Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2012, 05:04 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The existence of the Soviet Union made for a lot of interesting stuff, e.g. in Finland's politics... Contrarywise, though I'm sure the politburo members were just as ruthless infighters as any corporate executives, I'm sure the existence of the capitalist dialectical threat on a Marxist country was felt equally beneficial to the elite there.

01-24-2012, 07:36 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
The existence of the Soviet Union made for a lot of interesting stuff, e.g. in Finland's politics... Contrarywise, though I'm sure the politburo members were just as ruthless infighters as any corporate executives, I'm sure the existence of the capitalist dialectical threat on a Marxist country was felt equally beneficial to the elite there.
The paradox I tried to convey was that that the benefits of Communism [to the public/mass] were perhaps inversely proportional to the distance to Moscov . The USSR certainly had its own elite in power, very different and much more static shceme (than the US) though (also opaque, I suppose the inner workings are still a bit of a mystery, as in, say, how Khrushchev got into power after Stalin and how he was dethroned).

The political scene here certainly got kinky due to Soviet influence; compared to, say, Estonia (never mind the Russians themselves) we got off with limited damage though.

Last edited by jolepp; 01-25-2012 at 02:04 AM. Reason: logic inversed, fixed + clarification
01-24-2012, 07:41 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
The political scene here certainly got kinky due to Soviet influence; compared to, say, Estonia (never mind the Russians themselves) we got off with limited damage though.
And for that we owe our grandparents a big debt of gratitude... and even to Urkki, in a way... Finland could so easily been Estonia.