Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2012, 12:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why Santorum Won't Become President...

1. The guy is an outright bigot when it comes to GLTB people and they will all vote against him just to make a point. Particularly since Dan Savage will be whipping them all up into a frenzy if he should win the nomination. That's a significant block of people, like it or not.

2. He living in the 50's when it comes to women and feminism. He thinks the feminist movement has made too many women seek their own satisfaction in the workplace instead of putting making families first. Well, duh. But women LIKE having careers and he's going to have a hard time getting the female vote given some of his rather dumb comments in that direction. Women, most of them anyhow, don't think that they should be seen as wanting to be breeders and not much else. They want BOTH actually job and family and they don't like being told that working at a job and liking it is a betrayal of their family or their femininity. I'm nowhere near a militant feminist but I think Santorum is living in the dark ages on that one...

3. He's totally anti abortion. Would if he had his way prosecute any doctor doing one. Not the women but the doctors, yes. Most people in this country, except for the really major conservatives, do support the right to choose, the right to have it as a safe medical procedure. Even a lot of people who don't like it still want it kept legal so it's safe. Look at the big fuss over Planned Parenthood losing funding for breast exams for a bit there because of some conservative official trying to interject her sense of morality into the situation. There was an uproar and the foundation that was providing the funding backed off and re-qualified PP because of it. His hard line stance on this one will cost him a great deal at the voting booth.

4. He's a very devout Catholic and while Catholics do get elected to office, even to the Presidency, his being so conservative about it won't help him much. Except with other major conservatives. His habit of going by the Bible, applying Biblical principals to politics will not be good for him. He's seen as an evangelical of sorts and that's something that a lot of Americans don't trust in politicians.

There's more, but you get the idea. Why this guy thinks he's got a chance at winning the Oval Office is beyond me. The deck is very much stacked against him. Public opinion of the guy except in very conservative circles isn't very supportive and he's got a lot of people very ticked at him for some of the bigoted things he's said about gays and women besides. He's a total loser candidate any which way you look at it. I can't even believe he's gotten support in the places he has. That he's still even in the running just makes me want to go ICK. If he actually does get the nomination I pity the Republicans because by the time the people that hate this guy are done? They'll all be breathless just watching the shiz and insults fly. There's a contingent out there that is just hoping that he will get the nod just so they can have the fun of tearing the man completely to shreds and I believe they will do it too.

Me personally I don't wish the man any harm but I don't like the guy at all and if it came down to it even though I don't like Obama much either I'd probably vote Obama just to keep the jerk out of office. I don't usually vote the lesser of two evils thing, but any political office just isn't the place for this guy, IMHO. The thought of him in the White House makes me shudder...

Last edited by magkelly; 02-18-2012 at 12:23 PM.
02-18-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Shush, Magkelly! The best thing that could happen is Santorum winning the race to become the GOP Pres. candidate - let them think he can win!
02-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think this might have more to do with why he is unelectable.

Daily Kos: The Religious Bigotry of Rick Santorum

QuoteQuote:
And so what we saw this domino effect, once the colleges fell and those who were being education in our institutions, the next was the church. Now you’d say, ‘wait, the Catholic Church’? No. We all know that this country was founded on a Judeo-Christian ethic but the Judeo-Christian ethic was a Protestant Judeo-Christian ethic, sure the Catholics had some influence, but this was a Protestant country and the Protestant ethic, mainstream, mainline Protestantism, and of course we look at the shape of mainline Protestantism in this country and it is in shambles, it is gone from the world of Christianity as I see it. So they attacked mainline Protestantism, they attacked the Church, and what better way to go after smart people who also believe they’re pious to use both vanity and pride to also go after the Church.
02-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
Banned

Rick Santorum questions Obama's Christian values

QuoteQuote:
Santorum, a former Pennsylvania senator known for his social conservative views, said Obama's agenda is based on "some phony theology. Not a theology based on the Bible. A different theology." He later suggested that the president practices a different kind of Christianity.
"In the Christian church there are a lot of different stripes of Christianity," he said. "If the president says he's a Christian, he's a Christian."
The Obama campaign said the comments represent "the latest low in a Republican primary campaign that has been fueled by distortions, ugliness, and searing pessimism and negativity."
Rick Santorum questions Obama's Christian values - Yahoo! News

In the November 7, 2006 election in his home state of PA , Santorum lost by over 700,000 votes, receiving 41% of the vote to Casey's 59%, the largest margin of defeat for an incumbent senator since 1980 and the largest losing margin for an incumbent Republican senator ever !

