Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-15-2012, 03:26 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, except in this case the kid in question isn't steaming over it anymore. She's laughing at this point. That's what you guys aren't getting. Yeah she got ticked at him, what kid wouldn't, but then she quickly got over it, even joked about selling it and the phone on Ebay and adding to her college fund. If SHE can joke about it then it why can't any of you? I think this guy knows his kid pretty well actually.

02-15-2012, 03:32 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
That's what you guys aren't getting.
Are you sure?
02-15-2012, 03:34 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh please, he didn't shoot the laptop in front of her. He showed it to her LATER. Read the post the man put up. His daughter actually thinks it's funny now that she's over being mad. Mountain out of a molehill people...
We can only hope you dont have children ! She should be taken into care for her own safety.
Destroying a computer.... yes ! So would I..... With a GUN THOUGH ! Totally unbeleivable and disgusting.
I seriously hope he gets a prison sentance !
02-15-2012, 04:02 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Yeah, except in this case the kid in question isn't steaming over it anymore. She's laughing at this point. That's what you guys aren't getting. Yeah she got ticked at him, what kid wouldn't, but then she quickly got over it, even joked about selling it and the phone on Ebay and adding to her college fund. If SHE can joke about it then it why can't any of you? I think this guy knows his kid pretty well actually.
No no no.... your the one that doesnt get it. We are talking about a child here. Of course she is laughing, she is likely to grow up as mentaly unbalanced as her father. He used a firearm to make a point to a child for gods sake. She will never ever forget this event. As a child, she will
reason out in her child mind, the meaning and reasoning. What will be her conclusion I wonder.
He is simply not fit to be a father.... Period !

02-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #20
Veteran Member

What's the difference between destruction of this thing with a gun or a baseball bat or a big rock or running it over with a car? Just because the guy used a gun doesn't make him mentally unbalanced.
02-16-2012, 05:52 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How many of you "crybabies for human rights" have teenage daughters?,.
02-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fccwpe Quote
What's the difference between destruction of this thing with a gun or a baseball bat or a big rock or running it over with a car? Just because the guy used a gun doesn't make him mentally unbalanced.
Hey, Westmill's in England. He would seem to be one of the ones with a thing about firearms...

Jim

02-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Hey, Westmill's in England. He would seem to be one of the ones with a thing about firearms...

Jim
Concur. I lived in Europe for 6 years serving to protect our allies (we carried guns, by the way). There was a movement in Germany while I was there to do away completely with the German military based solely on the fact that the US was there to protect them.

There is a definite stigma about firearms over there.

"I would never invade the US, there is a gun behind every blade of grass."
-Admiral Yamamoto
02-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #24
Veteran Member

My first reaction to the story was 'that's hilarious!' but I agree with Young Turks' analysis -

QuoteQuote:
Just last night, my husband told me about a story that just took place in Philadelphia. Now, Philadelphia is a very violent city for those who don't live around here, and you hear stories of gun violence all the time. But this one really got to him. A family just moved into a not so great neighborhood of Philly from Florida. Their neighbor had a few dogs, who were being neglected (which is a whole nother topic) and who were pooping all over the new neighbor's lawn. When the new neighbor went over to confront the dog owner, an argument broke out and escalated to the point where the dog owner shot his neighbor in the face and then 8 more times when he fell to the ground. The neighbor had a wife and a 6-week old daughter that now will grow up without her father because a man didn't like to be confronted over picking up his dog poop.

Maybe it's because we ourselves have a 7 month old son that this story hit home, but I found myself asking the same question that I always do. How can someone get to the point where they lose all lack of respect for human life and can pull a gun out and shoot someone without any thought??? After hearing about this story on the Today show this morning, and then reading not only the absurd poll and the reprehensible comments left in response to it, I think I'm getting closer to my answer. If someone sees their father, their mother, or anyone else in their life that they see as a role model, so quick to pull out a gun to solve their problems, even something as simple as a teenagers laptop, is it that much of a stretch to think that that they'd grow up with that same mentality and be much more likely to pull a gun on another human being when they got angry?
However, in the father's defence, at least he cared enough about what his daughter was doing, and took action (albeit in a really stupid way).
02-19-2012, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
We can only hope you dont have children ! She should be taken into care for her own safety.
Destroying a computer.... yes ! So would I..... With a GUN THOUGH ! Totally unbeleivable and disgusting.
I seriously hope he gets a prison sentance !
You hope he gets a prison sentence for shooting a laptop, really... blinks in amazement.

No, I absolutely don't have kids. My choice. I've changed too many diapers helped raise too many of other people's kids for years to want any of my own. Besides which I'm single and I like it that way. I like being my own boss and even if I wanted to have kids of my own it's inadvisable for health reasons. But I do have nieces and nephews none of which are even remotely spoiled rotten. Unlike most of the kids they go to school with they don't get given everything they want. They have to earn their toys. They do have to listen to the rules their parents have established and yes, once in a while they do get punished. They lose toys and/or get grounded if they misbehave, and while I can't say their parents have ever shot something they have indeed destroyed an object to make a point if necessary. Guess what? The kids didn't like it but they got over it and they had more respect for their parents after, not less. Being made to earn that item back, to earn the money for and buy another one? It was a very important lesson for them.

News flash he didn't shoot the kid. He shot an OBJECT and he didn't even shoot it in front of her. He just shot it on video and then showed it to her. His kid was never in any danger. She knows that. He knows that. While she wasn't happy about it she got the joke and she actually respects what he did. Better the laptop than the kid. He's not out there beating his child. His child lost a favorite toy, one she absolutely abused the use of. She'll have to now earn back the privilege of having one and likely she'll have to save up and buy one herself besides. Major lesson learned. The kid and the parent are fine with each other. No one is terrified. No one got hurt. In fact if you actually read her statements on the subject she loves and respects her Dad for what he did. That he cares enough to set her straight means something to her. I read all the news articles about this one. I read his statements and hers. Before you judge this man arbitrarily I suggest you take a log look at them too.

Yeah he's a bit of an idiot but his heart is absolutely in the right place and he loves his kids. He's really trying to be a good Dad, a responsible Dad, and I'm giving him credit where due. He did kind of do a dumb thing, yes, but for all the right reasons...
02-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #26
Banned

The dad with out a doubt over did it. That is alot of money going down the drain.
02-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #27
Banned

If that guy ever gets fired from his job I bet he will make the news for coming back to work with the same gun and shooting his boss and co-workers.