Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2012, 06:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
F1 2012

I've fallen off the radar and the season will start next month and I am curious what others have to say about the upcoming 2012 season.

Vettel's dominance kind of got me disinterested in 2011 and missed many races. Hope MacLaren and Ferrari can bring something to the table this year.

Just checked out the changes, Wow! Kimi is back with Lotus, what the heck is going on there? One of my favorite drivers but in a Lotus, is he even good for a deveoloping team, the man never talks lol! great natural talent though, if he puts his mind to it he can be a magician.

Hate to see Adrian Sutil not even in the roster, wth? But, Nico Hulkenburg with Force India is the one to watch. I think this combo should be a real threat for Mercedes and Renault for 4th and 5th.

Wonder whether there are significant changes to the rules this year?

Hope it's not going to be a red bull total dominance again.

02-25-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hamilton seems to have surrendered to milking the fame, doing SPEED Channel specials running NASCAR laps, making appearances and generally becoming more of a USA celebrity. Or am I missing the point that F! wants to build a presence in the USA? Will Texas receive a rescue or will F1 end up in New Jersey?

I watch it when I am awake on Sunday mornings (or late Saturday envenings) but I'm not an avid fan.
02-25-2012, 08:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Hamilton seems to have surrendered to milking the fame, doing SPEED Channel specials running NASCAR laps, making appearances and generally becoming more of a USA celebrity. Or am I missing the point that F! wants to build a presence in the USA? Will Texas receive a rescue or will F1 end up in New Jersey?

I watch it when I am awake on Sunday mornings (or late Saturday envenings) but I'm not an avid fan.
Yeah! I am not sure what the future of USA grand Prix is, there was some encouraging chatter lasy year, wonder wheether anything is finalysed. How did Hamilton do lol!? Is Montoya still in NASCAR?
02-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote

Vettel's dominance kind of got me disinterested in 2011 and missed many races.
Felt the same after Senna's accident and Schumacher essentially ran away with the Benetton during the 90's.

Just checked out the changes, Wow! Kimi is back with Lotus, what the heck is going on there? One of my favorite drivers but in a Lotus, is he even good for a deveoloping team, the man never talks lol! great natural talent though, if he puts his mind to it he can be a magician.
Vettel pulled off a win for Toro Rosso/Minardi at one point. Maybe Kimi can do the same for Lotus?

Hamilton? - He reminds me of Montoya (career). They were the "new elites" when they entered the ring but sizzled out few seasons after.

If any of you F1 fans have Netflix there's a "fairly new - 2010" documentary about Ayrton Senna .....titled "Senna".

02-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
If any of you F1 fans have Netflix there's a "fairly new - 2010" documentary about Ayrton Senna .....titled "Senna".
Thanks for that tip!
02-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah! I am not sure what the future of USA grand Prix is, there was some encouraging chatter lasy year, wonder wheether anything is finalysed. How did Hamilton do lol!? Is Montoya still in NASCAR?
He swapped cars with Tony Stewart at Watkins Glen last June - totally made up "event" for SPEED.
"
WATKINS GLEN, N.Y. -- Calling it "the experience of a lifetime" more than once, Tony Stewart could not stop beaming after executing a "car swap" with Formula One driving champion Lewis Hamilton at Watkins Glen International on Tuesday.
And Hamilton, if possible, seemed even more thrilled about the rare opportunity to jump into what he repeatedly referred to as "a NASCAR" on a chilly, wet afternoon in front of an estimated crowd of 10,000."

I pay more attention to GrandAm and the rare NASCAR road course events. Recently attended an SCCA AutoCross event and I might try it.

Speaking of pcars, there was a 68 Camaro SS396 (and a 63 Impala SS convertible) in my parents' garage back in the day. Way Back in the day. My mother drove the (hell out of) that Camaro. She was quite a character. The Impala transmission died a week before I was sixteen.

I was given my Aunt's 67 VW Squareback - disappointing at the time, but quickly cool enough in a quirky sort of way.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-25-2012 at 10:46 PM.
02-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wonder whether there are significant changes to the rules this year?
There have been new rules regarding the max height of the front of the the car, which has led to a very significant change to the look of most of the 2012 cars; McLaren's the only one that doesn't have that distinctive look, which some might like and some might hate...

I'm personally looking forward to going to the Melbourne Grand Prix in 3 weeks time, will be the first time I'll be actually at a race.

02-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The closest I can get in 2012 is f/1.2. Other than that I have no idea what you people are talking about.

02-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #9
Primoz

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
There have been new rules regarding the max height of the front of the the car, which has led to a very significant change to the look of most of the 2012 cars; McLaren's the only one that doesn't have that distinctive look, which some might like and some might hate...

I'm personally looking forward to going to the Melbourne Grand Prix in 3 weeks time, will be the first time I'll be actually at a race.
There's always a lot of talk about the new cars being ugly, while we get used to them in a race or two, at most. Take a look at some 2008 and older cars, they will be WEIRD! (narrow front wings, wider rear wings, gutters in the tires, etc.).
02-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Primoz Quote
There's always a lot of talk about the new cars being ugly, while we get used to them in a race or two, at most. Take a look at some 2008 and older cars, they will be WEIRD! (narrow front wings, wider rear wings, gutters in the tires, etc.).
Yeah, I know. Before this years cars started to get announced, I took a look back at some of the cars from just the last 10 years, and even then, there have been quite a number of changes.
02-25-2012, 10:45 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah,, the new flat noses look different, as do the side pods for the new air inlet rules. Actually the controversial McLaren design looks pretty sexy. Apparently there's still a question whether it is legal, though. (Story and pix)
02-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote

Oh! yeah they have a sort of a sabre tooth look to the fronts, hmmm! hopefully it grows on me. Take some pictures and share.
03-17-2012, 05:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Interesting quali., some suprises. Will be a great season. Can't wait for the race tomorrow.

P.S: It looks like I got a brief glimpse of a helmet camera (both in practice and qulai telecast), it is very shaky, but I hope they show more of that...absolutely wicked.
03-17-2012, 06:35 AM   #14
Banned

QuoteQuote:
How did Hamilton do lol!? Is Montoya still in NASCAR?

03-21-2012, 03:05 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Here's a shot or two from the Grand Prix this weekend. Seems like it could be an interesting season with McLaren and Red Bull battling it out, with Mercedes also up there.

20120318 - 023 Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix

20120318 - 025 Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix

20120318 - 026 Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix

20120318 - 036 Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix

20120318 - 062 Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix