LiveLeak.com - Pile-up in snowstorm, Finland

02-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow! (10char)
02-04-2012, 06:10 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We'll probably see some of that here if it ever gets around to snowing this winter. It's amazing to see how many people seem forget how to drive in a few months of warm weather.
02-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #4
Pentaxian

<sigh> A whole lot of drivers who shoulda slowed down to match conditions...

One more reason I am grateful to have a job that lets me stay safely at home working while the idjits are out there attempting to drive full speed on snowy roads with steep hills...

Jim

02-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Cool! Reminds me of the test video I made with my GoPro Hero2 cam mounted to my windshield. I was testing low light conditions, but it also was snowing a bit.

It's been a MUCH warmer than usual winter here, almost no snow to speak of.

Pat
02-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That camera rocks!!
02-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
<sigh> A whole lot of drivers who shoulda slowed down to match conditions...

One more reason I am grateful to have a job that lets me stay safely at home working while the idjits are out there attempting to drive full speed on snowy roads with steep hills...

Jim
Did you get much snow a couple of weeks ago? My son lives in Wenatchee and was trying to get to Olympia on that Friday to pick up his son for his every other weekend visit, but he couldn't get over either Stevens Pass or Snoqualamie (sp?) as both were closed. He had 15" in Wenatchee and there was over 20" in Olympia.

02-06-2012, 11:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some drivers don't need bad weather at all
02-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Did you get much snow a couple of weeks ago? My son lives in Wenatchee and was trying to get to Olympia on that Friday to pick up his son for his every other weekend visit, but he couldn't get over either Stevens Pass or Snoqualamie (sp?) as both were closed. He had 15" in Wenatchee and there was over 20" in Olympia.
We had 11 inches at the house... Shoveled our driveway a couple of times, hit a couple of older neighbors' driveways too, so they could get out if needed. Our office was closed down for a couple of days, but since I telecommute anyway I just got to keep on working. Big issue around here was the power outages (trees breaking and taking the lines down), since most of the region still uses overhead lines vs underground.

The passes were definitely shut down to allow the avalanche control teams to do their work. VERY much a necessity when you get a heavy snow, especially the wet sloppy stuff that binds so itself like a layer of concrete. Get that stuff on an open slope and it's going to come downhill at some point! Oh, and you came pretty darn close on the name, it's Snoqualmie

Jim
02-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
some swearing so let the little ones watch

LiveLeak.com - Pile-up in snowstorm, Finland
Looks like I-75 here in the Atlanta area during last January's "blizzard." The trip from the airport to my home, ususally about 20-25 minutes, took me two hours of white-knuckle terror, terror induced by the antics of other drivers! I watched one dolt in a Mustang GT repeatedly fail to move his crate because he wouldn't feather the gas. He ended up in a ditch. And yes, people do forget how to drive in the snow, if they ever knew.
02-14-2012, 01:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here in Toronto we don't need bad weather for a pile up, we can even do it during nice, clear days...lol
02-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
So can we!

Some years ago my wife and I were heading into Hot-lanta on I-85 south when we began to see damaged cars, usually with front and rear end damage, pulled off on the shoulder. After a MILE or so of this carnage, we took surface roads, fearing to arrive at the epicenter of the huge pileup. I think that, given that it was summer and there'd been no rain for a while, a sudden shower had slicked the roads and our local heroes (idiots?) hadn't the sense to slow down and stop riding ten feet behind the car in front. But, what else is new?