Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-29-2012, 08:52 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can't say "until death do us part" for any brand or product. They aren't married to me, so the reciprocal doesn't make sense. However, there are a few that I currently gravitate to without deliberate thought:

Pentax dSLR cameras. As long as the price to performance ratio stays ahead of Nikon, I have no reason to consider anything else.
SMC PENTAX-A Lenses. Never met one I didn't like.
EVGA motherboards and GPUs. No muss, no fuss, great performance at a good price. That used to be ASUS; times change.
Sandisk Memory Cards. They really just don't have a direct competitor.
Seagate Hard drives. I have shelled just about every other brand, and yet I still have an almost 10 year old, 80GB Seagate SCSI drive pulling regular duty in my workstation.

02-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #17
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I forgot to mention Cheetos there are plenty of simulated Cheetos, but they aren't the same. If it doesn't take 20 minutes of hard scrubbing to get the color off your hands, you are not eating the real things!
Regards!
02-29-2012, 10:22 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I'm loyal to Cheese. Cheese is a brand to me..

I am locked into Pentax, 20plusk invested and 28yrs, so don't really want to start again.

And Cheese, did I mention cheese.
02-29-2012, 10:29 PM   #19
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
And Cheese, did I mention cheese.
Did I mention Cheetos is made with real cheese?

02-29-2012, 10:57 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Diet Coke over Pepsi.
+100.
03-01-2012, 07:59 AM   #21
Banned

I would certainly say I'm married to a few brands.

Sperry Topsiders. my dad wore 'em all his life and I followed suit. I haven't worn a pair of socks in years. boat shoes all year round.

Maui Jim I swear by them. I've owned many sunglasses, even a very expensive pair of Persol's, but nothing really touches Maui Jim. my Pau Hana's quite literally go with me everywhere.

Apple pretty self explanatory really. the only two gadgets I own or need. iPhone and macbook pro.

The Hill-Side the only ties, bandana's and pocket squares I own. I love pretty much everything they make.

Pentax need I say any more?

Waltham all of my watches are vintage and they are all Waltham.

Kodak because I might just die if Portra disappears.
03-01-2012, 09:42 AM   #22
Pentaxian

My brand loyalty centers around my personal experience with a product. My Pentax experience has been good and continues with a recent purchase of of a K5. I was lured by the mystique surrounding Nikon back in my film days and the experience was a disappointment. My daughter has had a bad experience with Nikon DSLR's. Good pictures but cameras that didn't hold up and broke.

Pentax - Still my number 1 camera brand.

Canon printers - I have had very good results with these printers. They are excellent for photos and regular printing and the ink, while not cheap, is better priced.

Western Digital hard drives - Never had a failure. Why change?

Cooper Tires - I have had incredibly high mileage from these tires on both my cars and trucks. 70K miles on average and still with legal tread.

Honda Motorcycles - My newest is a 1977 and still running

LL Bean - I'm a loyal customer. Their parkas and jackets last forever. I will give them away after years because I get sick of wearing them, not because they wore out. Their tents are top notch also. They have replaced products that were several years old that I returned to them. Most of my outdoor gear came from Bean.

Snap-On tools - Expensive but they last and no question asked warranty. Their tool boxes are built like tanks. I bought a new one 3 years ago. The one it replaced was 30 years old and it is still in use by a co-worker.

Old Town- I have kayaks but their canoes last forever too. I have only bought 2 because they have lasted for years.

03-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #23
Veteran Member

All these entries seem to me as merely preferences. What makes you married to a brand over just preferring over another brand? For example, I choose Peter Pan peanut butter over Jif or Skippy, etc,, but I dont feel married to Peter Pan. I prefer certain items made by Columbia sportswear, but I dare say I am married to the brand.

Am I misunderstanding something?
Jason
03-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #24
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
All these entries seem to me as merely preferences. What makes you married to a brand over just preferring over another brand? For example, I choose Peter Pan peanut butter over Jif or Skippy, etc,, but I dont feel married to Peter Pan. I prefer certain items made by Columbia sportswear, but I dare say I am married to the brand.

