Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2012, 07:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do Socially liberal and Fiscally conservative watch FOX ?

Let’s take the three major 24 hr news channels CNN, Fox and NBC (my thoughts apply to radio as well)

Fox is definitely a conservative media, NBC definitely a liberal media and CNN is slightly left leaning media.

Now, I consider myself a social liberal but fiscally conservative (I'll explain this later), and at times I try to watch Fox to get informed on fiscal conservatism but I just can't sit through it and if you read the last part you will see I even believe in many conservative social ideas. The racism and hatred just gets me feeling so uneasy I have to switch channels. Being a South Asian, I cannot tolerate hate and racism, Fox at many occasions allows the use of derogatory terms to refer minorities and I just can't watch it. When I watch NBC, many times I see how they totally misrepresent reality but they never make me pucker and change channels. I can sit through lies but not hate.

So, I wonder, whether anyone who is socially liberal can sit through Fox news media? or are they losing all in this category and are we all forced just to watch left leaning media?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll elaborate on being socially liberal and fiscally conservative.

I believe in people being able to handle their money better than government and believe in tax cuts. I believe entitlement programs like medicaid needs major overhaul which is currently being abused by many. Believe even in some medicare reform and even social security reform. I favor medicaid but just cut fraud.

I get outraged when unemployment benefits are perpetually expanded like what they are doing now. I believe in smaller government but I don't necessarily believe private sector is always better than the government (defense, education, transportation, immigration, FDA. central bank to name a few). I am not afraid of the government. Just limit it, I think private sector is equally capable of corruption as much as the government but the private sector is always more efficient. I am stunned at the total mistrust of the government by my republican friends.

I also believe health care should be a right but just too costly and will result in lesser care and will jeopardize USA as we know it and thus willing to make tough decision and say government cannot be the provider of this. I want to of course curtail the deficit but I know it’s not as scary (aka we are not Greece) like the conservative scare media portrays.

I believe USA was found in Judeo-Christian beliefs and is a secular nation. I strongly believe in religious freedom but with recognition of Christianity being thee founding religion here. I think there is an unfair war on Christianity in going too far to suppress all form of religious expression (for god sake we can’t even wish each other merry Christmas???... I am a hindu, if that matters). But, I do strongly believe religion should stay away from science, and I don’t think creationism is an alternative theory to natural selection, lol!. I don’t think religious beliefs should be part of government policies, but taking down all signs of religious signs from government buildings is going too far. No religious government policies (I believe in stem cell research for one) but trying to wipe any signs of christianity from all governemnet buildings is outrageous.…..I can go on forever.

I am sure anyone in my situation will continue to watch CNN and NBC and our kids and nephews will continue to do so and will never be exposed to the alternative, valid views just because of the extreme hateful stance the conservative media embrace to please their hardcore viewers.

Last edited by pcarfan; 02-25-2012 at 08:02 AM.
02-25-2012, 08:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Let’s take the three major 24 hr news channels CNN, Fox and NBC (my thoughts apply to radio as well)

your half way off flat earth.......... keep your eyes open.
Read this.. cover to cover......
http://moslereconomics.com/wp-content/powerpoints/7DIF.pdf
and this.. modify thinking about the Fed. appropriately........

UNDERSTANDING THE MODERN MONETARY SYSTEM | PRAGMATIC CAPITALISM
QuoteQuote:
Modern Monetary Realism is based on the following principles of an autonomous currency issuer:

The Federal government is the issuer of net new financial assets to the monetary system. Households, businesses and state governments are users of the currency. While banks can create credit they cannot create net new financial assets (all bank loans result in the creation of an asset and a liability).

The modern floating exchange rate system helps to maintain equilibrium and flexibility in the global economy.

The currency unit created by the state via deficit spending can only be extinguished by payment of taxes. Therefore, a modern monetary system can best be thought of as a system of debits and credits where government deficit spending credits the private sector and payment of taxes debits the private sector.
Ignore all mainsteam media regarding economics....... Make religion a private, and protected matter, regardless of denomination...........
02-25-2012, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Do you have any independant thougths of yours or just links of what others think?

You didn't answer my main question...are you a social liberal and fiscally conservative and do you watch FOX?
02-25-2012, 08:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Do you have any independant thougths of yours or just links of what others think?
What is your point. I understand and believe the logic and facts..what more do I need? stone tablets??
Ok my "manifesto" if you will.
the Fed can pay any bill it so chooses to take on. Fed spending is what the economy is based on.
Medicare for all will not "sink" anything.
Making the states pay Medicaid is a lose lose situation. Fed can do it all on their own
There is no Soc. Sec "crisis". FED can pay ANY bill at ANY time it chooses.
Downgrading of the US led to a DECREASE in interest rate. CONTRARY to "common knowledge" in finance.
World wants to buy all the T-bills it can get it's hands on. not enough to go around. NOT common financial wisdom.

All payroll taxes for the Fed should be aboulsihed. They don't need it since 1972.
Dick Cheney said "Reagan proved deficits don't matter" and was the one time in his tenure that he was correct in his thinking.
Good to see that he currently supports gay marriage.
Fed surpluses will create a recession
fed debt keeps the money flowing in the economy. currently the only reason it is not better is the money was "misplaced" in the vaults of the financial sector

The founding fathers were wise in separating the church from the state.. as it should be.
"cold fusion" will replace oil in 5 years time.
This country is squandering it's lead and greatness based on disinformation from the power brokers in the economy and DC.NONE of the "mainsteam" media understands or cares
this is not the first time in human history that "common knowledge" is in grievous error.
Bush and Cheney ARE war criminals.
The Constitution has already been flushed down the toilet w/ the war powers acts (still in effect) and the patriot act.. few seem to care.
Tyranny of the majority and minority has to always be checked.
My state governor is a first class tea-tottin, hard core conservative idiot......
We are our own worst enemy.............

It's just soo much easier to c/p someone who states exactly what I want to type......

Now is that better??

Here I thought you wanted a discourse but follow your "manifesto" w/ derision.. Not cool......

If you need my supporting research into any of the above, I'd be glad to furnish it.......

Last edited by jeffkrol; 02-25-2012 at 08:22 AM.
02-25-2012, 08:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
What is your point. I understand and believe the logic and facts..what more do I need? stone tablets??
Ok! thank you for your particpation.
02-25-2012, 08:21 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No. Socially liberal and fiscally conservative people are called Democrats. They mainly watch MSNBC or Current TV.
02-25-2012, 08:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok my "manifesto" if you will.
the Fed can pay any bill it so chooses to take on. Fed spending is what the economy is based on.
Medicare for all will not "sink" anything.
Making the states pay Medicaid is a lose lose situation. Fed can do it all on their own
There is no Soc. Sec "crisis". FED can pay ANY bill at ANY time it chooses.
Downgrading of the US led to a DECREASE in interest rate. CONTRARY to "common knowledge" in finance.
World wants to buy all the T-bills it can get it's hands on. not enough to go around. NOT common financial wisdom.

All payroll taxes for the Fed should be aboulsihed. They don't need it since 1972.
Dick Cheney said "Reagan proved deficits don't matter" and was the one time in his tenure that he was correct in his thinking.
Good to see that he currently supports gay marriage.
Fed surpluses will create a recession
fed debt keeps the money flowing in the economy. currently the only reason it is not better is the money was "misplaced" in the vaults of the financial sector

How? by printing more money? I seriously don't know how this is true, it seems so out there....

The founding fathers were wise in separating the church from the state.. as it should be.

Yeah! but I think there is nuances to this

and I'm the flatlander?????r, lol!

This country is squandering it's lead and greatness based on disinformation from the power brokers in the economy and DC.NONE of the "mainsteam" media understands or cares
this is not the first time in human history that "common knowledge" is in grievous error.
Bush and Cheney ARE war criminals.
The Constitution has already been flushed down the toilet w/ the war powers acts (still in effect) and the patriot act.. few seem to care.
Tyranny of the majority and minority has to always be checked.
My state governor is a first class tea-tottin, hard core conservative idiot......
We are our own worst enemy.............

It's just soo much easier to c/p someone who states exactly what I want to type......

Now is that better??

Here I thought you wanted a discourse but follow your "manifesto" w/ derision.. Not cool......

If you need my supporting research into any of the above, I'd be glad to furnish it......

ok! ok! I am fine don't need any "supporting' documents, everyone has one of those.
02-25-2012, 08:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
No. Socially liberal and fiscally conservative people are called Democrats. They mainly watch MSNBC or Current TV.
I didn't know of the Current TV until two days ago....you make a valid point. So, what do you call a socially liberal and fiscally liberal?

Also, as you can see I don't know whether my social views are entirely liberal. Is the extreme right media view social aspects as being written in stone (is social views just religious views and this for many is immutable and thus finding nuances in social beliefs is like trying to make someone half pregnant). So, anyone who is not 100% into conservative social beliefs are not welcome ? or is there an audience for someone like me who has mixed social views and conservative fiscal views in the right media?

P.S: I frankly find CNN to b e the most palatable for a person in my position, wonder what others do....my only purpose for this thread...the second part was just an explanation of my views but I am not really interested in arguing those points...just wanted to mention my views, not debate it.

Last edited by pcarfan; 02-25-2012 at 08:57 AM.
02-25-2012, 09:07 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I didn't know of the Current TV until two days ago....you make a valid point. So, what do you call a socially liberal and fiscally liberal? .
Such a thing does not exist in the media. In politics they are a mortally endangered species. By next January the only one left in congress will be Bernie Sanders.
02-25-2012, 09:10 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Simpsons
02-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
How? by printing more money? I seriously don't know how this is true, it seems so out there....
At one time so was the thought that EARTH revolved around the SUN.
as I said...read more on things that are inherently foreign to your way of thinking......
Synopsis:
QuoteQuote:
OVERVIEW
Seven Deadly Innocent Frauds of Economic Policy
1. The government must raise funds through taxation or
borrowing in order to spend. In other words, government
spending is limited by its ability to tax or borrow.
2. With government deficits, we are leaving our debt burden
to our children.
3. Government budget deficits take away savings.
4. Social Security is broken.
5. The trade deficit is an unsustainable imbalance that takes
away jobs and output.
6. We need savings to provide the funds for investment.
7. It’s a bad thing that higher deficits today mean higher
taxes tomorrow.
QuoteQuote:

and I'm the flatlander?????r, lol!
Only thing one accomplishes when they stay in the box, is to stay in the box........
I have my own personal thread here on this it seems...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/political-religious-discussion/161412-lenr-update.html
BUT if you want mainstream, tune into the CERN symposium.
QuoteQuote:
Francesco Celani and Yogendra Srivastava will be leading a kind of informal meeting called a colloquium at Europe’s fundamental physics facility, CERN. The topic, “Overview of Theoretical and Experimental Progress in Low Energy Nuclear Reactions (LENR)” will be discussed March 22, 2012 in the CERN Council Chamber. Of note is the event will be viewable – live – on the CERN Webcast Service. Hopefully someone will save it to YouTube.
At that time i'll revisit my "prediction".........
02-25-2012, 10:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Such a thing does not exist in the media. In politics they are a mortally endangered species. By next January the only one left in congress will be Bernie Sanders.
What's your prediction for the conservatives, both social and fiscal, would they be dominating media and politics? if not, who will?
02-25-2012, 10:28 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
At one time so was the thought that EARTH revolved around the SUN.
as I said...read more on things that are inherently foreign to your way of thinking......
Synopsis:

Only thing one accomplishes when they stay in the box, is to stay in the box........
I have my own personal thread here on this it seems...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/political-religious-discussion/161412-lenr-update.html
BUT if you want mainstream, tune into the CERN symposium.