Last edited by jogiba; 02-18-2012 at 05:34 PM.
02-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It says something when the people that know him best don't want him.
02-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
Shush, Magkelly! The best thing that could happen is Santorum winning the race to become the GOP Pres. candidate - let them think he can win!

The GOP field has been *all the same.* Even Gingrich is calling himself Catholic to try and claim that the white sheet is 'religious freedom.'

They're all the *same.* None of them *have* been any different all along, that's why there's been these successive swings. They're all in lockstep and falling all over each other to out-misogyny-and-homophobia-and Dominionist each other, (to justify more greed and privation) Romney (and Ron Paul) included.

I don't say this lightly, at all.. given how much *I've* been knocked around, but I'd rather *I* was President than any of the current GOP field. I have not said this before. Even with McCain who was clearly knocked harder.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 02-18-2012 at 07:47 PM.
02-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Checking...jono Quote
It says something when the people that know him best don't want him.
No one knows him better than LGBT Americans. His name took on another meaning cause he is a professional homophobe who couldn't even talk to *lesbians* without bringing his notion of gay guys having sex into it. Try him. He probably still can't.

His name has meant 'The produce of unsafe male buttsects' all this time Like so many. Cause he's been screaming how 'gross' he imagines gay men having sex is... Obsessively. At lesbians. And our daughters.

Romney may have lied about it at the time, too, despite his protestations of now being just the kind of right-winger the Mormons say, 'Don't call him a right winger just cause he says he is now, ...I mean, is a professedly-obedient Mormon...' But he did the same as governor of Massachusetts. Dragged up an overtly racist (Specifically, overtly, and in so many explicit words) anti-'miscegenation' ) law from the nineteen-teens that never came off the books to deny full marriage rights. After. In fact. Promising the opposite.

To us.

I was there.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 02-18-2012 at 07:44 PM.
02-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

BTW, Mags, the GOP isn't running to 'win,' anyway. They're running to 'run' .. They want to keep doing what they've been doing and continue to 'Blame Obama.'

They have no candidate. Never have.

Winning the Presidency is not their aim.

Look what they've done in the meantime. Even to 'Blue States.'

Fight hard, Mags, but see the whole board. Look at the Upper Midwest: in their own words this is a 'war.' They're playing for control and spoils. They're playing to *break* opposition. Make a mess of things. claim still more in the disruption they make, and walk away with the goodies. (As Scott Walker has shown, by buying up the remains) And they'll get this, as little as it will profit them. What we need as Americans is to get through it.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 02-18-2012 at 08:01 PM.
02-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Santorum, et al

Ratmajiclady, I am aware of that definition of Santorum. I personally think it is too kind. Methinks he protesteth too much!
I read a handful of ex-Mormon blogs which have opened my eyes to that particular misogynistic cult. They do a good job making fun of their former beliefs and have cleansed their minds in the process. Very entertaining stuff! Keep fighting the good fight, btw.
02-18-2012, 09:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Checking...jono Quote
Ratmajiclady, I am aware of that definition of Santorum. I personally think it is too kind. Methinks he protesteth too much!
I read a handful of ex-Mormon blogs which have opened my eyes to that particular misogynistic cult. They do a good job making fun of their former beliefs and have cleansed their minds in the process. Very entertaining stuff! Keep fighting the good fight, btw.

Well, as for the Mormons, it ain't good. But I'd be in no position to say *how* bad if I weren't raised Catholic.... And I'd be a bigger fool than I ever painted myself to be if the Evangelicals weren't obviously trying to get their way while keeping a step back.

Right?

I've overestimated some before, but I always though that was part of *being* Catholic: 'The Vatican's clearly off its face, *again,* but let's not become Protestants about it, eh?['

I mean. Seriously. Gingrich calls himself a Catholic now? *I'm* more Catholic than he. And that's saying something. Santorum? Catholic? I'm a card-carrying Pagan and I'd sooner take a novitiate than let *that* bastich (Or the bishops) make any more of *that* about it.

I've obviously got no love for the Church at this point, but Santorum's just an anally-obsessed *weenie.* Who cares if the bishops like him. The man's been run out of his own district over and over again cause he's had nothing to say but how straight he is cause he's fggrossed out about all the gay sex he thinks the government must prevent. Gods. If the GOP wanted to make our govbernment a 'joke,' they *win.*

Now. As for the land of the free and home of the brave.

I still have my good ash staff.

It's literally true, too, you know: You see this? This.... is my BROOMstick.

Hoka hey.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 02-18-2012 at 09:47 PM.
02-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Actually, he might have a better chance than you think. I've heard that instead of one running mate, he plans on having four: a black, a hispanic, a woman (probably oriental) and a billy goat (to draw the southern vote).