Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2008, 05:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
a couple quick winter photo tips

I was walking through the woods this afternoon and I'd thought I'd share a few things I've learned from shooting so much in the cold weather.

First off, if you didn't think of it already, dress appropriately. Getting to the spot may take some effort, and you may at first get away with dressing lighter, but as you're standing there setting up a tripod and taking gobs of pictures, you're going to get cold.
Also keep in mind that getting down hills may be much easier (not to mention more fun) in the deep snow, but getting back up may be an entirely different story. A mistake in planning can cost you a lot more than a bad afternoon of shooting, so be safe and take the proper equipment for the place you are heading, including some extra food and water. Be sure to keep properly hydrated, as dehydration can also speed up hypothermia. No one ever plans on getting stuck, even on short trips, but it can happen. (enough of my lecture, be safe, that's all))

Camera & memory cards: I have a pretty well sealed camera bag, so before I come in from the cold I just make sure it's zipped up tight and let it sit for a few hours. But before you come in, take the memory card out of your camera and put it in a coat pocket, or an outer zipper pouch in your bag that you can open separately. That way you can get the memory cards out when you get inside without exposing the half frozen camera to the warm moist air, causing a boatload of condensation on it. You don't want to be sitting around waiting for the camera to thaw so you can download pictures onto the computer.

Tripods: If you shoot in winter conditions, there are a few things to think about. You always read in magazines about how if you are only extending the legs partway you should use the top (thicker) legs first. Well in the winter this can cause you a lot of trouble, especially if you shoot in snow or around water in the winter. I suggest not dipping anything other than the lowest section of the legs into the snow or water if at all possible, because it will freeze up on you when you don't want it to. OH, and definitely if the bottom legs get wet, do not collapse them entirely, or they may be frozen that way until the next time you can get into the warm air inside.
Also on that topic - be aware of the metal tripod mount and quick release plates. Again, after being out in the cold for a while, your breath can put just enough moisture on the QR plate and mount that your lip can stick to it. (or your face mask, as mine regularly does)
You can also ice up the release mechanism with your breath - my model has a pin that pops up when you remove the camera to keep the catch out of the way. That too can freeze up and it will take some work to get it unstuck so you can get your camera on or off again.

Hmm... that's all I can think of for now, and my son wants chocolate milk, so I must stop for a little. Feel free to share your winter tips if you have some.

01-02-2008, 07:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Good info thanks for taking the time to write it.
01-03-2008, 01:58 AM   #3
Inactive Account

So good of you to share and thank you so much..
Now how about white balance and metering for the snow to get the actual colour??..
Reason i ask is due to my Daughter recently came home with a variety of Photos shot around snow and so much Blue in the pictures...
Cheers