Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2012, 04:06 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bjake Quote
Don't think even one percent of us here will buy their last two releases.With the KR out of production and no work of replacement of the KR or K 5 they may be leaving us old timers out of their future plans to aim their marketing at the point and shoot crowd.
Jake
Maybe you're not the target of the last two product

Frogfish, post this in this thread : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q-forum/173865-pentax-q-failure-3.html

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Funny I should see this post here .. as today I went to the camera mall to pick up some bits and pieces before we pop off on holiday for a week to Hai Nan to warm these ol' bones (too bloody cold at 2 to 10C here in Shanghai for me) !

I went in and spoke to the owner of one of the Pentax shops about when she will get deliveries of the K-01 (March), 560/5.6 (don't know) and sales of the Q. This is what she said :

The Q is selling great to both young and very old (70-80 yr olds who previously used DSLRs but now just want something light and easy to pocket but with great IQ) but not so much to the in-betweenies.
Split equally between male and female buyers.
The males almost all buy it in black, the females almost all buy it in white.
Price is US$775 with two lenses (she told me which ones but I've forgotten which).

She then showed me dozens of shots on her laptop taken with the Q - pretty impressive I have to say, very sharp and good colour. She seemed really pleased with her sales of the Q and very enthusiastic over it's performance (this wasn't a song and dance for me as I've bought multiple lenses, a K7 and two K5's from her, so she knows very well which segment of the market I fall in).

Anyway I'd say the Q is selling really really well in Asia if her shop is anything to go by.
the Q seems to sell quite well in Asia, and the K-01 is obviously for those comming to P&S and whant something as simple as a P&S, but with the ability to go more serious in the future.

I think, if Pentax keep releasing some product often, they will be every month in photo magazine, and it's a kind of free ad.
And trust me, Ricoh really know how to sell copier to company, even the small ones.

02-11-2012, 04:25 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When they bought Pentax, they also bought Pentax's marketing bods, international reps, and distribution network. And Ricoh has seemed quite pro-active about advertising their products over here. I remember the big full page ads for the CX1, was very impressed with the technology. I can't recall seeing an advert for a Pentax compact in the last two years. DSLR, yes, Q, yes.

Ricoh's cameras have been pretty good in my opinion, but I think they've often overpriced their products, and unfortunately people expect the smaller company's products to be cheaper than Canikon. I'm sure this will change now they are selling to the comparitively large Pentax market.