Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #46

Photos: Albums
My grandfather used to repair cameras for a hobby when he was alive. I've always been interested in photography because of him. I just recently picked up my first DSLR (K200D I got off of Ebay for $350 w/2 lenses). My father has been storing what is left of my grandfather's camera collection, and I recently went through it and found several quality lenses that will work with my camera. I plan on getting used to the K200D over the next couple months, and then upgrading to the K-5. Then my younger sister (who is also very into photography) will be the lucky recepient of the K200D.

These are the lenses and accessories I got from my grandfather's supply.

Last edited by Cooter; 02-26-2012 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Wanted to add a description for the picture
02-26-2012, 10:31 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've been trying to figure out how to answer this question since the first page of posts, and I finally realized I can't. I don't remember a time when I wasn't interested in photography. I de-prioritized it several times though my life, regrettably, but it was always there in the background.

I never realized just how important it was to me until I was burglarized in 1995. All I had at the time was a K1000, a cheap flash, and a couple of off-brand zooms. But the thieves took everything, including negatives and prints and a couple rolls of film I hadn't gotten developed, and it wiped me out emotionally. It hurt so much I did the most idiotic thing possible; I didn't pick up a camera for 12 years.

I finally bought a Nikon P1 in '07 to record progress on our home remodeling but I never really thought about that as "photography". In '08 we were expecting our first born. I was starting to miss having a "real camera", and I couldn't stomach using "that P&S" to photograph our baby. So I started shopping and ended up buying a K10D with the Kit + a FA50/1.4. It felt right, but I still really didn't care.

When I made this shot, I woke up.
Attached Images

02-27-2012, 07:46 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
When I made this shot, I woke up.
WOW is the only real word that works here!

That's an incredible shot! I think my girlfriend would wallop me if I got my K-x out while she was in labour (although I reckon I'd risk it...)
02-27-2012, 08:07 AM   #49

Photos: Albums
I think I've always liked taking pictures, but just never got round to buying a 'proper' camera.. (like other than your general sub £100 P&S or a camera phone ! )

I tend to get gadget craving every now and again, where I get it into my head that I want/'need' a new something that I usually can't afford. This usually happens with audio based stuff, but this time it was a camera

Although I get these cravings, I like to think I'm a careful buyer, and so spent weeks digging up information on cameras in my budget. The K-R seemed like 'the one' to me, and I've already enjoyed the benefits of old lens compatibility as I now have more than enough to play with, without spending much at all!

Bought my K-R just after christmas and loving it so far!

02-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shot, Venturi.

I've actually been picking up cameras as long as I can remember, 'since I was knee-high to my uncle's Mamiya,' as I sometimes say.
(it's funny: I have a non-functioning copy of the same prism finder now, still reminds me of what the room and camera smelled like, Think it had to have been after '76, anyway. Just kind of grew up around it, old timers in the police darkroom, relatives in journalism, sparky type cousins, etc, )

I think the real story is that in junior school I had a series of boltholes and escape routes to escape thugs and certain school administrators of an unsympathetic nature, due to times being a bit *interesting* when it came to some things now making the news, and there was this day when one of my little hidey holes actually had someone in it, and certain amber light. And the person in there, well, she got over her initial consternation quickly enough to cover for me, (Apparently, when approached standing up, that 'closet' was clearly-labeled 'Darkroom,' you see. The layout of the place was such that I'd recurringly end up out of sight there with the time, but nowhere to go but through the conveniently-unscrewable ventilation grille in the bottom of the door. (I later learned to arrange for it to be unlocked in advance) They wonder why in later life they called me the 'Rat Lady' )

So, out of appreciation, I started making myself useful, and off I was again.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 02-27-2012 at 02:51 PM.