Jason
for my choices, I would say the definition fits because I clearly choose only these brands and refuse to use any other. such as my shoes. how many years have I been wearing sperry topsider? too many to count. since I was a kid. just bought a new pair yesterday in fact, for my upcoming vacation.
03-01-2012, 10:01 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
for my choices, I would say the definition fits because I clearly choose only these brands and refuse to use any other. such as my shoes. how many years have I been wearing sperry topsider? too many to count. since I was a kid. just bought a new pair yesterday in fact, for my upcoming vacation.
But you could very easily pick another kind of shoe and wear it with no consequences or repercussions whatsoever, right? It is that you just choose to wear Topsiders. I cant imagine that your feet would sue you for half of your assets if slipped into a warm soft tight pair of Pumas.

Jason
03-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #26
Veteran Member

But you could very easily pick another kind of shoe and wear it with no consequences or repercussions whatsoever, right?
Shoes -- I have constraints: 1) I wear USA size 17 or 18; and 2) I'm a cheap bastard. So I'm 'married' to whatever huge sports shoes are on the racks at Ross (discount chain), usually Nike or New Balance or Keds for under US$20. I don't fret over the cachet of any brand, as long as I can wear the shoes and not the box.

Cars -- The Plymouth Pontiac Tempest and Chevy NoVa were sh!t; the Plymouth Satellite and Dodge Aspen wagons, and Dodge Dynasty sedan, and Mazda B2200 pickup all ran well; the Toyota F65 Land Crusher and Caddy Eldorado ran well till their radiators failed; the Chevy 1/2-ton long-bed step-side pickup ran about forever; the Ford Exploder and Nissan Murano run well; but except for Chrysler-Corp cars many decades ago, I've not been 'married' to any brand -- and those MoPars were cheaper than the competition.

Cameras & Lenses -- I won't repeat the long list. Whatever suits my needs is fine.
Electronics -- I mentioned a long association with Sony, but I've had many others.
Clothes -- Like with shoes: Whatever is within budget and fits is fine, of any label.

Are there "consequences or repercussions" with jumping around amongst brands? Maybe aesthetics -- Sony electronics or Perry Ellis clothes or Pentax gear of a certain vintage may look good together, but their functionality isn't affected. Now I hope I don't offend too many members here, but I see brand loyalty as a mark of brainwashing. Any brand has good and bad products; many have noticeable copy variation; I have to judge the individual item, not its family tree. Except Apple. I avoid Apple. We all have our quirks, eh?

Last edited by RioRico; 03-01-2012 at 04:25 PM.
03-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Jason
I"m certainly not "married" to a particular brand but my loyalty to certain brands is very high. I will highly recommend the brands I listed and will look there first for future purchases. There are also certain brands that I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. There are a lot of them.
03-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Kraft Peanut Butter (there others I like but if available I will always get Kraft)
Try making your own peanut butter and you'll probably dump Kraft. It doesn't take much effort in the food processor. Pistachio and Cashew butter are also great options.

I guess I am married to Pentax because the prospect of selling all my lenses is daunting, but for the right camera I'd drop ship. I buy all the Blizzard games at some point, and I had a hard breakup with my Datsun 240Z. I loved that car, but I just couldn't afford the time and money to complete it. I gave it to a friend who has more of both and he's finishing it up. In the future I want only electric cars, hopefully batteries will have a huge leap in capacity in the next few years. The combustion engine is too complicated and too antiquated, and so is the whole drivetrain that goes with it.
03-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #29

Food products are the only things that I consistently buy the same brand over and over. For example:
Kellog cereals
Kraft Deluxe mac & Cheese (the only one my son will eat)
Hunts ketchup
Coca-Cola products (not diet)
Most other stuff depends on price, not the cheapest but also not the most expensive.
Cars, I just have a tendency to keep the one I have, we had a Ford Ranger for almost 20 years then gave it to my brother, I now have a Subaru and have had it for 8 years.
03-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeliaRana Quote
Food products are the only things that I consistently buy the same brand over and over. For example:
Kellog cereals
Kraft Deluxe mac & Cheese (the only one my son will eat)
Hunts ketchup
Coca-Cola products (not diet)
Most other stuff depends on price, not the cheapest but also not the most expensive.
Cars, I just have a tendency to keep the one I have, we had a Ford Ranger for almost 20 years then gave it to my brother, I now have a Subaru and have had it for 8 years.
Good call. I really like GuS Soda (dry soda with 2/3 the sugar) and many Trader Joe's products.