Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #31
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I've never developed the taste for rare, medium rare, or even medium. I like mine medium well.
If I am having a dinner where I am serving beef, especially if the main course is a prime rib, I will not even invite someone over if I know they don't eat medium or rarer. I think people who eat a fine cut of beef medium well or well done should be reported to the SPCA for cruelty based on them wasting the cow's life.

03-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
We did a rib roast for Christmas and followed the instructions given in Cooks Illustrated which are very similar to those in Ad Hoc at Home by Thomas Keller. The roast was kept uncovered on a rack in the fridge for 3 or 4 days. We browned the roast on all sides in a iron fry pan (Keller suggests a propane torch, I couldn't find mine.) It is then roasted, uncovered, at 350 I think to an internal temp of 120 or 125F. The result was a nicely browned roast with only a tiny layer -1/4 inch or less - of fully cooked meat surrounding a lovely, pink, medium rare, juicy, succulent center. Yummy! to use a techincal term.

I gather that proper beef restaurants have ovens capable of holding 120 degrees to keep the roasts hot, but not cooking further. Our oven won't do that!
03-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I realized after the above post that I could probably find Keller's recipe on line. Here it is with the illustrations from the lovely book, a gift from my darling daughter and her incredibly lucky husband:

Blowtorch Prime Rib Roast Recipe from Ad Hoc at Home by Thomas Keller ? The Delicious Life
03-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Sounds awesome!

03-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is! Just don't tell anyone how easy it is. Bwahahaha (laughs hysterically!)
03-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Naughty!

More to the subject, someone earlier in the thread apparently has cooked steaks in the oven. Cooks Illustrated has an article somewhere (they really need an index in each issue for the prior year, like Consumer Reports) which suggested keeping a steak uncovered in the fridge for three days before cooking, sort of dry ageing. I've done this with a rib roast, with good results. They also suggested putting the uncooked steak in an oven at perhaps 150 degrees til the steak reaches an internal temp of about 100 to 125 degrees, and then grilling. The idea is to avoid the grayish bands surrounding the pink center by giving the center a "head start." I haven't tried this yet, but it sounds reasonable if you like steak rare or medium rare.

My butcher, a good country butcher, sells two kinds of steak - fresh and aged. I always have aged, it's just way better.

And has anyone ever tried boiling steak ? It's different. And 'no' - it's not how I normally do steak, it was a camping emergency many years ago.
03-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
I think people who eat a fine cut of beef medium well or well done should be reported to the SPCA for cruelty based on them wasting the cow's life.
I disagree, to me if it isn't med-well to well, all I can tatse is blood and that is a very unappealing taste for me. I also have a problem with salt, I use very little of it.

My favorite way to cook steak is to coat with cracked black pepper and sear in a cast iron skillet until desired doneness. No other spices or salt.

03-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #38
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I got a great deal on some aged ribeye. I know what is for dinner this weekend. They will be medium well, and have worchestershire sauce, a little finely diced garlic, and some pepper. Maybe some bacon strips and bacon strips and bacon strips and bacon strips too!
03-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #39
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One of my best friends has a Meat Market....we eat good around here!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Don't always know what it is, but it is always good eatin'!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Regards!
03-06-2012, 10:42 PM   #40
Veteran Member

I got a great deal on some aged ribeye. I know what is for dinner this weekend. They will be medium well, and have worchestershire sauce, a little finely diced garlic, and some pepper. Maybe some bacon strips and bacon strips and bacon strips and bacon strips too!
Oh no, this is a crime!
03-07-2012, 06:49 AM   #41
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Don't always know what it is, but it is always good eatin'!
Is that a greyhound or a fawn?
03-07-2012, 07:34 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Looks like a real sanitary environment.
03-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Doesn't anyone here use their lenses to focus sunlight to cook meat? That's the next step for LBA.
03-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #44
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Now someone is going to have to try the lens thing. Hopefully someone who likes the undercooked (as in rare) meat. Speaking of that I knew someone who ate theirs raw.
03-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #45
Inactive Account

Now someone is going to have to try the lens thing. Hopefully someone who likes the undercooked (as in rare) meat. Speaking of that I knew someone who ate theirs raw.
Steak tartare is quite good, but you must trust the quality of the meat and the person who prepares it. Another great way to prepare raw meat for consumption is pickling it.