Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2012, 03:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Should the USA bomb Iceland?

Wikileaks: Does Bradley Manning deserve a Nobel Peace Prize? - Yahoo! News

QuoteQuote:
"Bradley Manning is a hero," not a criminal, says Brian Sonenstein at Salem-News.com. If he really did leak these documents, which helped catalyze the Arab Spring by exposing "official corruption and brutality in countries like Tunisia, Egypt, Libya and Syria," then there are truly "few individuals who have made as great a contribution to justice and peace." And because of his "unjust treatment," there are "even fewer who have had to pay for it the way he has."
Army Private Manning nominated for Nobel Peace Prize for role in | www.krmg.com

QuoteQuote:
Three members of the Icelandic Parliament for The Movement (Birgitta Jónsdóttir, Margrét Tryggvadóttir and Ţór Saari) submitted the nomination earlier this month.

The nomination cites, amongst other things:

The leaked documents pointed to a long history of corruption, war crimes, and imperialism by the United States government in international dealings.
These revelations have fueled democratic uprising around the world, including a democratic revolution in Tunisia.
Contributed to the Obama Administration agreeing to withdraw all U.S.troops from the occupation in Iraq.
The documents made public by WikiLeaks should never have been kept from public scrutiny.
What is going to happen if he wins? Will Iceland be put on the Terr'ism register?

02-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
Pentaxian

NO !!!!

Iceland is on my list of places to visit and one of my favourite authors is Icelandic.

On second thought if they wait until after I go there (may be years from now) perhaps my photos will be more valuable... no I will stay with my original stand.
02-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If we didn't bomb them over Bjork, why start now

(actually I like Bjork, in small doses)
02-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It would be interesting if Manning won a peace prize. It would put the USA on the same plane as China for keeping the Dalai Lama in jail.

02-13-2012, 06:57 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
If we didn't bomb them over Bjork, why start now

(actually I like Bjork, in small doses)
Wherever Bjork comes from, I'm sure I was her relatively-speaking uptight neighbor across the hall.
02-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #6
jac
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm sort of for it. Those pesky Icelanders are always interfering and can't grasp proper geopolitical etiquette. Except that we Canadians might end up as unfortunate collateral damage and China needs our oil sand's bitumen. Who knows what it could lead to. How about Greece instead? They're a demonstrated risk to the boys on Wall Street right now and they'll reasonably small.

Last edited by jac; 02-13-2012 at 08:08 PM.
02-13-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It would be interesting if Manning won a peace prize. It would put the USA on the same plane as China for keeping the Dalai Lama in jail.
Well, our congress is actively pushing for heavy web censorship... the way I see it, in China, they announce their intentions and if you disagree the tanks roll in. Here in the USA, they just play a subtle, pervasive game of twisting public perception until they get enough people to believe that they want to be controlled and restricted that they can go forward with the confidence that their critics will look like kooks. Pity the poor MPAA for lacking the patience to wait until the public was softened up enough to really lean on that bill. The military-industrial complex that looks to REALLY benefit from something like SOPA (and whose corruption was documented to some degree in Manning's leaks) is more patient, and no doubt the issue is far from dead.
02-13-2012, 07:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

If manning won a nobel prize! I would probably wake up, see myself in the mirror and realize i'm a hare krishna frog and that the thing that just flew by ain't a sparrow but a siberian flying pig.

kissinger won it...over the paris agreements it's true...but goddamn!!! KISSINGER WON THE PEACE PRIZE....i'll have to repeat KISSINGER.
Obama too...without doing anything notable, and he justified war during his speech...oh and sanctioned his CIA pet summary execution..idol manufacturing so he can give away tax money to the ruthless legal extorsion organizations we call banks...
Al gore...don't get me started on this one
Manning will continue to suffer that hideous vengeance while the people responsible for the "advanced interrogatory methods" and Guantanamo enjoy their filthy rich bank accounts.

Some distopian "futures" are starting to look pretty jolly compared to this "free, brave" world we live in...gotta go eat chocolate and try to keep my head away from fantasizing violent liberation sintagma square style.

02-13-2012, 11:33 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Fishing. Dragons. Screaming.

Quickest recovery from a banking crisis we've seen yet.
02-14-2012, 12:15 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Manning SHOULD win the peace prize. He pointed the world to where the terrorists are.
02-14-2012, 05:01 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Manning SHOULD win the peace prize. He pointed the world to where the terrorists are.
if he ever won it i hope he would do as Sartre did

And the problem is that it's those same terrorists the ones who decide who gets it, or better "who will not under any circumstance get oe of those"...(the scandinavian jury is just a cover up/formality)...
"terrorist", i'm so fed up and nausiatingly bored by the usage of that word...it really only applies to modern media and government:
those who create fear to push social change (and control the population).
It's the new automatic degrading word.
02-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Coeurdechene Quote
If manning won a nobel prize! I would probably wake up, see myself in the mirror and realize i'm a hare krishna frog and that the thing that just flew by ain't a sparrow but a siberian flying pig.

kissinger won it...over the paris agreements it's true...but goddamn!!! KISSINGER WON THE PEACE PRIZE....i'll have to repeat KISSINGER.
Obama too...without doing anything notable, and he justified war during his speech...oh and sanctioned his CIA pet summary execution..idol manufacturing so he can give away tax money to the ruthless legal extorsion organizations we call banks...
Al gore...don't get me started on this one
Manning will continue to suffer that hideous vengeance while the people responsible for the "advanced interrogatory methods" and Guantanamo enjoy their filthy rich bank accounts.

Some distopian "futures" are starting to look pretty jolly compared to this "free, brave" world we live in...gotta go eat chocolate and try to keep my head away from fantasizing violent liberation sintagma square style.
That's a pretty good illustration of how meaningless the "prize" has become. The Nobel Peace Prize now carries with it roughly the same prestige as the prize anybody can pull out of a Cracker Jack box.

It's tough to figure out just what sort of metric they use to pick recipients.
It was awarded to Anwar Sadat during the Yom Kippur War against Israel.
After less than a year in office it was awarded to Barack Obama "for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples".
yet:
Gandhi never received the Nobel Peace Prize, although he was nominated five times between 1937 and 1948.

Nobel Prize controversies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Parallax; 02-14-2012 at 09:42 AM.
02-14-2012, 09:26 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
. . . actually I like Bjork, in small doses
My favorite dose is still this video, I remember watching it mesmerized every time it would come on:

02-15-2012, 01:57 AM   #14

Well...

Obama won a nobel prize for his future deeds. That is at least a short description of reason for giving him the prize. Since then those deeds of Obama administration include:

- War in Libya
- Pusshing for war in Syria
- continuing to wage a war against "terorrism"
- limiting civil rights by adapting the antiterror laws
- introducing cencorship on internet by ACTA/SOPA and pushing the other countries to adapt similar laws

I guess the only thing left is to nuke Iceland or something like that
02-15-2012, 06:02 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Idol creation...they just put there a black puppet so he can continue to push the authoritarian measures...what i hate most is that since he was advertised as a gamechanger some people still don't want to realize he's just another PR for big business and military complex interests. If he was such a game changer he would be dead by now.

mmm...need to go see Bullworth yet again (i know i've mentioned that movie several times, but it's so good it hasn't lost a bit of it's merit and actuality...each time "US politics" arises this film just jumps to mind).

At least with Cheney you knew perfectly well where you standed..."this guy annoys me....mmm...duck...bang- lustfull grin- Sooooorrryyy".

(oh and for the record Gadaffi deserved to die...but US involvement just means a morgage over the changes the revolution could achieve...it's just sad).