Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Bill Maher : most Americans are...

01-30-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Education doesn't make you smart and being uneducated doesn't make you dumb.
01-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
George W. Bush had two Ivy League degrees.
01-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Uneducated increases the likelihood of dumb in this context though. People have said, on this very forum, that I am a poster child of this.

01-30-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Proof and no proof all in the same article:

Is Newt Gingrich unelectable? A look at how he's perceived in Wisconsin and nationally - JSOnline
01-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

"Dumb and Uninformed" might be a better description, or better yet, "Dumb and ill-informed."

Lots of Master's degrees being given out by the likes of Oral Roberts U, where many graduates don't "believe in" evolution, think the earth is 8000 years old, think climate change is a complete fabrication, think gay people can just change preference (or will go directly to hell,) etc, etc.

On the other hand there are folks with only high-school diplomas who are extremely well-read, are inventors, authors, computer geniuses... and understand things like evolution, the scientific method, have an accurate sense of history, and can find the continent they live in on the globe.

01-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #7
Banned

intelligence isn't always a product of education. a person can be intelligent with poor, little or even no proper education. however, an intelligent person can by definition be ignorant, because ignorance is a product of lack of knowledge, and knowledge is what is gained through education. the modern definition of 'dumb' is essentially a 'cover-all', meaning that it can be used to describe someone who is unintelligent, uneducated, stupid, ignorant, etc. so I really dislike the word 'dumb'. using it in my opinion negates anyones ability to call someone else 'dumb'. I think the most proper description here (and I agree with Bill in every manner, unfortanately) would be ignorant. we are ignorant due to poor education. not dumb, just ignorant.

01-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
intelligence isn't always a product of education. a person can be intelligent with poor, little or even no proper education. however, an intelligent person can by definition be ignorant, because ignorance is a product of lack of knowledge, and knowledge is what is gained through education. the modern definition of 'dumb' is essentially a 'cover-all', meaning that it can be used to describe someone who is unintelligent, uneducated, stupid, ignorant, etc. so I really dislike the word 'dumb'. using it in my opinion negates anyones ability to call someone else 'dumb'. I think the most proper description here (and I agree with Bill in every manner, unfortanately) would be ignorant. we are ignorant due to poor education. not dumb, just ignorant.
right, ignorant vs stupid............... It's OK to be ignorant.. it's not ok to be stupid...........

Dumb is that you can't speak as in deaf dumb and blind..........
too many meanings...
Definition of DUMB
1a : lacking the human power of speech <dumb animals> b of a person often offensive : lacking the ability to speak
2: temporarily unable to speak (as from shock or astonishment) <struck dumb with fear>
3: not expressed in uttered words <dumb grief>
4: silent; also : taciturn
5: lacking some usual attribute or accompaniment; especially : having no means of self-propulsion <a dumb barge>
6a : lacking intelligence : stupid b : showing a lack of intelligence <asking dumb questions> c : requiring no intelligence <dumb luck>
7: not having the capability to process data <a dumb terminal> — compare intelligent 3a
— dumb·ly adverb
— dumb·ness noun

01-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
It's OK to be ignorant.. it's not ok to be stupid...........
Agree "dumb" is a vague word.

It's OK to be ignorant, it's not OK to be proud of it.

EDIT: Jeff this is not directed at you in any way, just to be clear.

Last edited by riff; 01-30-2012 at 11:55 PM.
01-30-2012, 05:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I'll give you a gold star for effort on either count.
01-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
As I understand it from the GOP mutts, Education makes you a commie and no education makes you a republican.
01-31-2012, 06:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Sounds like Marr is reworking John Stuart Mill's old quote regarding conservatives:

"I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it."

O for the good old days when politicians could trash each other with a little civility.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 01-31-2012 at 06:48 AM.
01-31-2012, 06:30 AM   #13
Banned

01-31-2012, 10:17 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Well let's see neither Steve Jobs nor Bill Gates actually finished college. Seems to me both of them did okay. There's formal education and self-education. I personally believe a lot more in the latter type than the former actually. Photography aside maybe I've learned far more on my own than I have with teachers for most subjects. I could have taught half of my graphics classes in college by the time I took them just to get a degree on the job paperwork and even the one teacher I had several times admitted that.

