Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2012, 12:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Curious: Is It Just Me?

Just wondering if I am the only person here who has yet to click on any of the K-01 threads.

02-06-2012, 12:55 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, you probably are, Mike.

Even I have read a few of them. I won't spoil things by telling you any of its features or failings.
02-06-2012, 01:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Just been released from the lock-up Mike ?
02-06-2012, 02:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You haven't missed much. Excessive output from insufficient input. Think of the K01 announcement as a gearhead Rorschach marathon.

02-06-2012, 02:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I followed a few, but except for a few people talking some sense, I haven't seen such a lot of BS coming from what is supposed to be adults, in a long time
02-06-2012, 03:21 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The camera has stirred up a lot of debates and chatter on the internet- a record high for Pentax, I'd say! And despite its seeming shortcomings, I think it will be a huge hit among amateurs looking for a quality camera.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-06-2012, 04:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Most of the time these days I end up accessing the forum via the Tapatalk app on my iPhone and I get a partial list of new posts in my default opening view. Lately it has been just an absolute flood of K-01 threads. I get to see the initial line or two of the posts as a preview. From that I have figured out that it doesn't have a viewfinder....which alone puts me entirely out of the mind to read about the thing. I was under the impression that it hasn't actually gone on sale yet. At least that's the impression I get from the post preview blurbs. If so, that does indeed make all the flurry of posts about it almost comical. Having seen a thread about a form letter from Pentax generate thousands of replies it wasn't all that surprising; we have more than proven our ability to engage in endless blather based on little or nothing concrete.

So far it has been quite fun picking up wee little bits of information and speculation from the blurbs. Sort of like peeping through a keyhole at it.

02-06-2012, 06:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Just wondering if I am the only person here who has yet to click on any of the K-01 threads.
By clicking on this thread about not clicking on the new product threads, I have just excluded myself from any consideration to your club.
Double dang!

I have seen one image of the the K-01 but have yet to read and comprehend what it is. I just still really like and am satisfied with my K10 and K-7.
02-06-2012, 06:53 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I took offense at the denigration of something new about which we/they knew nothing and got way too involved in challenging unfounded assertions. I have since sworn off the actual threads.

IMHO K-01 has, for a user willing to learn how to use it, potentially nice image production capability in a feature-reduced body. It has competitive video capability. It will work well in a limited set of uses (and not at all in others) - in short for stills an analog for the KM w/in the K2DMD -> K2 -> KX -> KM -> K1000 line.

Users will need to learn how to hold it (like a classic film camera instead of iPhone fingers) to be happy.
02-06-2012, 07:38 AM   #10
Veteran Member

You probably are but so what. I've said repeatedly that we need to see output and get some user opinions about it. The Singapore Pentax Group got to use one for a day and their thread actually has some useful information, a few pictures with links to more, and provides the only really meaningful data yet - but even it is with firmware 0.33 or some such. If you were to read only one thread that would be the one IMHO.
02-06-2012, 07:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The camera has stirred up a lot of debates and chatter on the internet- a record high for Pentax, I'd say! And despite its seeming shortcomings, I think it will be a huge hit among amateurs looking for a quality camera.
....assuming they won't be looking on a bright sunny day.
02-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I have hidden the K-01 forum from view after reading all I cared to about it.
02-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
....assuming they won't be looking on a bright sunny day.
Honestly, most amateurs don't even know what a VF is these days, lol. They won't even think twice! Think about it- manufacturers stopped putting VF's into most of their point-and-shoots several years ago.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Honestly, most amateurs don't even know what a VF is these days, lol. They won't even think twice! Think about it- manufacturers stopped putting VF's into most of their point-and-shoots several years ago.
The secret is to have a good dSLR for those times that you want or need a VF.:ugh:
02-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
From that I have figured out that it doesn't have a viewfinder....which alone puts me entirely out of the mind to read about the thing.
Looks like there are 2 of us that haven't read about it. My buddy told me that it didn't have a VF, so I'm not interested at all. My wife has a small p&s without a VF and it absolutely drives me bonkers to take a picture with her camera. There is no way (at least for me) to see the screen in direct sunlight. To each his own. What the heck, I'm still having a hard time using my K20D.