Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think what they're afraid of is that they've *become* him, even as that professional hater is seen for what he's always been: A greedy, willfully-ignorant, bloated mockery of everything America stands for.

They're right to be afraid of that. Rush's demagoguery represents the head of that dragon they thought was so convenient to ride even when the man was making their current policies and theology for em while drooling on Oxycontin. But has gone from razing villages and hoarding treasure to trippin' about maidens.

03-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #17
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
George Will and David Frum are pointing out how dangerous it becomes when someone who starts out as an entertainer becomes something much more.
You mean like Hanoi Jane?
03-07-2012, 12:01 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
If she were as popular as Rush, then yes. OTOH, how many people really gave a hoot what she said?
03-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #19
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

OTOH, how many people really gave a hoot what she said?
I'm guessing that the families of the servicemen that died as a direct result of her treason gave a hoot or two.

03-07-2012, 12:11 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I'm guessing that the families of the servicemen that died as a direct result of her treason gave a hoot or two.
Well, I meant how many gave a hoot in a positive way.
03-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #21
Banned

Original Poster
Right, the Vietnam War was such a great idea. I seen all of the silver caskets sitting on wagons in a secret part of Elmendorf AFB up in Alaska waiting to be shipped home when I was up there from 66 to 68. It's too bad JFK got shot because he was ready to pull out in 63 before it really got going. The Republicans are in love with war to keep the military contractors happy. BTW they are full of it with their Support the Troops bumper stickers because they don't give a crap about the troops when they come home and have to deal with healthcare or for a decent pay check.
03-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Fonda was pretty stupid, but surely her actions made about as much difference to the war as a fart in a windtunnel? A convenient hate figure to divert anger to, which really ought to have been directed at the politicians and generals.

03-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #23
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Right, the Vietnam War was such a great idea.
No, we had no business being there; but we were there and there were more Americans killed than would have been absent her actions.
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
The Republicans are in love with war to keep the military contractors happy.........
There may be some truth to that, but combat troops were sent there by........

Drumroll...........................................

A Democrat. It was a Republican that ultimately withdrew them. Facts are a b****, aren't they?

Bonus trivia question: What was the party affiliation of Harry S Truman? You Know, the President that sent troops to Korea.
03-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #24
Veteran Member

No, we had no business being there; but we were there and there were more Americans killed than would have been absent her actions. .
Really? It was unseemly to go sit on that gun, but I hadn't heard how it actually cost American lives.

BTW, I was a Republican back when Republicans ended wars.
03-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #25
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

BTW, I was a Republican back when Republicans ended wars.
So was I.

Really? It was unseemly to go sit on that gun, but I hadn't heard how it actually cost American lives.
This is a sensitive and personal issue that I don't care to discuss. Everyone has opinions, and all opinions are valid.
03-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #26
Veteran Member

This is a sensitive and personal issue that I don't care to discuss. Everyone has opinions, and all opinions are valid.
Didn't mean to pry. I thought you were making a statement of fact.
03-07-2012, 11:37 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

No, we had no business being there; but we were there and there were more Americans killed than would have been absent her actions.
This will probably destroy any of the good will I've built up over the past few months, and this is not intended to be an anti American rant, since I would apply the same litmus test to any country but....
Perhaps if more Americans died from being where they had no business being, Americans would spend less time being where they had no business being.
03-08-2012, 05:55 AM   #28
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
This will probably destroy any of the good will I've built up over the past few months, and this is not intended to be an anti American rant, since I would apply the same litmus test to any country but....
Perhaps if more Americans died from being where they had no business being, Americans would spend less time being where they had no business being.
That would be a valid theory, if the ones dieing were the ones that made the decisions about being where they were.

BTW, What good will?
03-08-2012, 06:57 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

That would be a valid theory, if the ones dieing were the ones that made the decisions about being where they were.

BTW, What good will?
Well yes, my theory is based on a presumption that the people sending soldiers off to war actually give a damn about their lives.
03-08-2012, 08:29 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Just a bit of "background"
http://www.cliostein.com/documents/1998/98%20lec%20ho%20chi%20hanoi.pdf

QuoteQuote:
One example among others: If the USA had supported Ho chi Minh or his rivals to power in 1945 to make Vietnam its ally, the war with American human loss could have been avoided, though a bloody civil war - nationalists against communists - would have happened anyway.
War Frame

QuoteQuote:
Many people were saying that MACV Headquarters lied to the press, exaggerating the enemy losses.

MACV reported that the total loss of lives on the Communist side was about more than 900.000. But a few years ago, the Communist government in Hanoi confirmed that it had lost 1,1 million soldiers. Nearly no one has given MACV retroactive credit for its discretion in reporting enemy dead.

Last edited by jeffkrol; 03-08-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Closed Thread