Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2012, 04:02 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
You... BAKED steaks?
LOL. Good point. He would have needed a perforated foil tray to put that on the grill.

03-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
My grill is no more, so I could not grill it. Believe it or not it was quite good, and they were very tender. I am going to try grilling that when I get a new grill later in the spring.
03-05-2012, 09:22 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I'm going to try that coffee beans thingy...sounds interesting! Any special instructions?
Regards!
Nothing special. The steaks must be moist for the beans or pepper corns to stick. Either one should be coarsely ground or crushed, to about 1/16 inch grains or so. I usually do this first and let them sit out while I make salad, etc.

I don't use a perforated grill pan. A lot of the pepper or coffee falls out into the grill but that seems to make little difference. I just flop 'em on the grill and turn at the half cooked time on my Weber gas grill. I don't toy with them while cooking. As I said the flavor imparted by either is subtle.
03-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Be sure to beat your meat. I mean, pound your steak with a tenderizing hammer. WHACK!

03-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Be sure to beat your meat. I mean, pound your steak with a tenderizing hammer. WHACK!
Naughty!

More to the subject, someone earlier in the thread apparently has cooked steaks in the oven. Cooks Illustrated has an article somewhere (they really need an index in each issue for the prior year, like Consumer Reports) which suggested keeping a steak uncovered in the fridge for three days before cooking, sort of dry ageing. I've done this with a rib roast, with good results. They also suggested putting the uncooked steak in an oven at perhaps 150 degrees til the steak reaches an internal temp of about 100 to 125 degrees, and then grilling. The idea is to avoid the grayish bands surrounding the pink center by giving the center a "head start." I haven't tried this yet, but it sounds reasonable if you like steak rare or medium rare.
03-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #21
Veteran Member

That steak is way overcooked and the bacon looks underdone. Lots of room for improvement.
03-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #22
Banned

Does anyone have a link to someone who eats that on a daily basis reach retirement age without calling 911 to be taken to the hospital ?

03-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
That steak is way overcooked and the bacon looks underdone. Lots of room for improvement.
Whether the steak is overdone is a matter of personal taste. The bacon.... Well the whole plan is not to my taste, but to each his own.
03-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Believe it or not but the steak was still juicy and the bacon was only partially crispy, but fully cooked.
03-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Looks like a delicious steak but most bacon leaves me with a headache a couple hours later... I really ought to see if I can get some uncured pork belly from the local farmers and make some fresh bacon.

Also in the process of watching forks over knives. If I wasn't already familiar with all the good doctors featured and the ins and outs of their work (china study, norwegian wartime mortality rates etc.) I'd probably be taken in. It's a well-made film, and the message of proper diet trumping synthetic and invasive medicine is an important one. Unfortunately, it's guided by ideology and the science is selected to match. Good meat and animal fat should not be lumped in with "processed foods" the way Forks Over Knives does, as they enhance rather than degrade human health, regardless of your genes. Compared to diet, the influence of genes on health is pretty minimal. Genes create predispositions; diet (and environment) determine their expression. Animal-based foods are appropriate to the human genome's healthful expression- meat in and of itself is not the enemy. The bigger picture must be taken into account.
03-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Leftovers make great Possum Salad sandwiches!

Rupert, I've actually had possum (among other critters).....it's a tad on the greasy side if you ask me..

and its doesn't taste like chicken....
03-05-2012, 10:27 PM   #27
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
Leftovers make great Possum Salad sandwiches!

Rupert, I've actually had possum (among other critters).....it's a tad on the greasy side if you ask me..

and its doesn't taste like chicken....
Greasy is the word, and no, it doesn't taste anything like chicken....more like pork, but more greasy. Raccoon is even more greasy and tougher, but lacking the delicious flavor of Possum..... Of course, since a Possum will eat anything....and I do mean anything......it depends on the locale. If you live next to the county dump, the flavor might not be so superb?

Regards!
03-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Believe it or not but the steak was still juicy and the bacon was only partially crispy, but fully cooked.
I believe it was juicy, but the flavor in steak is cooked out when you get it well done (unless you just want to taste seasonings). Medium rare 4 lyfe.

Best method for preparing a steak IMO: Pan Seared Rib Eye Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network
03-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #29
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've never developed the taste for rare, medium rare, or even medium. I like mine medium well.
03-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
I believe it was juicy, but the flavor in steak is cooked out when you get it well done (unless you just want to taste seasonings). Medium rare 4 lyfe.

Best method for preparing a steak IMO: Pan Seared Rib Eye Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network
Interesting! Pan cooking can be very good. We bought a cast iron skillet with ridges. Does a fine job, but a lot of smoke.