Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Besides Dionne Warwick she was also related to Cissy Houston, another vocal great. There's almost no way she wouldn't have gotten into the business with her pipes and her family connections. She was born into the life but clearly she couldn't handle the fame and all that came with it. For the record while I will give her her due and say she had a voice her work wasn't much to my taste either. In fact I can't stand to hear anything from the OST from The Bodyguard in particular. I never did care for her type of singing and I was basically forced to listen to that one for a long time at work and at home while it was popular. To this day if I hear any song from the CD I usually will make a run for it or change the channel. All I have to do is hear Whitney Houston and and I just want to get the heck away from the sound of her voice. That's not to say she didn't have a great voice, but something about it just pained my ears for some reason...
Said much better than I and I agree with all of it.

She obviously had a 'great' voice but for mine it was always a hard and forced sound - I hated it.

Did she really have trouble handling fame or was it Bobby Brown leading her down the garden path to drugs and addiction that destroyed her. That might be unfair to Mr Brown though because I really don't have a clue as to a person's private life or demons.

02-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly:
That's not to say she didn't have a great voice, but something about it just pained my ears for some reason...
I think this may be a physical reality resulting from the fact that everyone hears differently, ear canals are as different as finger prints.
I really like Whitneys voice and find it very relaxed and unforced. My Aretha Franklin would be your Whitney Houston. She usually sends me diving for cover even though I get her vocal prowess, it hurts to listen.
02-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #18
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It would be hard to beat Etta James...or Beyonce......Whitney could sing but no better than this....not like this......

I'll miss Whitney in her prime and Etta even in her old age. RIP
02-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
R.I.P. Whitney Houston.
As a I contemporary of mine, I am shocked because of my own selfless fear of death.
She had a voice, and hopefully in the pantheon of female singers will be well represented.
But nobody will beat Etta J.

02-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Lets not forget Ella
02-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like my female singers with a slightly lower range, sweet, but with a hint of whiskey and blues. I like Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, and lately Alannah Myles, Eva Cassidy, and the mostly unknown Schascle Huygens. I will give Whitney Huston her due, but she's never going to be a fixture on my media player the way these ladies are. Still RIP. No one deserves to die alone in a bathtub before they're even 50. Her poor kid isn't taking it well at all either...
02-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #22
Banned

WHITNEY HOUSTON'S DAUGHTER Family Fears She Might Be Suicidal

QuoteQuote:
In the wake of the death of Whitney Houston, family members fear that her daughter, 18-year-old Bobbi Kristina Brown, might be suicidal and are considering getting her help ... TMZ has learned.

As TMZ first reported, Bobbi Kristina was taken to the hospital once last night and again this morning. We've been told she was "hysterical, exhausted and inconsolable."

Sources close to the family tell TMZ ... the family believes she might try and take her own life. According to one source, the family feels Bobbi Kristina needs help and they are considering rehab as an option.

Bobbi got into it with cops last night after she was barred from seeing her mother's body.
Whitney Houston's Daughter Bobbi Kristina -- Family Fears She Might Be Suicidal | TMZ.com

02-22-2012, 01:30 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Someone posted/sold her casket photo

National Enquirer posts Whitney Houston open casket photo on front page

Last edited by Clicker; 02-22-2012 at 02:32 PM.
02-22-2012, 01:46 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Demons never play fear