Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the America of the 1%

Daily Kos: Banker Leaves 1% Tip on $133 Bill to Show His Disdain for the 99%

Last edited by boriscleto; 02-26-2012 at 11:38 AM. Reason: spelling
02-26-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Wondering if this is fake. If it is true, it is just sad. that is less than you should tip on a $10 meal.
02-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
According to the Huffington Post, which spoke with the restaurant owner at the establishment where this incident took place, the receipt is viewed as authentic and is being investigated:

QuoteQuote:

In a conversation with the Huffington Post, Mike Wilcox, the vice president of operations for True Food Kitchen, gave some insight into how the company was treating the incident since the receipt began receiving attention online. Wilcox said that the restaurant was "absolutely" treating the receipt as real, but to confirm its authenticity for certain, they were in the process of tracking down both the physical receipt at the restaurant and the computer-generated copy in their credit card system.
"The first thing we're going to do is to make sure the server is taken care of," Wilcox said, "and make sure the server wasn't treated badly or insufficiently tipped." He explained that they would be asking Breanna, the server named on the receipt, if she recalled the table and how her service was. "If her service was up to the level" they assume their employees would deliver, Wilcox said, "they would do everything they can to make it up to her somehow." Referring to online comments posted about the receipt, Wilcox remarked, "people are asking us to ban the person from the restaurant -- if more information came through on who the person is I first would love to talk to him."
02-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Just sad.

02-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

What a pr*ck.

QuoteOriginally posted by kswier Quote
Wondering if this is fake. If it is true, it is just sad. that is less than you should tip on a $10 meal.
Really? I still go on 10% unless the service is exceptional! (Tipping is a particular area of embarrassment and bewilderment for most Brits lol....)
02-26-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
What a pr*ck.

Really? I still go on 10% unless the service is exceptional! (Tipping is a particular area of embarrassment and bewilderment for most Brits lol....)
In the US you are supposed to tip at least 15%-18%. It should be noted that this occurred in California where the minimum wage is $8.00 for all employees and there is no tip credit.

Tips, Tip Pooling, and Tip Credits: What Service Employees Need to Know | Nolo.com

If this were in NY, and you were dropping $133 on lunch, the tip would have been added automatically.
02-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

The jerk doesn't even know the rules for rounding off. If you are rounding off, then at .5 or higher, you round up.

02-26-2012, 06:24 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The jerk doesn't even know the rules for rounding off. If you are rounding off, then at .5 or higher, you round up.
He's a banker.
02-27-2012, 02:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

If this is true and what he has written on the receipt about "getting a real job", perhaps he needs to eat at a buffet where he can serve himself.

Jason

Last edited by MRRiley; 02-27-2012 at 03:01 AM. Reason: deleted vulgarity
02-27-2012, 02:50 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Jerks come at all income levels. I'm not sure how much this incident would say about the 1% past this particular person (if it indeed happened the way it has been reported). The blog http://futureexbanker.wordpress.com/ from which this story came has been deleted.
02-27-2012, 03:24 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
If this were in NY, and you were dropping $133 on lunch, the tip would have been added automatically.
That's how it should be. They always find a way of making it awkward though.

To be honest, in this day and age, service should be included.
02-27-2012, 06:47 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Larry_David_Protests_Tipping_on_Top_of_a_Mandatory_Gratuity__Ea.flv - YouTube

Outside of the U.S., where a server may be paid as little as $2 per hour before tip, it is a much smaller portion of the server's income.
02-27-2012, 08:46 AM   #13
Inactive Account

I wonder if the waiter or waitress might have done something to deserve this. I have left a $1 tip before only once and it was on an almost $300 bill, I was taking my wife and her family out to celebrate her birthday and the waitress was obnoxious, rude, and insulting because she didn't approve of interracial relationships. We were the only table in the restaurant and we asked her to turn the blaring music down and she refused and we had to call her over constantly to get more drinks. About halfway through the meal we asked to see the manager and she said that she wasn't there so we called the owner's cell phone (she had catered our wedding) and she came right out of the kitchen and talked with us. After we talked with the owner we asked her why she was being such a bitch and she said it was because she thought my wife was a disgrace for marrying someone outside of her race. To this day I still feel like I over-tipped her.

Automatically adding the tip in to the bill or to the price of food will usually hurt a good waiter or waitress since they can reliably get 18-20% instead of the 15% that would probably be added to the bill. Most places only do that for parties of a certain size where they end up needing to assign more than 1 waiter to a table or where a waiter will need to take that table on exclusively for most of the evening. I usually tip at least 15% for decent service or even bad service if the waiter is being slammed with a bunch of tables and 18-20% for good to exceptional service. There are also considerations of if you end up ordering bottles of wine which are already hugely marked up or doing BYOB I think it is acceptable to tip less on restaurant bought wines and I typically add 50-100% of the corkage fee to the tip if I BYOB to take care of my waiter. Oh, and if you have some kind of a discount or if the restaurant or waiter hooks you up with some lagniappe you should always tip as though you paid full price.

Last edited by mikemike; 02-27-2012 at 08:54 AM.
02-27-2012, 08:57 AM   #14
Banned

the size of the tip is one thing, but what really irks me is the comment of 'get a real job.' really? because I highly doubt mr. banker, would otherwise have cooked his own food for lunch. I mean, lets think about this, if it weren't for the restaurant, with the waiters and waitresses, the cooks, etc. how would he have enjoyed his lunch, or eaten at all for that matter? a real job? I would consider the waitress to have a more 'real' job than mr. banker. it really makes me sick that so many people in this country hold this type of view. we live in a society that depends on each other. unless mr. banker raises his own crops, kills and skins his own meat, etc. he needs people like this more than anyone needs him. having a 'real' job is in my opinion, holding a job that does a service for society on some level. making a lot of money, isn't a direct service to anyone, its purely about making money for personal gain. its like when people are rude and foul to people who work at a fast food restaurant, and treat them like they are worthless in society, yet never realizing just how much they depend on these very people, because you know, they are there buying food that they obviously otherwise couldn't provide themselves. take away that non-real job, and see how fast mr. banker survives in society with his 'real' job. :ugh:
02-27-2012, 09:14 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First of all, wait staff IS a real job. You work hard and if you move up in the business (higher-end restaurants) you can make three figure salaries. Not the norm, but neither is the CEO of a bank. If you like doing the work, go for it.

And service should not be included in the price. TIPS is an acronym, really, standing for To Insure Prompt Service. I have had service from some of the "service included crowd" and it was no great shakes. A waiter/waitress working for tips is far more attentive and quick to get the order out. If you are a waiter/tress and not getting tips, you are just customer service. Like being in sales and not getting a commission for what you sell, same idea!

And folks, treat your waiters/waitresses nicely. Remember, they are serving you your food!

Regards,
Closed Thread