Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2012, 06:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Student sues over illegal strip search

Georgia Student Sues School Over Strip Search In Front Of Classmates | Fox News

This is freaking ridiculous. Another case where a student is accused by another student of having illegal substances and a vice principle and the school cop decide the proper course of action is to strip search him in front of other students, one of which recanted the allegations during the search.

This vice principle has since resigned and the school cop was fired, but they need to be jailed for violating this boy and his parent's civil rights.

I've said it before in another thread but it bears saying again here... Any time a student is reasonably suspected of something illegal, they should be given a Miranda warning by a real police officer and if they are a minor, their parents should be called immediately. These school Nazi's always forget that a minor child is not competent to waive their rights and should never be questioned, much less strip searched, without a parent's permission.

I hope these to Nazi's are jailed and have their strip search televised...

Mike

02-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As for the law suit, this is one of those areas that you aren't sure what to hope for. If it were a private entity, or an individual, I would hop[e that the award is large enough to put a genuine hurt on somebody, but if it is against the PD, school, etc., they are us, financially. Any money the suit costs them they just make up for in taxes next year.
Criminal charges are absolutely warranted. Several possible charges come to mind.
02-16-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Jim,

If the strip search was not school district policy, I would say that they should not be financially liable... beyond being liable for any costs associated with training their staff to make sure this never happens again.

But if this were my kid, I'd sure as heck own everything that the vice principle and the school cop owned or ever hoped to own.

Mike
02-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
would say that they should not be financially liable.
Remember though; if it goes to trial it will be tried in a court of law, not a court of justice.

02-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Therein lies the mistake in suing the school system. If it's not a policy, then they will likely not be held "liable." Hopefully the parents have also sued the VP and the cop individually as well.

I'm not generally a "lawsuit friendly guy" but in some cases it's the proper course...
02-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

then they will likely not be held "liable."
Thats not something I would bet any money on.
I'm not generally a "lawsuit friendly guy" but in some cases it's the proper course...
My feelings exactly. This one is unquestionably appropriate.
02-16-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I grew up in an area where for a long time it was perfectly okay to paddle kids in school if they misbehaved. In order to exempt your child from this kind of corporal punishment both parents had to sign a form disallowing it. I was a pretty good kid at school for the most part but I did get in big trouble once and the principle had me called to his office and told me to bare my butt down to my underwear. (There was a female staff person present but to this day I still think the guy got his jollies doing it. He was the one who instituted that custom of using a paddle and who refused to exempt girls from undressing part way. The previous principal didn't use one.) I told him no way, that my parents had signed that form and that if he so much as touched me they would go after his job. Well, as it turned out they couldn't find the form in my file so after arguing with me about it for a while he finally called my mother to formally request permission.

We lived pretty close. My mother came to school in like 10 minutes flat breathing smoke and fire. I had the keen pleasure of watching her rip that guy to shreds right in front of me. By the time she was done he was practically on the floor apologizing and I was on my way out the door for the rest of the day books in hand. I didn't get off at home. I still got grounded, and for the record my parents did sometimes spank or smack me, something I really didn't like so they were not against corporal punishment entirely, but the very idea of someone guy smacking their daughter almost butt naked with a freakin wood paddle? It was enough to make them both ballistic. It was rather hypocritical of them actually because as a kid I was often threatened with one, though they never actually used it, just a hand, but still them doing a spanking and the principal doing it, not the same thing at all in their eyes.

Legally if a school authority tried that now the parents of the kids involved would have that teacher removed. I suspect this will eventually happen with situations like this too. People like to discipline their own kids. Your kid being disciplined at home, searched by you, that's one thing. Being strip searched at school not kosher, at least not sans parents and a real cop.
02-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
at least not sans parents and a real cop.
This was a "real cop". He was a Sheriff's Deputy. The only significance there, if there is any at all, is that he should have known better, even if the VP didn't. I would actually give some small degree of quarter if it had been private security officer following the directions of his superior (the VP).

02-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #9
Pentaxian

It reminds me of a similar case where I live a while ago..

Apparently $20 went missing in a gym class. There had recently been a court ruling that schools had the legal right to conduct cavity searches. Well long story short, a vice-principal and a gym teacher did just that. It was all over the news, and eventually both individuals lost their current positions although not their employment altogether...

SO, I came in to my classroom one day and my Grade 9 students were discussing this case... later in the class, someone came to my desk and said, "Sir, someone took $5 off my desk." So I walked over to the first aid box, pulled the rubber gloves out of the "blood kit" and said. OK , I'm gonna have to search you guys, listen I'm sorry , I only have this one pair of gloves, I'm gonna have to use them on everyone." You should a seen their little faces... I had to say "I'm joking" real quick to stop mass panic.

The first thing I thought when I read this story was.. why would you even want to do that? If I'd ever been in a position to need a search, and I'm sure this is true for most teachers, I would have passed this job off to people who were trained in this kind of thing. The fact that you might have the right to doesn't mean you should. And as far as most teachers go, if there isn't something in the GAP (General Applications and Procedures" you're not going to do it, even if some court says you have the right to. There's a right way to do everything, and if you're going to do something like that, you better know what the right way is. I'm sure it's not strip searching someone in front of a class. I hope they sue, big time.
02-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Well, the 'source' *is* Fox News, but it's a poor thing to be in middle school being tuned up public or privately and wondering if it's worth it to escalate.

I dunno about 'drug war' stuff these days but I didn't particularly appreciate private tune-ups either. "Are you upset at this treatment? You must be the source of the problem. Traumatized? On drugs! Therefore, exorcize! (in the name of claiming you must be on drugs if you don't react well to beatings, therefore you need more trauma to get you off nonexistent drugs that we say comes from you being impious enough to not be straight and have the gall to be hurt when you're beaten for things you didn't do...) "

Let people look. If that's so righteous. Put it right up front. Broadcast it. Let's see it.

Gods know I went through junior high getting beaten up in *private* for being the 'source' of people beating me up. 'Boys will be boys' ....even if they're vice principals, eh?

Let's. See it.

Let's *all* see it.

Pump up the volume with the Iphones, kids. Share with the class, ....share with *all* the classes... Authoritarians.

If you're so righteous...

Let's *see.*

Or. Start treating people like people.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 02-16-2012 at 03:16 PM.
02-17-2012, 05:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Thats not something I would bet any money on.
My feelings exactly. This one is unquestionably appropriate.
They will collect against the state. Technically they name the officials in the suit; however, school officials are insured and indemnified by the state. The officials are not liable if they guess wrong on the law, but lose any immunity if they are violating clearly established law. This same lawyer had already won a major case against a Ga. school system for similar conduct. There was no excuse.