Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2012, 11:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Warren Buffett Promises to Pay Off the National Debt–If Republicans Help

QuoteQuote:
Warren Buffett is continuing to prod the GOP into taking greater financial responsibility by promising a dollar-for-dollar match of any funds contributed by Republicans in Congress toward the national debt.

In a recent interview with Time, Buffett expressed that for every $1 donation offered by a Republican representative of Congress, he would match that donation with $1.

Warren Buffett Promises to Pay Off the National Debt–If Republicans Help - Financial News for the Best Bank Rates

Don't think there has been any takers yet - he made the offer on January 12th!

Last edited by stevewig; 02-11-2012 at 11:11 AM.
02-12-2012, 01:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevewig Quote
Warren Buffett Promises to Pay Off the National Debt–If Republicans Help - Financial News for the Best Bank Rates

Don't think there has been any takers yet - he made the offer on January 12th!
At least one Republican, Scott Rigell of VA, has been doing this since 2011.

QuoteQuote:
Dear Mr. Buffett,

I appreciate and gladly accept your generous offer to match contributions that Republican Members of Congress make to pay down the federal debt. I voluntarily contribute 15% of my Congressional salary to pay down the debt, which amounted to $23,103.33 in 2011. My contribution in 2012 will be approximately $26,100.

Please let me know what documentation you require to fulfill the offer. In the hope that your offer is retroactive, I have enclosed a copy of my federal pay stub which reflects my after-tax contribution in 2011 to the United States Treasury.

Though we differ on tax policy, as fellow Americans and businessmen I know that we share this common bond: a deep concern over the state and trajectory of our country’s finances. As we work together to find common ground, please know that I appreciate your participation — and that of every American who makes the effort to stay informed and engaged — in this critical discussion.

With kind regards, I remain
Yours in Freedom,
http://rigell.house.gov/UploadedFiles/Warren_Buffett.pdf

I wonder how much Buffett has been voluntarily sending back.
02-12-2012, 04:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wasser Quote
At least one Republican, Scott Rigell of VA, has been doing this since 2011.

http://rigell.house.gov/UploadedFiles/Warren_Buffett.pdf

I wonder how much Buffett has been voluntarily sending back.
You made me curious.............

QuoteQuote:
As it happens, Rigell had already given 15 percent of salary, or around $23,000 last year, for this very purpose.

In a letter to Buffett, Rigell wrote that he’d happily take the billionaire up the offer and also noted his estimated contribution for 2012 would be around $26,100. Buffett wrote back saying he’d match both years, and extended the invite for a sit down.
Rigell, Buffett find common ground - POLITICO.com

but to be honest..........
QuoteQuote:
Rep. Scott Rigell is a conservative freshman Republican making roughly $174,000 a year. Warren Buffett is billionaire who wants to raise taxes on the rich.
Our illustrious gov used to "brown bag" his lunch when he was a "suffering" county executive......... not anymore.........
02-12-2012, 06:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unfortunately the answer is not a handful of fat cats paying off the current debt. What we need is for our government to "live within it's means" just like our citizens are expected to do. Frankly if the debt were totally paid off today, the politicians in Washington, and around the country, would take that as a license to spend spend spend... And soon we would be right back where we are today

Mike

02-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The sort of sums which individuals could afford to pay towards paying down the national debt are just going to be totally inconsequential. They would be better off making the money available to start-up businesses who would then employ people, taking them off the bread line, and contribute towards paying down the national debt through taxation.
02-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
The sort of sums which individuals could afford to pay towards paying down the national debt are just going to be totally inconsequential. They would be better off making the money available to start-up businesses who would then employ people, taking them off the bread line, and contribute towards paying down the national debt through taxation.
Which, in theory and policy, should be the case right now. However, I don't see enough of that happening.
02-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The sort of sums which individuals could afford to pay towards paying down the national debt are just going to be totally inconsequential. They would be better off paying to the charities which are providing food and services to America's rapidly growing poor, or making the money available to start-up businesses who would then employ people, taking them off the bread line, and contribute towards the national debt through taxation.