Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2008, 08:49 AM   #1

Help Planning Euro Trip

Well this summer I plan on going to europe for 2 maybe 3 weeks to see old friends, family and take pictures!
I lived in the Netherlands for 4 years and Ireland for 2 so I will be going there deffinietly and London as well to say hi to a great-aunt.
Besides that Im not sure where to head yet...
Any cities a must see?? A list of your top euro cities would be of great help to me.. I know europe quite well and have been to... Germany, Belgium, Spain, Portugal, Praque, Disney World in Paris [ not paris city itselfs sadly ], Norway, Denmark... Think thats all! So I'll probably not visit those countries again but I may go to certain cities in the above countries. At the moment Italy is at the top of the list for new places to visit.
Any help with this would be wonderful!
Also are there any euro countries with competitive camera gear prices compared to the US? I doubt it but was just wandering..

Thanks to all

PS. Also whats the best storage solution for pictures? Laptop? Lots of memory cards? One of those harddrive card reader things? Some place on the net to upload fullsized images?

01-01-2008, 09:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just returned from 3 weeks in Italy. I highly recommend it, especially if you're packing your camera. We (this in not a plug) utilized a book written by Rick Steves titled "Italy 2007" (it's now 2008), which provided us with a wealth of money saving tips as well as how to take the less beaten path. Summer can be busy there, but the photo ops are enormous. Some of our favorite cities; Varenna/Bellagio on Lake Como, Venice, Florence, Montepulciano (anywhere in Tuscany/Umbria), all the cities in Cinque Terre. Tip, take plenty of SD cards and have fun!
01-01-2008, 09:44 AM   #3
axl
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Come to London for sure. A lot to see in the city itself and within short distance...
Otherwise I only can recommend Prague (but you said you've been there already). Krakow in Poland is really nice, the Main Square, lot of churches and Wawel castle. If you are after mountains then there are Tatras on border of Poland and Slovakia, or Alps in Austria are nice. And if in Austria, you could stop in Wiena. Beautifull city...
01-01-2008, 09:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If you bypass Italy you may regret it in the future - it is MY favourite places on earth and I've done a fair amount of travelling.

I don't know how you planning the air tickets but, keep in mind you can cross the channel from London to Paris using the train and at least you will have taken in Paris.

God, 2 or 3 weeks just doesn't seem long enough if you are visiting friends and relatives.

For storage, I personally would recommend an external drive which can take cards.

Have fun.

01-01-2008, 10:24 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the info already guys!
Im deffinietly interested in eastern euro countries, besides prague havent visited that area much at all. Well Italy is more or less garunteed to be visited!
Im not at all keen on going to london to shoot pictures... Ive been there.. 20 times maybe [ no exageration we visited atleast 2-3 times a year, after the 3rd time i was just dragged along.. ] but I will see I may take a day out to some of the smaller coastal towns [ for personaly waterscape assignment ive given myself ].
I believe we're flying to Amsterdam or London and from there we take the train to mainland [ as london\cork is firstdestination ] and after that Im not sure yet...

On the storage front Ive got about 6GB of cards spread across two cameras [ DL, S3 [ Canon Powershot ] ] but I know that wont hold up very long, so I will most likely find an external HD. But Im VERY thankfull the DL uses AA's and SD cards! Both are very easily available when needed in an emergency! [ As does the S3! ]

Thanks
01-01-2008, 03:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikhail Quote
Well this summer I plan on going to europe for 2 maybe 3 weeks to see old friends, family and take pictures!
I lived in the Netherlands for 4 years and Ireland for 2 so I will be going there deffinietly and London as well to say hi to a great-aunt.
Besides that Im not sure where to head yet...
Any cities a must see?? A list of your top euro cities would be of great help to me.. I know europe quite well and have been to... Germany, Belgium, Spain, Portugal, Praque, Disney World in Paris [ not paris city itselfs sadly ], Norway, Denmark... Think thats all! So I'll probably not visit those countries again but I may go to certain cities in the above countries. At the moment Italy is at the top of the list for new places to visit.
Any help with this would be wonderful!
Italy is good, very good, however, I think Italy you should experience with more time.
Toscane, Sicily, Calabria all need seriously spending time to appriciate in my opinion.
IMO your time planned is too short for a place like Italy, except for city trips.
Do Rome (3 days) , Venice (2 days), Florence (2 days), Sienna (1 day), Lucca (1 day), Pisa (1 day) and Milan (1 day), then leave and come back another time to expieriene the country life.

There is so much more to see and experience.
Cities like Riga, Istanbul, Budapest, Vienna or Kiev. All great places to visit and make photos.
Don't go to Bucharest and Sofia, I think they are a waste of time.

Or: travel around the inland of Poland. Unexpectedly good, nature and culture.
Or: travel around the Greek Islands by boat, do Krete and do not forget the National Historic Museum of Athens.
Or: do a trip on the Nile, see Sakara, Gizeh and the national museum in Cairo,
Or: a motorcylce tour through Slovenia and Kroatia, see nice medievial coastal towns?
Or: North of Portugal, by car. Lisbon is nice for a few days, extend with a sailing trip to Madeira and walk the high altitude levadas and the Picu Rivu.
Or: do a mountain walk through the Alps, combine with a visit to the German, Swiss boarder area.
Or: any chance going to the Krim, Odessa?
Or: Just hike around the lower French Alps and the Provence, relax, enjoy the good life.

