Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2008, 03:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
New monitor

Hi folks
I have been in the mood to buy a new monitor. Currently I have on my desk top a 21 dell...I love it, but am thinking about a larger newer one. Does anyone have any recommendations. I am thininking of getting a 23 or a 30 inch apple or am not oppsed to trying others.
I am also thinking the 30 inch my take up to much space. I don't know.

01-03-2008, 03:23 PM   #2
Inactive Account

get an apple one
01-08-2008, 12:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
when choosing an lcd, the 2 things you wanna look at that will be listed is the viewing angles and pixel pitch.

if the panel can't do 176/176 (or 178), skip it. it'd be a tn panel and suck. if the pixel pitch is bigger than .27 move on.

s-ips or s-pva are the ideal panel types. tn is 6bit, horrible viewing angles .. and cheap.
01-08-2008, 03:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Sell me your dell when you make your decision

01-08-2008, 07:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been looking at monitors too. Done a lot of web searching on types of screens, specific brands and have practically driven myself to distraction.
Screen types: there are 3, TN, S-PVA and S-IPS. A TN screen is a decent general all around screen, it's biggest draw is it's response time. Basically this means that action looks good, and games are great on them. However graphics aren't. Everything I've read says stay away from units that have TN panels. S-IPS are considered the best graphics screens, with good off center viewing, which would be important in a 24 or 30 inch screen, the down side is that their response time isn't that great so movies and games don't look so hot. But graphically they are considered by almost everyone to be the best. S-PVA is somewhat between the two. Better color and offcenter viewing than a TN screen, better response time than an S-IPS screen. All of the above is not to say that EVERY S-IPS screen is better graphically than every S-PVA screen. The higher end Apples have come under a lot of criticism lately check out both Tom's Hardware and Andand tech sites.
If you've got deep pockets go with Ezio. Everyone says they are the ones to beat. Unfortunately their screens run upwards of 3000, a bit steep for my wallet. LaCie is almost as good, and just about as pricey. I've read good thing about the Gateway 27 inch, the Dell 27 inch 'true color' (or what ever they call it...make sure you get that one rather than the other Dell) and the Samsung 245T.
Here is a good link for a start: note that it was written before the newest round of monitors came out, and before the problems started showing up on the Apples.
Buying a LCD monitor for photo editing | Void Pointer

NaCl(you can really twist yourself into the ground with this stuff)H2O
01-08-2008, 07:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
NaCl(you can really twist yourself into the ground with this stuff)H2O
Yes!..Thanks for the responses everyone...I still have not decided but am leaning towrods the dell high def / true life as that is what I have in both my XPS lap tops and on my XPS desk top...They just came out with a 30'' but am not sure I want to spend 2 k on a monitor...

I was considering a mac as well, because my wife has a powerbook and the display on that is pretty amazing....
01-09-2008, 05:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

look into a samsung 275t or the 305t then. i have a 215tw calibrated, it's phenomenal. i'm waiting for the 305t to come down in price.

one other fyi; a dynamic contrast boost is what a lot of companies put on the boxes to get your attention. nothing is over 1000:1 irl, and even that is too high for you to look at. if you stick to good panels, check reviews for even light distrobution, etc.

once you calibrate an s-ips/s-pva a tn panel is a real joke.

01-09-2008, 10:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Haha, apple monitors are notoriously poor. I read tech blogs, and there is much controversy with them. The official apple forum immediately deletes posts complaining about display-related issues.
01-09-2008, 10:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

However good or bad the mac monitors are, I would not buy any apple related products now.

MacWorld San Fran is in a week, and many expect new LCDs out at that point. The current crop are dated in comparison.

That said, I like samsung monitors, and I saw Acer demo-ing a new one with some sort of diamond coating-dude shot an arrow at the monitor from a nice distance away and not a scratch on the thing. gorgeous screen too, can only imagine how much they'd want

other thought would be, if you want more surface, but like what you have-get a second identical monitor and do a dual screen set up, assuming your PC can drive two displays. yes, you'll have the edges of the monitors, but for less money you will have a 42 inch work space, and you can/should be able to orient one in landscape mode and the other in portrait if you so desire.
01-09-2008, 11:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Actually, Samsung is who makes Dells monitors from what I understand...I have also been looking at the samsungs well
01-09-2008, 11:37 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Haha, that was a great vid!

I love my old school Samsung 730B 17" (even though I bought it way before I started editing pics) and wouldn't stray from Samsung. They really have some amazing products coming down the pipe that were introduced at CES.