Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Some warranties like the pentax 2 year for $20 are a no brainer. Some you might want to just get the free extension from AMEX. I think you do need to weigh the costs. However, I think for electronics this costy, a 5 year warranty should be standard. If something costs $1000 it should not die after a year.
It's been a long time since they offered long warranties on these items. part of the issue is warranty cost is built into the price and in the race to the bottom price wise the longer warranty was one of the first victims. Fo a long time all tv's in canada came with a 3 year warranty, Sony would then run a 5 year warranty promo a couple of times a year, Toshiba offered a standard 50 month for a long time, even a low end made in china brand (citizen) offered a 5 year warranty.
in the US sets dropped to a 1 year warranty long before they did up here. Part of the reason we now have a 1 year as well is staying price competitive with the US now that the dollars have sat at or near par for so long

I wasn't aware of the current samsung issue (though i am of many different DLP issues from the past) It doesn't surprise me though
they make some very price aggressive good looking tvs but if i was to go out and buy a panel today it would be from Panasonic, Sony or Sharp. Panasonic for Plasma which is tough to beat IMO (and the main panel source for any high end plasma still being made BTW) or from Sharp for LED Sony is really my third choice (all their panels are samsung sourced BTW but the back end is still all sony designed and built) - I still like the XBR lineup but think the Panasonic Plasma and Sharp LED are better value.

Samsung phones are crap too BTW - mine has been replaced twice now in a year. As of aug 24th i qualify for full upgrade on my plan so on the 25th i'll have a new phone (not samsung - probably the ubiquitous iPhone - partially because i have had excellent service from apple in the past including a replacement screen for free (mine was cracked in a drop) under extended warranty If there were more apps useful to me on blackberry I'd actually go back to RIM which was the best built phone i ever had a bloody durable tank

02-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Gah, I write software for phones and I'd never use a blackberry by choice. 5.0 devices are unusable. I haven't had to write anything for 6, so maybe they made enough improvements. My HTC Incredible(android) phone seems like cheap plastic, but it has lasted through many hard falls. I would gladly choose one again.

Even if they don't offer warranties anymore. Why should the consumer have to be responsible for their shit designs? A catastrophic failure here and there, ok, but a TV with known issues that everyone seems to have eventually. It's not fair. Growing up we had a Zenith TV and it lasted for 20 years without a repair(still worked just started getting a little dark). It was old tech, obviously well out of warranty, but companies make throw away junk these days and it's buyer beware.

Fortunately I have a Philips LCD, from the bedroom, to replace my Samsung. We really only need one TV. The Philips hasn't had a single issue, and I didn't find any issues online either. It's a great TV. I'd heard they were getting out of the consumer electronics industry and focusing on medical, but they still seem to sell new models. I wonder if they licensed the name, or sold the division and are allowing them to use the name.

Last edited by kenafein; 02-16-2012 at 11:00 AM.
02-16-2012, 10:50 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
It's been a long time since they offered long warranties on these items. part of the issue is warranty cost is built into the price and in the race to the bottom price wise the longer warranty was one of the first victims. Fo a long time all tv's in canada came with a 3 year warranty, Sony would then run a 5 year warranty promo a couple of times a year, Toshiba offered a standard 50 month for a long time, even a low end made in china brand (citizen) offered a 5 year warranty.
in the US sets dropped to a 1 year warranty long before they did up here. Part of the reason we now have a 1 year as well is staying price competitive with the US now that the dollars have sat at or near par for so long

I wasn't aware of the current samsung issue (though i am of many different DLP issues from the past) It doesn't surprise me though
they make some very price aggressive good looking tvs but if i was to go out and buy a panel today it would be from Panasonic, Sony or Sharp. Panasonic for Plasma which is tough to beat IMO (and the main panel source for any high end plasma still being made BTW) or from Sharp for LED Sony is really my third choice (all their panels are samsung sourced BTW but the back end is still all sony designed and built) - I still like the XBR lineup but think the Panasonic Plasma and Sharp LED are better value.

