Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Would you carry a camera to take photos at a funeral?
Yes 813.79%
No 3865.52%
Maybe 1118.97%
Undecided 11.72%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Camera at a funeral

A RC one to boot, supposedly cameras/photograpghy at a RC funeral is a "no-no".

Is it really in bad taste? Probably pulling out a camera phone is but to record the moment isn't it necessay sometimes?

I'm probably not going to carry one but i just wanted to hear what you people would do?

There's the old debate, "well i carry one at weddings why not funerals?"

02-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Camera isn't permitted inside my church at a weddng, either. Really!! My son is getting married (she also goes to our church,and wife and I were also marreid there) and they do not permit a camera inside the doors of the Nave (where the pews are). The photographer must shoot from outside the doors (the Narthex) with a long lens. Same applies to funeral services.

At the Visitation my father's wishes were that no one take photos of my mother in the casket. That wasn't a problem because the Mortuary had large, permanent plaques "requesting" no photographs.

We're Episcopalian - that's mainline protestant - so I would say if your RC church or the family leans to the conservative side it would be poor form.
02-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #3
Banned

K-01 F funeral edition

Last edited by Bramela; 02-10-2012 at 01:31 AM.
02-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

A few years ago, I was asked by a cousin to take pictures at her husband's funeral. It was her wish, so I did. I did not much like it and I know it upset some people but that was not my concern. I just handed the roll of film over to her and let her do what she wanted.

02-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #5
Forum Member

Maybe at the wake afterwards but probably not during. Unfortunately, having moved quite a few times over the last 20 years, funerals are sometimes the only place you get to see some long lost family & friends and a few group shots, IMO, are OK when everyone isn't crying.
02-09-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Spenz Quote
Maybe at the wake afterwards but probably not during. Unfortunately, having moved quite a few times over the last 20 years, funerals are sometimes the only place you get to see some long lost family & friends and a few group shots, IMO, are OK when everyone isn't crying.
Frankly I think the custom varies by region in the US. I don't care for it myself
02-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I've seen it done, but have never done it myself. I will say that being incredibly discrete and respectful is an absolute necessity if you decide to do so - but I guess that goes without saying. We did not take photos at either of my parents funerals. We do have a few of the grave itself.

02-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I wouldn't do it myself. BUT, this would be one occasion where an electronic shutter would be very nice. The mechanical shutter that remains on the K-01 was a bit of a surprise to me...no stealth mode.
02-10-2012, 12:03 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
When my grandmother died (om 2003) I had my camera with me and I have asked a friend to take photos of the procession and the funeral. Since my parents and my syster could not come to the funeral they appreciated to see the photos at least.

My grandfather died in 2010 and this time I could not come to the funeral. I surelly appreciate that my syster and father took some photos.

However having camera or not for the funeral is actually up to the closest family (relatives and friends) to decide.
02-10-2012, 01:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I may have missed the point but, to me, Jogiba's post is rather in poor taste.
If I am supposed to laugh, forget it. Totally out of context.
02-10-2012, 02:31 AM   #11
Pentaxian

There is a time for everything. I have only once taken photos during a fuenral service - at the explicit request of the immediate family of the bereaved, who were good friends. I believe the photos were intended for relatives living far away. It is different to take photos at the refreshments following the funeral, but even then, only if the subjects clearly indicate agreement to the particular picture.

There are times when people should be allowed the privacy to express what is natural to them without the inhibition that soemone will record what they saw and replay it sometime in the future, out of context. I feel the same way about catchign people in the ecstacy of worship etc. and in the deeply worshipful parts of a wedding, as distinct from the happy celebration of the couple and family through the rest of the day.

The presence of a camera in use can easily distract people from the worship activity of the funeral, wedding or other church service - although there are a few occassions when I have used my camera in church. Such as last Christmas, when I got closeups of a few people from the back using the 1000mm, or when I have been specifically asked to take pictures. If I take the camera I am distracted by visions of pictures rather than concentrating on the primary business at hand - participating in the serviced.
02-10-2012, 02:56 AM   #12
Inactive Account

I was handed my Father in-laws Nikon at his brothers funeral on the day.
He had a 50-200 on it so was quite hard to get wide shots but was good in a way as no one noticed I was shooting with such a long lens.
I just concentrated on getting a record of who was there in wide shots, shots of the casket and venue and anyone who spoke. A tough situation but I was honored to be asked.
02-10-2012, 04:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Not withstanding any rules from the church etc, I would only do so if specificaly requested .
A very good Australian friend of ours passed away last year after a very short illness and her partner requested a video of the service to send to friends around the world who could not possible attend.
That I thought was a good idea and was well received.
02-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #14

I spent several years as a funeral director and witness countless rude and offensive acts at funerals. I can only remember a one funeral being recorded by video, but I've seen photographs taken before and after funerals. Can't say I agree with recording the service, but don't have any problem with people taking pictures of family and friends.
02-11-2012, 12:57 AM   #15
Veteran Member

No way. No how. Well, maybe a jazz funeral procession in New Orleans. I think I could be forgiven for that, but otherwise, no. Too tacky, too disrespectful. That's like that girl in Dear Abby last week, taking pics of her Grandma practically on her deathbed and putting them on Facebook so everybody can see how sick she is. I mean ICK.