Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-31-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
NASA's Groovy Concept Art for the Orbiting Cities of the Future

NASA's Groovy Concept Art for the Orbiting Cities of the Future - Design - The Atlantic Cities

And where is my flying car?

01-31-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful pictures and great ideas. The end of that article about gave me a stroke!

"Seriously, why hasn't anyone built these things yet? Get on it, Obama!"

Doesn't he know that this administration has declared space a sinkhole for tax money and has effectively killed manned space exploration?
01-31-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Beautiful pictures and great ideas. The end of that article about gave me a stroke!

"Seriously, why hasn't anyone built these things yet? Get on it, Obama!"

Doesn't he know that this administration has declared space a sinkhole for tax money and has effectively killed manned space exploration?
Manned space exploration is a huge sinkhole for tax money. There isn't anything you can do with a manned mission that can't be done with robots and telepresence for much less. Once you add a human presence into a mission the costs begin to go up exponentially.

The idea of human colonization of space is just as much a pipe dream now as it was then. But they are still cool renderings.
01-31-2012, 04:58 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Manned space exploration is a huge sinkhole for tax money. There isn't anything you can do with a manned mission that can't be done with robots and telepresence for much less. Once you add a human presence into a mission the costs begin to go up exponentially.

The idea of human colonization of space is just as much a pipe dream now as it was then. But they are still cool renderings.
yeah, actually there is something you can't do with a robot/crawler and a camera: Pick up a rock and take a look at it. Bring it back inside your vehicle/habitat and feel the surface. Break it open and feel the difference between the weathered exterior and a fresh break. Taste it (yes I am serious). Climb up on top of a boulder at the base of a rock outcrop and bust off a piece from 10 feet up, where your robot can't reach. Take a look around at small, subtle clues that are hard to discern even for a high-resolution camera with high-bandwidth data channels, but are trivially easy for trained eyes and wetware to see.

Costs more - of course it does. BUT robots and telepresence can absolutely NOT provide everything a human can do, except in pipe dreams...

Jim

01-31-2012, 07:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
yeah, actually there is something you can't do with a robot/crawler and a camera: Pick up a rock and take a look at it. Bring it back inside your vehicle/habitat and feel the surface. Break it open and feel the difference between the weathered exterior and a fresh break. Taste it (yes I am serious). Climb up on top of a boulder at the base of a rock outcrop and bust off a piece from 10 feet up, where your robot can't reach. Take a look around at small, subtle clues that are hard to discern even for a high-resolution camera with high-bandwidth data channels, but are trivially easy for trained eyes and wetware to see.

Costs more - of course it does. BUT robots and telepresence can absolutely NOT provide everything a human can do, except in pipe dreams...

Jim
Some people have no imagination or dreams either. I'd like to have seen a robot fix the Hubble, or the Skylab, or........adjust to something the big brains on Earth never anticipated.

Anyway, nice concept art.
02-01-2012, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #6
Banned

we need to be more concerned with protecting what we already have and feeding the starving people of the world before we think about polluting space with artificial suburbia. but the ideas are cool, ill say that much.
02-02-2012, 10:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
we need to be more concerned with protecting what we already have and feeding the starving people of the world before we think about polluting space with artificial suburbia. but the ideas are cool, ill say that much.
Agreed.

02-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Agreed.
I'll add my +2 to this.