Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2012, 06:28 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Question : where do you buy your electronic devices in the US

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm looking in particular for two specific models of headphones. They are advertised in Canada, but apparently not sold anywhere. Go figure... I'm found the headphones on Amazon, but just about nowhere else, and I'd like to compare prices (websites that compare prices for you don't seem to work, they don't even list the actual price at Amazon... I have trouble trusting these websites)

So where would you look to buy such items? I can have them shipped to the US so that's not a problem.

thanks!

02-14-2012, 06:59 AM   #2

Amazon is always a good reference point. BH, Adorama have good prices on photo equipment and they do sell lots of other stuff. Onecall is another website for electronics I like. J&R is good. Different sites are good for different things, and I'm not sure if there is any special cheap place for headphones. You can also check deal websites (such as slickdeals) to check if your product was sold anywhere at a good price and use that as your reference point. googling "best price on name_of_the_product" may return meaningful results sometimes.

I just remembered that buy.com and newegg were good websites for buying small electronics, however they both became worse over the last few years. I would exert caution buying there (especially I would avoid buying from other merchants there)
02-14-2012, 08:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

try shopbot.ca, it might help if you mentioned which models...headphones number in the thousands.
02-14-2012, 08:14 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Question : where do you buy your electronic devices in the US?
It depends. For Camera gear, I go to B&H which is mail and retail. If I am in NYC, I definitely go to B&H directly. Sometimes I go to Adorama, but it seems that B&H has better customer service and their real-time stock is wonderful. B&H's IT department is awesome.

For all *other* electronics, I go to Best Buy which is a retail place. Sometimes I use Amazon.

I used to shop at New Egg, but they seem to be focused on Computers as they used to be better at camera gear. I think I bought my *Ist-D from New Egg back in the day.

02-14-2012, 08:17 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1 for B&H - I ordered a set of hard-to-find Sennheiser replacement headphone pads from them.
Amazon
Newegg

Last edited by paulh; 02-14-2012 at 09:26 AM.
02-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #6
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Question : where do you buy your electronic devices in the US?
It depends. For Camera gear, I go to B&H which is mail and retail. If I am in NYC, I definitely go to B&H directly. Sometimes I go to Adorama, but it seems that B&H has better customer service
I'm sorry to read that you haven't always found our customer service to be so good. If you would like to email me with information relating to any less than satisfactory CS experiences, I'd welcome the opportunity to look into these with the Department Manager: Helen@adorama.com
02-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the very helpful info. The headphones I'm currently looking at are

Nokia BH-905i
Philips SHB9100

I'm looking for full size headphones. They need to have good sound (but I'm not a head-fi.org type of fanatic...), bluetooth communication, the possibility to use a wire (for use in planes). I'd like active noise cancelling too, which the Philips lacks. I've had Philips before and like how they process sound, and I've read good things about the Nokias, but they're expensive. I currently use Motorola s305 bluetooth headphones, and I'd like better sound quality (plus the use of a wire). I also have noise cancelling Philips earbuds, and I really don't like earbuds. My three requirements seem surprisingly difficult to meet.

02-14-2012, 11:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Thanks for the very helpful info. The headphones I'm currently looking at are

Nokia BH-905i
Philips SHB9100

I'm looking for full size headphones. They need to have good sound (but I'm not a head-fi.org type of fanatic...), bluetooth communication, the possibility to use a wire (for use in planes). I'd like active noise cancelling too, which the Philips lacks. I've had Philips before and like how they process sound, and I've read good things about the Nokias, but they're expensive. I currently use Motorola s305 bluetooth headphones, and I'd like better sound quality (plus the use of a wire). I also have noise cancelling Philips earbuds, and I really don't like earbuds. My three requirements seem surprisingly difficult to meet.
these may be tough in Canada. both company's have absolutely crap Canadian distribution
the other problem is they are Mobile (phone) product and most likely through phone dealers most phone stores are corporate so special orders forget it.

I would just email Nokia Canada and ask for a dealer

Nokia Canada - Product support

same thing for Phillips

Philips - Contact
02-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Amazon is #1 in my experience buying a large budget of items for a private practice.

Adorama and B&H often surprise me in having the lowest price + great CS and I definitely look at each for Camera gear.

Newegg is an EXCELLENT source of computer gear - particularly nuts and bolts with LOTS of expert commentary by other buyers + they often have a great price.

Crutchfield is an oddball in that they can have a stellar price, service is generally good, and they have always been about as honest as you get to deal with.
02-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have contacted Nokia and they don't know where they sell them, even though they advertise them on their site... Very clever... Maybe I can find them in cell phone stores indeed.

The Philips I can find at Amazon.com, but I'd still like to compare prices. The Nokias are listed as quite more expensive, and out of stock currently. I'll keep looking.
02-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Amazon we use a lot. I've used Tiger Direct, Target, Walmart online also. We're rather limited as to what we can buy locally. The nearest computer and electronics stores are quite far away. I find it easier just to order online than not most of the time.
02-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Nokia BH-905i (officially discontinued)

Nokia BH905i Bluetooth Stereo Headset Universally Compatible on eBay!

I use these guys online, they're in Mtl, email them see if they can get you one, but being discontinued it will cost more.

http://www.hi-mobile.net/

Philips SHB9100 (again officially discontinued)

other than ebay...you'll have to shop every local electronics store in your area and not necessarily the big box because they don't usually stock discontinued items.

New Philips Bluetooth Stereo Over-the-Ear Headset SHB9100 | eBay
02-15-2012, 05:49 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Surprising to read that both are discontinued, seeing as they are still advertised with much fanfare on the companies' websites... And I contacted both companies, they have no clue where I can purchase the headphones (go figure, I'd assume they know where they ship them) but they told me they were current...)

Continuing the discussion, I'm always willing to hear about other options that would fit my bill. sony has a nice set but it doesn't support a wire for travel, so that's a no-go.
02-16-2012, 06:45 AM   #14
Banned

I first check to see if the vendor doesn't charge NJ sales tax along with have free shipping and the top vendors on my buy list are :
Amazon
B&H
J&R
Tiger Direct
Mac Mall
Fry's
Buy.com
eCost

I sometimes buy from Adorama and Newegg but they have a big disadvantage of having locations in NJ and charge 7% NJ sales tax.