Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Romney Set to Win Big in Florida

Posted in full with permission from

Electoral-vote.com: President, Senate, House Updated Daily

The (Republican) empire strikes back. The Republican establishment, shocked after Newt Gingrich's win in South Carolina, put everything it had into defeating Gingrich in Florida. It appears to have worked. There have been an endless series of polls there in the past few days and Romney has clearly retaken the lead by about 8-10%. Anything less than a Romney win in or close to double digits would be seen as an upset.

For a brief while after the South Carolina primary, Gingrich was ahead, but the massive Romney attack machine, which outspent Gingrich by millions of dollars, coupled with numerous endorsements from Republican leaders, have put Romney safely back in the lead. Gingrich, almost conceding defeat today, has vowed to continue fighting until the convention. But candidates on the verge of a big loss always say that to avoid making the loss even bigger. In actuality, candidates don't drop out because they are losing in the polls or losing actual primaries. They drop out because campaigns have become unbearably expensive and they are out of money. But Gingrich is a special case. He really hates Romney on account of the withering attacks he received from Romney-allied superPACs in Iowa and might go on longer than usual just to annoy Romney.

01-31-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Newt Gingrich Wanks Himself Through the Campaign - The Rude Pundit
02-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Congrats to Mitt....he did win big.
02-01-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
Banned

Conservative Pundits Criticize Romney Gaffe: 'I'm Not Concerned About The Very Poor

QuoteQuote:
Conservative pundits are shaking their heads at Mitt Romney's latest gaffe about wealth.

On Wednesday, the Republican frontrunner said, "I'm not concerned about the very poor," adding that there was a social safety net in place and that he was focused on the middle class. Watch the segment in the clip above.

The statement was roundly criticized as the latest in a line of remarks that make Romney -- who is worth between $190 million and $250 million -- sound out-of-touch with ordinary Americans.

Talking Points Memo rounded up conservative criticism of Romney's gaffe on Wednesday. The Weekly Standard's John McCormack called it "the most idiotic thing a politician has ever said," and Michelle Malkin reacted with the word "Facepalm."

Other pundits like The National Review's Jonah Goldberg lamented that Romney's gaffes seemed to support for caricatures of conservatives. At the American Spectator, Aaron Goldstein wrote, "Romney has to stop handing Obama weapons that can be used against him."
Conservative Pundits Criticize Mitt Romney Gaffe: 'I'm Not Concerned About The Very Poor'

02-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Limbaugh was upset that Romney thinks there should be any safety net at all.
02-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I took a look at the guy's stated beliefs the other day just to see who would likely be running versus Obama. As bad as things are I don't think Obama has all that much to worry about if this is the best the Republicans can do. Even most of the moderate Republicans I know wouldn't vote for him versus Obama based on what he's for. The truly conservative ones maybe. I was really hoping for a bit more of a choice come election day but I definitely feel a bit better knowing that Gingrich won't likely be on the ballot at least. I still cannot believe the man actually ran for office. That really took some nerve, I'll give him that, but that so many people actually supported the guy given who he is and what's he done? That just makes me a bit queasy to even think about.
02-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know in theory there's a lot of difference between a Romney administration and an Obama administration, but in practice I have a tough time figuring out what that would be (except for judicial nominations).

02-02-2012, 05:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I know in theory there's a lot of difference between a Romney administration and an Obama administration, but in practice I have a tough time figuring out what that would be (except for judicial nominations).
First, one would have to figure out why Romney wants to be president, other than to go where his father went, or tried to go. (A bit like GWB, there) Whether you agree with it or not, and whether he has entirely accomplished it or not, Obama had some plans--a health care program, etc. What is it that Romney wants to accomplish other than not be Barack Obama?
02-02-2012, 06:56 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
What is it that Romney wants to accomplish other than not be Barack Obama?
That sums up the Republican plan in a nutshell.
It's like that old joke about Canadians defining themselves as "not American". The Republicans define themselves as "not Obama". It would be nice to see if they have anything beyond that, but I really don't think they are thinking past getting elected.
Earth to Mitt: If you win, you have a country to run. Think about that.
02-02-2012, 07:13 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
That sums up the Republican plan in a nutshell.
It's like that old joke about Canadians defining themselves as "not American". The Republicans define themselves as "not Obama". It would be nice to see if they have anything beyond that, but I really don't think they are thinking past getting elected.
Earth to Mitt: If you win, you have a country to run. Think about that.
It is a problem which the last President Bush and the would-be Vice-President Palin shared--they both didn't really have that much affinity for governing.
02-02-2012, 07:24 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
For starters, less liberal social policy - and yes, any Supreme Court vacancies would go to very conservative judges.

Then we have the general atmosphere re. Congress - presumably the virulent anti Obama stuff will be put away, and traditionally this means a Republican President governing towards the middle gets things done a Democrat has no chance to. But what? And is this really going to be the case what with the militant radical right wing of the party?

Certainly there will be opposition to any social programs, education, etc within his own party. The finances will continue to be a mess, the government will continue not to be effectively pruned and reorganized, and so on. The Republicans, had they been able to see past their hatred, have let a golden opportunity pass to achieve some of their stated goals re. government reduction - a Democratic President - especially one like Obama - would have provided lots of cover for this.

For me the less liberal social policy makes Romney a non-starter. (I still remember the relief I felt with some of Clinton's early executive orders, after 12 years of repressive policies...)

At worst, if Republicans remain a force in Congress, Koch inspired attacks on Democratic power bases - unions, education - will go national, with Romney having to ride the wave.
02-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Newt Gingrich Wanks Himself Through the Campaign - The Rude Pundit
That was rude, dude.
02-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
That was rude, dude.