Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had forgotten what the view is like.....

..through the lens of a Full Frame camera. I decided to clean up the SF-1 that came with my recent purchase of an F35-70. It's a hulk of an SLR but it cleaned up pretty nicely. It takes an oddball battery, which I went and ordered

Anyway, after cleaning it inside and out, I put my M28 on it just to see how well I did with the mirror, etc. WOW! I had forgotten, its been 20+ years since my film SLR days, just what the view from a 28mm actually looks like when you see ...well....28mm I put some of my old glass on it and it sure balances nicely in the hand.

Next thing you know I'll be buying some film

Last edited by Docrwm; 05-06-2013 at 08:12 PM.
02-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Have fun, you sure did a nice clean up!
02-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hah Hah!! I got an SF1n attached to the 35~70 I bought last month, too. I actually ran a roil through for grins. Since I have a number of film cameras I'm not as shocked by the VF, but it is a lot of fun. Get some film and shoot a roll or two!!

I didn't even look at SLR's after 1985 so I was shocked by the bulk and the REALLY loud film advance motor. Looking for the AA grip.
02-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys. Truth to tell it was in pretty good shape when it arrived, just some grime from use and storage. Inside looks excellent and the seals all look to be intact and still flexible. Color or B&W...hmmm.....

Went and downloaded the manuals for it.

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/pentax/pentax_sf1/pentax_sf1.htm

02-26-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Color or B&W...hmmm.....
Why not both. hmmm
02-26-2012, 07:19 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've got an SF10 in a bag right now that I bought to get a Tamron 28-105. It seems in good shape, except for a damaged eyecup (of all things). I may have to get a battery and run some film through it when Spring hits. Also have a ZX-30 that I got with a Promaster 28-105. Yep same lens, I bid on two auctions at the same time and surprisingly won both. Both lenses are excellent, I'm very pleased with them, although the Tamron was a better deal because it came with a hood, a Domke protective wrap, a bag, and a manual for the SF10. Got a Mamiya Sekor 500DTL with a couple lenses on the way, I may have to buy some more film.
02-26-2012, 08:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I've got an SF10 in a bag right now that I bought to get a Tamron 28-105. It seems in good shape, except for a damaged eyecup (of all things). I may have to get a battery and run some film through it when Spring hits. Also have a ZX-30 that I got with a Promaster 28-105. Yep same lens, I bid on two auctions at the same time and surprisingly won both. Both lenses are excellent, I'm very pleased with them, although the Tamron was a better deal because it came with a hood, a Domke protective wrap, a bag, and a manual for the SF10. Got a Mamiya Sekor 500DTL with a couple lenses on the way, I may have to buy some more film.
ROFLMAO - you and I must have been looking at the same auctions. I got a ZX-30 recently with manual, a Tamrac bag, and a Tamron 28-105 with hood Not sure I'm going to keep it because of the DA18-135 but the Tamron does have an aperture ring......

02-26-2012, 09:31 PM   #8
Pentaxian

A couple of years ago I gave away my SF1n to a family member as have the MZ5n but my wife still has hers. We bought them new in the late 80s to replace the Spotmatic F s we had. Great camera in that the exposures were accurate and the cameras never failed us. But the size difference between the Sf1n and the MZ5n is dramatic.

This morning I was comparing lenses in the film camera with the digital and decided I really needed to try out my wife's 10-20 in the MZ5n. I also have a 28M lens which I use on both film and digital. To me it seems simple to convert in my head what the difference in field of view bwt the two formats but I think that comes partly from shooting multiple formats and also using both film and digital with my Pentax lenses.

Enjoy your new camera, guess it is free after all. Have fun.
02-27-2012, 10:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
A couple of years ago I gave away my SF1n to a family member as have the MZ5n but my wife still has hers. We bought them new in the late 80s to replace the Spotmatic F s we had. Great camera in that the exposures were accurate and the cameras never failed us. But the size difference between the Sf1n and the MZ5n is dramatic.

This morning I was comparing lenses in the film camera with the digital and decided I really needed to try out my wife's 10-20 in the MZ5n. I also have a 28M lens which I use on both film and digital. To me it seems simple to convert in my head what the difference in field of view bwt the two formats but I think that comes partly from shooting multiple formats and also using both film and digital with my Pentax lenses.

Enjoy your new camera, guess it is free after all. Have fun.
Thanks. Yes, the difference is one that I understood intellectually but not having a FF camera to actually use for 20+ years the actual difference in reality hit me much harder than I anticipated when I put that 28mm lens on the SF1.