I don't know. Guess this question is too complicated for me to answer...

- Bert
01-01-2008, 06:59 PM   #7

Original Poster
Wow thanks bert! A very detailed list there that me and my girlfriend/family will need to go through! I know I cant get to everything in the time we have but we'll make the most of it! And it most certainly wont be our last trip to europe thats garunteed!

Thanks
01-02-2008, 12:53 PM   #8

Hi Mikhail.

Check out Slovenia. I've been there twice now and love it. Absolutely beautiful country and the people are very friendly. There's a lot to see from the mountains in the north to the Adriatic in the SW. Plus it borders eastern Italy (Trieste). I'll be going back again hopefully this year.

Also, you can't go wrong with Italy. I was just there in November for 10 days and had a great time.

Slick

01-02-2008, 07:18 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikhail Quote
I know I cant get to everything in the time we have but we'll make the most of it! And it most certainly wont be our last trip to europe thats garunteed!
Thanks
Mikhail, if you have only 2-3 weeks devote that time totally to Eastern Europe, someone advised Kiev and Odessa and I second that from there go Poland: Torun (academic city of Coppernicus), then Warsaw (3days) Krakow (3 days at least, when you there visit salt mine in Wieliczka it is close by, if you interested in WWII history from Krakow is close to Auschwitz-Birkenau)then Bratislava in Slovakia, then Vienna in Austria and Saltzburg -great mountain scenery, then to Ljubljana in Slovenia and further south to Rijeka in Croatia. From Rijeka you may continue exploring South-East of Europe or go directly to Venice in Italy and so on. However I think Italy deserves a separate trip alone for about a month. If you have an interest in architecture a city of Bucuresti in Romania is a must, it is called a Paris of the East, a place where two cultures and architectures meet, Latin and Byzant. I have been to all these places over a 30 years ago and they still in mine mind !

Have a great trip and don't forget your camera !

andy
01-10-2008, 12:44 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I had a lot of fun in Stuttgart, Germany. The Porche and Mercedes museums are there, and the relatively small city seemed to be devoid of tourists when we went in mid-August. While we were there on a Saturday, there was a big beer festival in a park in the middle of the city. I'm not sure how often they do that, but it was pretty cool to catch something like that.

Last edited by igowerf; 01-10-2008 at 02:52 PM.
01-10-2008, 02:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Berlin Can't wait to go back.
01-11-2008, 08:09 AM   #12
LED

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
Don't go to Bucharest
Why? Have you ever been to Romania?
01-11-2008, 08:34 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LED Quote
Why? Have you ever been to Romania?
Sorry if I offended you. That was unintended.

Yes, I've been to Romania several times, for several weeks, over several years.
I have a good friend living in Bucharest as well.

Have worked for the former Banca Agricola (did I spell that right?) now Raiffaisen bank.

However IMO Bucharest is not a very interesting place compared to the other cities I mentioned. The country is rather poor, nature is widely available.

I found there to be a big contrast between new rich and old poor people.
Also the price level does not equal the quality delivered.

The women are pretty by the way and the language seems a strange mix between russian and italian.

- Bert
01-11-2008, 10:26 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
2-3 weeks is very short.

I spent 17 days with family in france last year (first time back for my children since we lived there in the 19990's)

We spent 3 days in lyon, (where we had lived) 10 days in the south, and 4 days in paris.

There is not a question EVER about things to do, more on being realistic of what you can do in the time you have.

For paris itself, 4 days is good. We did the louvre (part of), Musee D'orsey, Mont Marthe, eifel tower, the catacombs, Saint Sulpice, Versailles, Champse elysee, Notre Damme.

In the south we did, avigonon, carcassonne, gourdes, cassis, arles, and a few other places as well as many short stops.

In the UK you can also go into the midlands, as there are many good spots dating back to the start of the industrial revolution, plus Warrick Castle, Stratford, You can also go to York which is a very nice city.

Again it is always a question of what you want to see because you will never see it all.
01-11-2008, 11:45 AM   #15
LED

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
Have worked for the former Banca Agricola (did I spell that right?) now Raiffaisen bank.

However IMO Bucharest is not a very interesting place compared to the other cities I mentioned. The country is rather poor, nature is widely available.

I found there to be a big contrast between new rich and old poor people.
Also the price level does not equal the quality delivered.

The women are pretty by the way and the language seems a strange mix between russian and italian.

- Bert
Yes, you spelled it right. Banca Agricola doesn't exist anymore, now it's part of Raiffeisen.

You're right in many ways. Bucharest isn't so interesting but the central area is a nice place to walk.

We don't have so many slavic words as we are a latin nation.

Maybe Bucharest isn't the best option, especially when you're here for the first time. We have other beautifull towns full of history - Sighisoara, Sibiu, Brasov. And there are more...
There are a lot of thing to be said about what can you see in Romania and which places to go.

For me Nederland is the favourite place, my son's godparents live there (in Neunen).