Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
RIP Davy Jones...

Davy Jones of the Monkees died this morning of a heart attack and with him went a small happy piece of my childhood. RIP Davy, you will be missed.

02-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
*salutes*
02-29-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

02-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Massive heart attack at age 66. Oh bother... Well, at least the other David Jones is still around, the guy who had to rename himself 'Bowie' because of this Monkee. Adios, Davy.

02-29-2012, 12:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Bummer. I grew up watching the Monkees.....

Crap I hope Marsha Brady doesn't take this too badly!
02-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Monkees were a huge part of my childhood, too. The 45's (records), the TV show, the bubblegum trading cards, I built a model of the custom '66 Pontiac in the show - the whole thing. Just a fun time. Sorry to hear that one of them is gone...
02-29-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Those had to be Vox AC30s they were playing through.

Jason

02-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Massive heart attack at age 66. Oh bother... Well, at least the other David Jones is still around, the guy who had to rename himself 'Bowie' because of this Monkee. Adios, Davy.
Don't even GO there. (knocks on wood...)The day we lose that guy I'll go into a year's worth of mourning black just like they used to in Victorian times. His death will hit me like Lennon's did. I f-in LOVE Bowie. There aren't that many true Renaissance men around these days but he totally qualifies, IMHO. When he had his heart attack scare a few years ago I swear the world just stopped for a sec. As an artist I totally revere him. On a personal level the guy just plain rocks. Met him years ago. He did not disappoint in any way whatsoever. He and his wife are really awesome people.

I'll miss Davy though, I really will. He seemed like such a nice guy. I like all the Monkees actually with the possible exception of Mike. It's probably just a wrong impression but he has always struck me as being the type of guy who walks around like he has a stick painfully and permanently stuck up somewhere. I just don't care for him much. On the Monkees he was too funny but otherwise, eh. Davy, I spent a good year crushing on him before I decided I adored Mickey, then finally Peter. But I was all of 5 at the time watching Monkee reruns so I guess I can be excused for being fickle, grin...
02-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Wow RIP Davy Jones
02-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I was only listening to their Best of the Monkees album the other day. I'm a believer is actually one of my favourite songs, not Davy singing but still Monkees.

RIP little guy, RIP.
02-29-2012, 09:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
When it comes to Monkees songs generally I prefer the Mickey on lead stuff but I don't think anyone could hear "Daydream Believer" and not get that the Monkees really had something special. They may have started out as a mock TV band but they really earned their place in R&R history I think. Haven't seen too much commentary yet from the others but then again I haven't checked the news since this afternoon. I would expect they are pretty bummed about now.
03-01-2012, 12:37 AM   #12
Veteran Member

A couple random notes on the Monkees:

* Most of their songs were written by Don Kirchner's Brill Building hacks -- Neal Diamond, Goffin & King, Weill & Mann, etc -- but DAYDREAM BELIEVER was written by John Stewart just before he left the Kingston Trio. He might have offered the song to his brother Mike's band, the We Five, school chums of mine, but they were breaking up then. Some here might recall their cover of Ian & Sylvia's YOU WERE ON MY MIND (which outsold every Beatles song in 1965). I wonder how they'd have done DAYDREAM BELIEVER... ??

* Mike Nesmith's mother invented White-Out. He spent his early teens pouring white goop into little bottles in their tract-home garage workshop whilst Mom was trying to sell the stuff. Yes, there's a little Monkee in every office in the land.

* The Monkees recorded MARY, MARY and actually sold quite a few copies, but the Paul Butterfield Blues Band version (on the EAST-WEST album) was much much better. Of course, having Mike Bloomfield and Elvin Bishop trading guitar leads helped. Pop-rock vs blues-rock.

I'd better stop now.
03-01-2012, 03:20 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
A couple random notes on the Monkees:

* Most of their songs were written by Don Kirchner's Brill Building hacks -- Neal Diamond, Goffin & King, Weill & Mann, etc -- but DAYDREAM BELIEVER was written by John Stewart just before he left the Kingston Trio. He might have offered the song to his brother Mike's band, the We Five, school chums of mine, but they were breaking up then. Some here might recall their cover of Ian & Sylvia's YOU WERE ON MY MIND (which outsold every Beatles song in 1965). I wonder how they'd have done DAYDREAM BELIEVER... ??

I always thought Neil Diamond was baneful, but he could in fact write the songs if he stepped out of his own character.

QuoteQuote:
* Mike Nesmith's mother invented White-Out. He spent his early teens pouring white goop into little bottles in their tract-home garage workshop whilst Mom was trying to sell the stuff. Yes, there's a little Monkee in every office in the land.

Very appropriate, I suppose. I learned to type on a Selectric, and the Monkees were just the kind of innocent-madcap music to go with the fumes.

And stuff wot made the news decades later.
03-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
TOT, but actually I would think that sales of White-Out are down a fair bit these days. I mean who uses a typewriter anymore? I still have one stored under the bed but I can't even get ribbons for it anymore unless I want to pay $20 a pop for them plus shipping. But speaking of Mike did you guy see his comments on Davy's passing? Very um, interesting in a sort of "I'm mentally stuck in the 60's still half stoned out of my mind wannabe guru kind of way..." He's definitely a weird juxtaposition that guy. Spends most of his time being a corporate shark making money but he still talks like a flaming hippie, lol.
03-02-2012, 12:50 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Not a big fan pf the "Monkees"...but they were part of a "Golden Age", of which, being old, I have fond memories, VERY fond memories.......so I say to Davey....Thank you very much....you ARE part of history, & we will NEVER forget you.
Cheers, Pickles.