I was out reading every student in my class at a college level by the time I was 7. I was lousy at certain types of higher math and unfortunately completely uninterested in certain types of science (Biology, cutting up frogs and such, ugh!) but totally brilliant at most other subjects that were taught in school to the point where even the teachers in the advanced classes were suggesting placement p/t in college for those subjects well before I even graduated junior high school. Bad higher math skills or not I could have skipped 3 primary grades if my Mom hadn't decided that it would make me socially stunted to go there.

(Like I was ever going to be popular anyway? I was a designated school freak from day 1. Any kid that can walk into a classroom and read whole encyclopedia entries when the rest of the class is only starting to read Dick and Jane is definitely not going to be popular. I was lucky I survived 12 years of regular school.)

I never got all that much out of school actually until I went to college and got into advanced placement classes there. I just read way too much not to get bored. History, geography, literature, I pretty much had those all covered on my own, early on. Like Robert Goren on LOCI, my library card has always been my most useful tool. The few teachers I've had who worked with me, challenged me, who didn't try to teach me simply by route and syllabus I have really appreciated them, but they have always been too few and too far between to make school much of a joyful proposition for me.

The biggest financial mistake I ever made was sinking 25K into several years of college just trying to get that darned piece of paper employers seem to find so necessary. I'm totally in the hole financially speaking and I have nothing to show for it now. Those courses? Worthless. Totally unpractical as it turned out.

Not being formally schooled doesn't automatically mean being ill educated. There are a lot of people in this country who did not do well in formal schooling situations who are fully literate human beings and there are also college educated people who can barely type a coherent sentence too. How much access a kid has to the local library? How much encouragement a kid gets from the people around him or her to find what they love and are good at? It can make a huge difference in life.

The reason people like Jobs and Gates succeeded so well in life sans college wasn't just because they were innately brilliant. It was because they recognized what they were good at, followed that muse, educated themselves in what they needed to know, and went for it. Took me more years than I even like to think about to get that idea into my head and I'm considered pretty smart in terms of book learning and did go to college so there you go. Being considered bloody brilliant at some things doesn't mean you can't be dumb as a doorknob at times too.

Fact is I've never had a major interest in politics. I find the whole process admittedly yawn provoking. I don't believe in anything the politicians say. I actually spent most of Civil Government listening to a spectacularly bad teacher drone on in monotone desperately trying not to fall asleep in my chair. It was just that bad. I've caught up a bit since then via books, but honestly the topic still makes me bored and discouraged. I get it now, mostly, and I read the news and comprehend it all mostly, I just don't like the subject well enough to want to devote too much time towards it. I find politics pretty pointless overall. I'm sure the folks in Washington would violently disagree with me on that score, but at times I honestly think I'd rather have a root canal than listen to one more candidate for office spewing total nonsense that even they don't really believe.

But not having an interest in something? No schooling? I don't automatically equate that with being dumb. I've met way too many people in my life who never even finished high school who are so smart at one thing or another that they can just awe me. It's not always about intellect or schooling, this life. It's also about aptitude, passion, and a willingness to educate yourself to do something you love too. Yeah, a lot of people in this country are totally dumb when it comes to politics. But then again, when was the last time we actually had a political system and candidates in this country that people could believe in?

Why should they care enough to really educate themselves or to keep on working the system? What good does it do really? Lately it's all lies, special interest groups, partisanship and even people like me who are not naturally inclined towards an avid interest politics, totally get that. It doesn't take a degree from Harvard to see the mess this country is in lately...
01-31-2012, 07:09 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
(and I agree with Bill in every manner, unfortanately)
Probably more so about being the poster child part.

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Well let's see neither Steve Jobs nor Bill Gates actually finished college.
They are really the exceptions to the rule though.