At that time i'll revisit my "prediction".........
In your guesstimate what percentage of earthy inhabitants hold your view? if you prefer, you could restrict yourself to USA only but no extra terrestrials to be included in this figure.
02-25-2012, 10:42 AM   #14
Veteran Member

In your guesstimate what percentage of earthy inhabitants hold your view? if you prefer, you could restrict yourself to USA only but no extra terrestrials to be included in this figure.
You do realize that has nothing to do w/ the discussion, like how many believe there are alligators in the NY sewers.............
Alligators in the Sewers - An Urban Legend

I keep my herd mentality to the bare minimum..........

for fun........
Top 20 Logical Fallacies - The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe
or:
The Appeal to Common Practice is a fallacy with the following structure:

X is a common action. (don't believe in cold fusion research)
Therefore X is correct/moral/justified/reasonable, etc.
The basic idea behind the fallacy is that the fact that most people do X is used as "evidence" to support the action or practice. It is a fallacy because the mere fact that most people do something does not make it correct, moral, justified, or reasonable...........
Fallacy: Appeal to Common Practice

BACK to LENR...........
New Energy Times -

QuoteQuote:
8. Do you know the current status of this technology?
I think it is ready to become a technology, but there is still a lot of science to learn. I don’t know too many people who really understand the mechanism. I also do not believe that anybody has mastered the required material control and nanotechnology fabrication skills. But I am very optimistic that it will happen and that we will see a LENR revolution in our lifetime.
BTW: Krivit is an antagonist to Rossi.........

last bit on this:
QuoteQuote:
4. Why do doubts still exist in the broader scientific community?
It might be appropriate to think of this question in terms that apply to parenting. First
there was a difficult birth in conditions that while not initially hostile rapidly became so.
Second there has been a great deal of poor communication on both sides: an inability to
broadcast real scientific progress uncoupled from emotion or ambition; an almost complete
lack of willingness on the part of those outside the CMNS community to delve into the work
and understand what has been done, and what has changed, in 21 years. Finally, although not
critical and somewhat circumvented by imagination, there has been an insufficiency of
funding for such a materially complex (and I would argue potentially important) problem. The
child, abused at birth and abandoned by most, that Minoru Toyoda helped rescue, now
misunderstood and fiscally restrained, has just turned 21. I will not discuss the problem of
fiscal constraint, in part because if we solve the issues of hostile rejection and poor
communication that will not remain a problem.
Scientists say the darnedest thing.............
http://newenergytimes.com/v2/conferences/2009/ICCF15/ICCF-15-Proceedings-Part1.pdf

sorry:
QuoteQuote:
Dr. Baldev Raj,
Director, Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research
President, Kalpakkam Chapter of the Indian Nuclear Society
Vice President, Materials Research Society of India

“The Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research (IGCAR) and the Kalpakkam branches of the Indian Nuclear Society (INS) and the Materials Research Society of India (MRSI) are happy to be associated with the organization of ICCF 16 in the Chennai region. The curious puzzle in Condensed Matter Nuclear Science is how loading of hydrogen or deuterium in a metallic Pd lattice with chemical energy inputs of the order of a few eV can trigger nuclear reactions generating energy of the order of several MeV. Clearly materials issues appear to hold the key to arriving at a satisfactory understanding of Low Energy Nuclear Reaction (LENR) phenomena
http://www.iscmns.org/iccf16/

Last edited by jeffkrol; 02-25-2012 at 11:36 AM.
02-25-2012, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #15
Banned

John Paulson gave Mitt Romney $1 million so that another Republican white guy could screw the bottom 95% while the top 5% live high on the hog with the money they stole at the Wall Street Casino .
Closed Thread