Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
free portrait offer

so I want some portrait images to put in a portfolio and I offer free portraits in my studio in on line free advert board in the UK called Gumtree.

What I don't understand is I get a few responses saying they would like a shoot, but when I email them back to say give me a date and time they would like they either never respond [ so why did they bother?] or they then have some problem and they will contact later which they never do.

So how the **** do you get a some sitters for portfolio portraits?

It's not my advert I get responses, albeit not many.

It can't be my attitude or manner I get wedding bookings and that's a hard one to sell these days. with so many people buying cameras and offering free or next to nothing wedding photography.

Any bright marketing ideas any one??

01-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Do them cheap but not free.
01-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
People don't trust free. I've been told that if you put an appliance or anything of value on you're curb with a sign on it saying "Free take It" It will sit there for weeks. Just set it there with a price on it and it will be stolen by tomorrow. Go figure.........
01-29-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Run a contest. The winner gets a portrait. (everyone's a winner)

01-29-2012, 10:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Say you're charging and tell them that they were such a good model that you're doing it for free once they get there. Or tell them that if they bring a friend, it's free. If a second person is connected, it makes the chance of flaking out less.

People find it way to easy to back out of commitments online. That's all this is. It has nothing to do with you or your method of advertising.
01-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Join a website like Model Mayhem and see if you can set up some TFP sessions.
01-30-2012, 08:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Or, be honest in person. I promise, people use all kinds of come-ons if you're a 'pretty girl' and there's a ton of scams out there even if you mostly come from *behind* the camera. You've probably got to ask yourself what your own intentions are, there. A lot of people can smell sketchy like a fart in an elevator, at least before too long.

You've got to ask yourself: Is it the photography you're interested in, or something about the particular subjects? If it's about the photography, shoot the subjects you *can* get. It won't serve you ill later.

01-31-2012, 03:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks every one, I am with MM and have done some tfp but I was after couples for the studio wall images/portfolio. I wanted mr average joe, not good looking models, hence the placing of the ad in a public advert location.
However I suspect, as mentioned, the free is the problem and I will try with a offer of some type and see what happens.