Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
I think part of what we are seeing is the result of America's approach to education over the last several decades. No one should leave grade school without learning to love to read, no one should leave high school without a solid understanding of what it means to do comprehensive research, and a college grad should be wholly at ease with the study process. What do we have instead? Schools who teach kids to past tests rather than actually learning, and at home kids being raised on the TV, sports activities, and video games. By the time they reach adulthood they don't understand enough about the world to know TV isn't a proper way to become knowledgable.
True. I would add to it that part of education should be to instill a curiosity and interest in being informed.

02-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I did the unthinkable. I cancelled cable which where I live means no TV. I have a DSL line that costs half of what my cable connection cost. I watch Netflix and Hulu and get my news online. Since I work nights, sports is something I always listened to on the radio anyhow so that is not missed.
We still have the Dish, but I totally agree about Hulu and online sources. That is about the only way I watch most broadcasts.

Last edited by GeneV; 02-27-2012 at 11:19 AM.
02-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
I think part of what we are seeing is the result of America's approach to education over the last several decades. No one should leave grade school without learning to love to read, no one should leave high school without a solid understanding of what it means to do comprehensive research, and a college grad should be wholly at ease with the study process. What do we have instead? Schools who teach kids to past tests rather than actually learning, and at home kids being raised on the TV, sports activities, and video games. By the time they reach adulthood they don't understand enough about the world to know TV isn't a proper way to become knowledgable.
After my high school graduation I spent the next 9 years in universities and now I am sick of reading lol!...give me TV any day,!
Closed Thread