Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Would you carry a camera to take photos at a funeral?
Yes 813.79%
No 3865.52%
Maybe 1118.97%
Undecided 11.72%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2012, 02:12 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I avoid funerals whenever possible. Alas, was not possible, twice in the last two years. One was fairly high-profile (he was a prominent public figure) but was limited to the large family -- and many had and used cameras. The other was very low-profile (he was a nobody) with just small family, and no cameras. I think family dynamics determine the acceptance of photography. If those closest to the deceased whip out their P&Ss, it's OK. Otherwise, not.

02-11-2012, 04:49 AM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I was asked to video a funeral a few years ago by the daughter of the deceased. I was a little surprised that someone would want a record of such a solemn event, but she was a close friend so I agreed.
I felt extremely awkward and more than a little embarrassed, but had to remind myself this wasn't about me.
We should keep in mind that on their best days there are many people don't like to be photographed, let alone on an occasion like this and there will probably be a few disapproving glances from those that don't appreciate being photographed as well as those that think it's in poor taste.

My opinion is that it is not appropriate to shoot inside the church unless requested by the family, if only for the consideration of others.
Outside the church, before and after the service, I think is more acceptable.

I'd say that the most important thing is to check with the family first.
02-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Historically speaking, post mortem photos was a popular thing to do back in the late 1800 and early 1900. Photography was still a new and expensive thing that the regular people could not spend the money to do.

Post-mortem photography - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'll be honest, when my mother passed away, I thought about taking my camera to the funeral home to get a photo of here in the casket, but I figured my brother and sister would have objected so I didn't.
02-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ugh. What a thread. Last month, a friend of mine was killed at a racetrack doing a track day. As my friend lived in another state, and she died here, it was decided that she would be cremated instead of being transported back home. My friend's mother was coming from South Africa to make the arraignments, and I was going to meet my friend's mother and fiancé at the funeral home and airport.

When I arrived at the funeral home, my friend's fiancé was there, and we went together to the airport to get my friend's mother. My photography gear was in my car, because I was going to take pictures of my friend at the track - on the day after she was killed.

As I sat with my friend's fiancé, and her mother in the funeral home, somehow remembrance came up. Because my friend was about to be cremated, there would be no time to say good bye. There would be no ceremony. Nothing to remember. I volunteered to take some pictures of my friend's mother saying goodbye with her daughter, as well as my friend's fiancé saying goodbye.

Never in all my years did I realize what I had agreed to. My camera's viewfinder has always been a place where I examine a scene and make critical aesthetic decisions on composition and such. Here I was, composing an image with people that I cared for in the most devastating period of their lives. All I could see in my viewfinder was pain and sorrow, yet I took the images. With tears and hysterics, I managed to get the images. It was the most difficult thing I have ever opened myself up to emotionally.

I will never do that again. I will never use my camera to take images of people I know, in pain. I can't do it. It might be possible to take images if I don't know the subject, but death and dying are very tough to photograph when you know the people.

If someone asks you to photograph such an emotional thing, be prepared. Be professional. Get the images as quickly and as beautifully as you can. Make sure you're not playing around and you get in, get what you need and get out. Bring tissues and bring your courage.

02-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've taken pix of gatherings AFTER a funeral or memorial service; as Spenz mentioned often at gatherings afterwards relatives are able to get together. When I worked at a Richmond, Virginia, camera store in the early '60s we did a big processing business, and on several occasions a patron shared with us pictures taken during a funeral and/or of the departed at a viewing. I never knew how to respond to these people - she looks so life-like? Long-term staff at the store said that it seemed to be a custom among older southern folk.
02-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Taking pictures at a funeral - wrong on so many levels - very bad form.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 02-12-2012 at 02:48 PM.
02-12-2012, 11:19 AM   #22
Veteran Member

May have had camera at others but the one I remember is at my father in law's,was ask to take pictures.Started about a half hour before the funeral when people were arriving and ended at the grave site.The family also had video and microphones set up before the service started.Quite sometime before he died he recorded a song to be played at his funeral,'Life's railway to heaven'
Jake

02-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In the age where friends and family are scattered to the four winds, many appreciate discrete photos to share with those unable to attend. I always, of course, ask permission. I feel that it is a way to help.
02-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I'm 59 years old, I've been to lots of funerals. I have never ever seen anyone with a camera, and would certainly never bring mine. I believe that's a pretty good indication that it is not culturally acceptable here (Northern Ontario, Canada).

I love seeing photos of the deceased's life displayed at the wake. I would not care to look at photos of a funeral or deathbed, nor would I want me or my family photographed in mourning.
02-12-2012, 01:28 PM   #25

I need to add in my funeral arrangements; Everyone gather around we're taking one last picture at the cemetery. Of course that would 'freak out' everyone attending. Once they find out it was my idea they would say,”OK he's always been on the strange side”.
02-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I was asked to take photos at my niece's funeral. I felt awkward not to mention emotional, but did it as I had been asked by her Mum and Dad. That was a couple of years ago. They haven't seen the photos yet, but asked me to do it in case they ever wanted to see them in the future. I would only do it if asked to.
02-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #27
Veteran Member

apparently you all didn't subscribe to Popphoto magazine. I remember in a recent issue there is a professional photographer who specifically shoot funeral event.
Ya, people make a living out of shooting funeral. It's an event, and is challenging how to shoot to avoid the creepy feeling.
02-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #28
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

It is like everything else...it all depends on the situation and what you are shooting at the funeral. Some common sense can guide you, unfortunately if you have to ask about shooting at a funeral you may not have enough to know whether it fits or not, so should just leave your camera at home.
I've read there is a time for every purpose under the heavens......and agree, but not everyone knows the time.
Regards!
02-12-2012, 11:53 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I've read there is a time for every purpose under the heavens......and agree, but not everyone knows the time.
Regards!
Rupert, I had a quote like that in mind in my first post in this thread. And even in 1000BC there was no end of the writing of books. Imagine that wise man in a modern university library.
02-13-2012, 05:36 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
apparently you all didn't subscribe to Popphoto magazine. I remember in a recent issue there is a professional photographer who specifically shoot funeral event.
Ya, people make a living out of shooting funeral. It's an event, and is challenging how to shoot to avoid the creepy feeling.
One might take advice about making images from Popular Photography but not social cues. You would get the "creepy feeling" because it is creepy.

Tom G