Samsung phones are crap too BTW - mine has been replaced twice now in a year. As of aug 24th i qualify for full upgrade on my plan so on the 25th i'll have a new phone (not samsung - probably the ubiquitous iPhone - partially because i have had excellent service from apple in the past including a replacement screen for free (mine was cracked in a drop) under extended warranty If there were more apps useful to me on blackberry I'd actually go back to RIM which was the best built phone i ever had a bloody durable tank
O/T but since we ended up here.. What do you think about the current Mitsu DLP's.....Our first "large" TV was a Toshiba 57" (or 59??)(CRT) projection TV which is STILL perfectly functional after a decade of hard use (I will admit to it probably having some "color" decay but still could be tweaked to a modest level of perfection I believe) and bought as a "refurb" no less BTW) but at the time Mitsubishi (which seems much weaker as a brand now) was always in the running...
02-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
O/T but since we ended up here.. What do you think about the current Mitsu DLP's.....Our first "large" TV was a Toshiba 57" (or 59??)(CRT) projection TV which is STILL perfectly functional after a decade of hard use (I will admit to it probably having some "color" decay but still could be tweaked to a modest level of perfection I believe) and bought as a "refurb" no less BTW) but at the time Mitsubishi (which seems much weaker as a brand now) was always in the running...
Mitsu stopped selling in Canada 20 + years back so i can't speak to their quality now. DLP is no longer available here for that matter (at least not in set form, projectors are another story and Mitsu has come back up here with those) JVC has a DLA front projection system that is actually pretty sweet (the set based ones were as well back in the day) it was their proprietary tech but similar to DLP in concept with a broader range of colour if i remember correctly
I got out of CE about 6 years ago right now actually. I still pay some attention but not at the detail level I used to (cameras aside and even then I only pay moderate attention related to my needs)

Realistically flat panels have killed all tv except front projection and with the advent of 80-103 " panels even there they have taken a big share. the Sharp Quatron 80" LED probably cost less than the 57" Toshiba did when it was new (at least if you bought when 57" was the big one)
a 65" Panasonic VT series is $3500 at the most ecxpensive retailer here so likely available for 3000 or less. Having seen it I can say it will put the best of DLP and CRT projection to shame - and has the same colour palette as CRT since it's a similar phosphor based tech
Sharp 80" Quatron (adds a 4th colour to the LED) 240 hz is 5000 so still up there but less than the Sony XBR top model and the 70" is 2900 same set.

Sorry I can't be wildly more helpful but like i said i pay less attention now 6 years out than i did then. For me image wise I think a top flight plasma is still tough to beat if it isn't a bright room (reflections of the glass) and then i work my way down 240hz led, 240hz lcd, 120hz led/lcd etc (LCD and LED both suffer some motion artifacts as did some early dlp. the higher hz models deal with that.

EDIT - If it is a front projector a friend of mine really likes the SIM2 sets and Stewart screens - the stuff he has set up at his shop always looks bloody good but his shop is very high end so not cheap

http://www.sim2usa.com/home/us

Last edited by eddie1960; 02-16-2012 at 11:45 AM.
02-16-2012, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Our world according to Victor Lebow...

"Our enormously productive economy demands that we make consumption our way of life, that we convert the buying and use of goods into rituals, that we seek our spiritual satisfactions, our ego satisfactions, in consumption...

We need things consumed, burned up, worn out, replaced, and discarded at an ever increasing pace. We need to have people eat, drink, dress, ride, live, with ever more complicated and, therefore, constantly more expensive consumption."

Victor Lebow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Watch this short 20 min movie.

http://www.archive.org/details/victory_garden

Showcases how people used to live in the 1940s. Amazing...they were all skinny too! They did not eat poisonous fast food that is driven by the greed, they ate what mom cooked from the garden / farm or what she cooked up from local foods in her kitchen.
02-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote

EDIT - If it is a front projector a friend of mine really likes the SIM2 sets and Stewart screens - the stuff he has set up at his shop always looks bloody good but his shop is very high end so not cheap

SIM2 Multimedia | Home Theater and Professional Display Systems
No it's a 72" rear projection. Dell was selling them for under $1000US during x-mas..

As to the Toshiba.. though my wife argues w/ me I believe it was $1300 and "white glove" freight delivery.........in current inflation dollars that's still only $1800 more or less.

we are really bottom feeders..........

someday I may tell the story of moving a 250lb rear projection TV up a winding staircase.....
02-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
someday I may tell the story of moving a 250lb rear projection TV up a winding staircase.....
I didn't realise anyone still made the rear projection sets I haven't seen one in a store here in at least 4-5 years

I've moved a Sony 40" CRT XBR up 2 flights of stairs 304 lbs almost all of it at the front of the set. we had 4 guys and heavy duty canvas slings to achieve it without issue (and 2 two-fours of beer this is Canada after all - 12 each being the minimum any of us get out of bed for )
Even in the store it would take 3 people to put it on the stand

One thing I will give the flat panels (particularly the LED LCD ones) they are a hell of a lot easier to get up stairs and in a room. I watched last world cup soccer at a buddies where he just put in a 65" Panasonic. because of the room it was about 8-9 feet to the TV. it was overwhelming at first, by the end i was saying to my wife we need to get one of these next set (currently i have a 34" HD XBR CRT which has such a good picture i have a hard time justifying a new set even though i would like something larger that didn't weigh 300 lbs. It took a long time for panels to get better than this set for performance and it's taken even longer for them to reach a price i'm willing to pay (after years of getting stupidly good deals like floor models from dealer shows etc I hate paying close to retail but have no in for the deal anymore either since I'm not selling their goods)