Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

What kind of sick society are we living in?

Staff of Miramonte replaced pending sex abuse inquiry - latimes.com

02-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Society is no different today than it was 100 years ago. The difference is now these things get reported, where as before they were swept under the rug because no one wanted to acknowledge them. I read from a well respected author that sexual child abuse was even more common than now because families often slept in the same room or area whereas today children usually have their own room or sleeping area.
02-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
Inactive Account

We fairly recently had a scandal in my city when a female nursery school worker was caught making and distributing videos of babies and under-fives being subjected to the worst levels of abuse, let alone the Irish Catholic priests that have been getting away with some truly horrific stuff for decades.

Some sick people out there for sure, but fortunately they're rarer than you think - I used to work with paedophiles and sex offenders with learning disabilities and found out one of the reasons we always hear about any such cases on the news is largely because it's uncommon enough to be newsworthy. Rape of adults is very common indeed, so common that it's not seen as being worth reporting.
02-07-2012, 09:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildweasel Quote
We fairly recently had a scandal in my city when a female nursery school worker was caught making and distributing videos of babies and under-fives being subjected to the worst levels of abuse, let alone the Irish Catholic priests that have been getting away with some truly horrific stuff for decades.

Some sick people out there for sure, but fortunately they're rarer than you think - I used to work with paedophiles and sex offenders with learning disabilities and found out one of the reasons we always hear about any such cases on the news is largely because it's uncommon enough to be newsworthy. Rape of adults is very common indeed, so common that it's not seen as being worth reporting.
That sure sounds like societal sickness to me!

02-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What makes anyone think this kind of stuff is new? It's been going on for hundreds and thousands of years, if not millenia. Our society is actually showing that we are more enlightened and civilized than many societies in the past since when we find abuse like this it is exposed and condemned rather than being swept under the rug or ignored.

Mike
02-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

It happens all too often and in every country in the world. Luckily we dont live in such a place in America where child trafficking and sex slavery is as common as some places and all too often ignored.

Jason
02-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While the story maintains that the teachers, presumably those not under investigation, will be eventually returned to their posts at Miramonte, their reputations will be clouded, regardless of the outcome. Guilt by association, even if they knew nothing of the abuses.

Last edited by grhazelton; 02-08-2012 at 12:39 PM. Reason: typo
02-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I woke up the other day, signed on to check my email and the news only to read that a man who likely murdered his wife and who apparently had incestuous tendencies and who shouldn't have been near his kids had shoved a social worker out the door then hatchet chopped and blown up said kids and himself in an apparent murder suicide because one of his kids finally told someone that "Mommy was in the trunk." and therefor accidentally implicated him in his wife's murder. That's the kind of sick, twisted world we are living in, and I don't know about you but it's getting to the point where I can't even stand to read the news anymore. I can't even bear to think about what's going on in the world around me anymore. My brain just completely short circuits and goes into meltdown.....

02-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #9
Pentaxian

"For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, self-assuming, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, betrayers, headstrong, puffed up [with pride], lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God, having a form of godly devotion but proving false to its power"
04-11-2012, 01:06 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sick enough to make us puke,but not enough call us to action.what they are doing is in our nature,but our ego and culture have set no no's.
04-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Society is no different today than it was 100 years ago. The difference is now these things get reported, where as before they were swept under the rug because no one wanted to acknowledge them

Couldn't agree more.

A bit of a seperate issue... Drug and alcohol abuse; which has also very much existed for well over one hundred years. Here in North america drug abuse rates are significantly less now than what they were at any point in time before the 1950's. It just reported (and spun) differently.

What's also even more sad than that... About reporting in general. There's very few quality reporters out there. They simply don't dig deep enough or have any type of follow through. Reporters cater to their fortune 500 employers. Massive case in point... Look at how going to war with Iraq was reported in america; and compare it with any other country in the world. Reporters were spoonfed a press release story by the united states federal government; and never bothered to look into the facts
04-11-2012, 10:06 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I woke up the other day, signed on to check my email and the news only to read that a man who likely murdered his wife and who apparently had incestuous tendencies and who shouldn't have been near his kids had shoved a social worker out the door then hatchet chopped and blown up said kids and himself in an apparent murder suicide because one of his kids finally told someone that "Mommy was in the trunk." and therefor accidentally implicated him in his wife's murder. That's the kind of sick, twisted world we are living in, and I don't know about you but it's getting to the point where I can't even stand to read the news anymore. I can't even bear to think about what's going on in the world around me anymore. My brain just completely short circuits and goes into meltdown.....
It doesn't excuse it happening but these types of abuse have existed for ever. In ancient Greek society sleeping with young kids was accepted by society. It was still abuse.
In Afghanistan it is still an accepted practiced (Bach Bazi) and in fact this is one of the things that has gotten worse since the Taliban were kicked out. They would put you to death for it/ now the allies turn a blind eye to
World News: Afghanistan?s ?dancing boys? are invisible victims - thestar.com
Fortunately in our countries it is now taken seriously and is reported more frequently, but if you look back 50 years it was swept under the table because no-one wanted to talk about it