES Booth Babes

01-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

happens in every industry of course. NAMM especially, yikes!!

I am in the medical industry and every year at the big annual conferences, we noticed the companies with booth babes always had the most traffic. In this setting, usually more subtle than women in bikinis lying on a speed boat, etc...One of our competitors who made cardiac devices hired some models to walk on a treadmill all day, and they pulled all the traffic away from our lonely aisle. The next year, we decided to hire some fitness models to exercise at our booth on a universal machine and other common training equipment. Our marketing dept hired 2 women and a man. Well, the women showed up and were very big bodybuilder/wrestler types, nice as can be but definitely not what we thought we were getting, lol. All the crowd once again funneled over to the competitor's booth with the babe in the leotard on a treadmill.
01-13-2012, 10:26 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Slow "News" day.....
01-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #14
Inactive Account

I personally was disgusted at the flagrant, in-your-face, flaunting of lewd Nikon cameras, all dolled up in red. So crass its just unbelievable.

Dave
01-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Those tech show booth girls/women are no different than the ones at Auto trade shows, Comic book conventions, motorcycle shows, Video-game conventions, etc etc. Heck, I even remember them when I was a kid in Atlanta at the Georgia poultry conventions (dont ask me why I was there). It is the same when you walk into a small retail store or privately owned shop...always eye candy, regardless of how helpful he//she is.

Jason
They mentioned auto shows, and even before the interviewee mentioned it that was what came to my mind. In any area where there are more males than females who are fans this will be effective to some extent. Oddly, it seemed to me that some of the women whom they interviewed who were critical of the booth babes could have passed for "babes" themselves. Was that just a coincidence?