Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the perception of Pentax changing?

I've noticed a few things lately and was wondering if anyone else has too. I am in the US so this may not be an issue elsewhere as I understand that Pentax has a much higher profile and reputation in places like France.

The recent releases of equipment, the purchase by Ricoh, and other factors such as the K-5 getting stellar reviews and ratings seem to me to have increased the visibility of Pentax. For example, I saw my first Pentax in the flesh in a store several months ago at Costco. WalMart is selling off the color K-r's. And the ad below is another example, I believe, because I do not recall another ad that I have received in the past from a major seller that was generic that named Pentax alongside Canon and Nikon as this ad does.

Just wanted to see if anyone else is getting the same feeling about this.

Last edited by Docrwm; 05-06-2013 at 08:12 PM.
02-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
Pentaxian

What did you see in Costco?
02-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm sorta getting that feeling just based on what Ricoh is doing. People out there obviously know of Pentax, otherwise there wouldn't have been such uproar on DPReviews.
02-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Maybe you'd like to tell that to some people over at "that" forum that shall remain nameless

02-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Those name placements are often paid for with Co-op advertising dollars. There is a scale cost for the placement. Large pica logos cost more than small pica plain font. Notice that only Canon and Nikon top plates are pictured - that costs money, too.

IMHO Ricoh spent some money. That's a bigger change than mere market perception.
02-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
What did you see in Costco?
K-r Kit.
02-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Those name placements are often paid for with Co-op advertising dollars. There is a scale cost for the placement. Large pica logos cost more than small pica plain font. Notice that only Canon and Nikon top plates are pictured - that costs money, too.

IMHO Ricoh spent some money. That's a bigger change than mere market perception.
That could well be, and as you say, that in-and-of itself is a positive change.

02-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Well, as far a name recognition, Pentax has nowhere to go but up. All of us old time users have done more to promote their cameras and lenses than the company did.
02-09-2012, 09:31 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Well, as far a name recognition, Pentax has nowhere to go but up. All of us old time users have done more to promote their cameras and lenses than the company did.
Going back to PDML days!
02-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
All of us old time users have done more to promote their cameras and lenses than the company did.
All of my friends that have DSLRs (only 3, but it's a small town) have Pentax because they wanted a DSLR & Pentax is what I turned 'em on to.
02-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
here in France, Pentax is still an outsider but with outstanding product for the price compared to Canikon (K-x/k-r and K-5), they gain some room in big shops (sort of equivalent of B&H for example) in Paris.
The fact that a lot of japaneses tourist ask for the Q and the K-5 and some lenses helped a lot i guess.

The photo press like outsiders when they compete with Canikon, and so Pentax was really praised.
02-09-2012, 11:19 PM   #12
Pentaxian

35 to 40 years ago, if you asked the average person to name the best cameras made, Pentax would most likely have been mentioned along with Leica and Nikon. Sadly, that changed through the years. I can remember in my younger years buying Modern Photography and reading the lens reviews and saving all I could to own a Spotmatic and the Takumars that were so highly regarded.
02-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #13
Veteran Member

This year I have traveled to Reunion, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, New York, San Fransisco, Vancouver, Victoria BC, Squamish, Whistler and I never saw a Pentax being used ever

Canon, Nikon, Sony, Nex iPhone everywhere.

I also visited B&H (x2) in New York and the Pentax stand was devoid of any interested purchasers.

I would say that Sony (as a relative newcomer) is gaining more users day by day
02-10-2012, 10:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Don't think even one percent of us here will buy their last two releases.With the KR out of production and no work of replacement of the KR or K 5 they may be leaving us old timers out of their future plans to aim their marketing at the point and shoot crowd.
Jake
02-11-2012, 02:51 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Maybe this is the right thread for this point:

We have evidence that Ricoh is very good at selling office equipment to commercial customers. This is an area where they've kicked Canon's butt. But I see NO evidence that Ricoh is currently competent at selling photographic gear to consumers. Where do existing Ricoh cams stand in the sales ratings? Way way down there, I gather.

Yes, Ricoh was once very good at producing and marketing cameras and lenses, but that was long long ago. I see posts here talking of Ricoh's miscues in K-01 marketing -- much buzz, but little coordination. Does Ricoh really have what it takes, to take on Canon, Nikon, Sony? Does Ricoh really know how to push Pentax's public perception?