Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
Banned

George Will: Republican Leaders Are Afraid of Rush Limbaugh

QuoteQuote:
Conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh has been inundated with criticism after calling Sandra Fluke, a Georgetown University student who testified before a House committee about contraception, a “slut” and a “prostitute.” But while Democrats have fiercely condemned the comments, Republicans’ ire has been significantly more muted.

ABC’s George Will told me Sunday on “This Week” that GOP leaders have steered clear of harshly denouncing Limbaugh’s comments because “Republican leaders are afraid of Rush Limbaugh.”

“[House Speaker John] Boehner comes out and says Rush’s language was inappropriate. Using the salad fork for your entrée, that’s inappropriate. Not this stuff,” Will said. “And it was depressing because what it indicates is that the Republican leaders are afraid of Rush Limbaugh. They want to bomb Iran, but they’re afraid of Rush Limbaugh.”
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/03/george-will-republican-leaders-...rush-limbaugh/

03-05-2012, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Apparently Santorum was even more evasive, merely saying that he would have been more circumspect with his language (but apparently not his thoughts). Which only goes to show that Santorum actually is made of what the very rude definition defines his name is.
03-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Santorum did say it was unacceptable.
03-05-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
Pentaxian

"ABC’s George Will told me Sunday on “This Week” that GOP leaders have steered clear of harshly denouncing Limbaugh’s comments because “Republican leaders are afraid of Rush Limbaugh.”

I would agree with George Will.

03-06-2012, 02:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
related: Are we being fair to Rush Limbaugh? - CNN.com
(by David Frum, was mentioned in another thread)
03-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
Santorum did say it was unacceptable.
This is a quote from Santorum according to CBS:
"Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum on Friday dismissed radio host Rush Limbaugh's disparaging remarks about student activist Sandra Fluke as "absurd."

"He's being absurd, but that's you know, an entertainer can be absurd," Santorum said on CNN. "He's in a very different business than I am."

Rush Limbaugh's Sandra Fluke comments "absurd," says Rick Santorum - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

This is a very weak way of saying unacceptable.
03-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
"Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum on Friday dismissed radio host Rush Limbaugh's disparaging remarks about student activist Sandra Fluke as "absurd."

"He's being absurd, but that's you know, an entertainer can be absurd," Santorum said on CNN. "He's in a very different business than I am."

Rush Limbaugh's Sandra Fluke comments "absurd," says Rick Santorum - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

If Limbaugh were nothing more than an entertainer, Santorum might be closer to the mark.

If Ms. Fluke were a politician who can't get enough attention, I might see the comparison with remarks of many comedians about Sarah Palin as a closer comparison as well.

03-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
If Limbaugh were nothing more than an entertainer, Santorum might be closer to the mark.

If Ms. Fluke were a politician who can't get enough attention, I might see the comparison with remarks of many comedians about Sarah Palin as a closer comparison as well.
What limbaugh and, apparently, oreilly are doing is attempting to shut down public input or debate on these issue by using their positions to bully people who have a stake in the issues at hand.
After witnessing what Ms. Fluke had to put up with from these two brownshirts, it is very likely that other people would just say to hell with it, putting their ideas out there isn't worth the punishment.
They are hiding behind freedom of speech to attempt to suppress freedom of speech. This is morally wrong and very cowardly.
03-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Santorum is right, Limbaugh is an entertainer. He says what he wants, knowing he's on the edge most of the time. That's how he get the huge audience. Like Imus and Stearn, even people who disagree with him listen because of the entertainment quality of his show. The problem is that a large portion of his listeners take his word as gospel and a Republican candidate that says anything about Rush is going to get hit on the next show. It would be refreshing if just one of them came out and said, Rush is an ***hole and his show is a 3 hour fart broadcast on the radio every day. Farts make some people laugh, some people mad, and others sick to their stomach. A pretty good description of his show.
03-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Santorum is right, Limbaugh is an entertainer.
My understanding (remember, I'm a foreigner) is that limbaugh broadcasts as a political commentator on a news channel (fox news?). If this is the case, then he is more than an entertainer, since he is associated with news, and therefore would carry a bit more weight than a guest entertainer on Saturday Night live.
03-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #11
Pentaxian

You are correct and my memory was not.
03-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #12
Pentaxian

My understanding (remember, I'm a foreigner) is that limbaugh broadcasts as a political commentator on a news channel (fox news?). If this is the case, then he is more than an entertainer, since he is associated with news, and therefore would carry a bit more weight than a guest entertainer on Saturday Night live.
His show is political but has a strong entertainment quality. It's very entertaining commentary with a conservative political slant. That's why he has so many listeners and even a lot who totally disagree with much of his views. Nobody really wants to listen to a political rant for hours on end day after day. A lot of entertainers have gone into politics. Ronald Reagan, Sonny Bono, Arnold Schartzenneger (I know I misspelled it, it's late), Al Franken, just to name a few. Rush sees the world like a Monday morning quarterback. It's easy to critical in hindsight but Rush has said he has no desire to run for office. He makes more money doing his show and he has said as much. If he really went into politics, then he would have to take some responsibility for the state of the world. He's unwilling to take on the responsibility of making decisions and makes millions complaining and poking fun at those who do. That makes him an entertainer in my view. That's also the difference between Rush and serious political commentators like George Will.
03-07-2012, 06:07 AM   #13
Veteran Member

George Will and David Frum are pointing out how dangerous it becomes when someone who starts out as an entertainer becomes something much more. There is a leadership void in today's political scene, and these talkers are filling it. Limbaugh was one of the first and is far and away the most powerful. No one, on either side of the spectrum, has politicians bending down to kiss his/her feet the way politicians on the right do for Limbaugh. If tomorrow, Bill Maher (who BTW defends Limbaugh and Imus) or Stephanie Miller from the left assumed this stature, it would be just as dangerous, and it would also be incompatible with their roles as comedians.

If (showing my age here) you went to a Don Rickles performance, and were insulted, you would have thought you got what you paid for. If the President, or Speaker or someone else who appears to have a strong hold on people in power insults you, it is different.
03-07-2012, 06:40 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
side note.... Colbert vs Stewart.
personnaly prefer the more twisted Cobert spin BUT I did find this part of Stewart to be sooooooooooooo fitting:

QuoteQuote:
" And if you're a taxpayer whose taxes are going to things you don't like, Stewart said welcome to the club: He'd like to be reimbursed for the Iraq War and oil subsidies and then "diaphragms are on me."
03-07-2012, 08:42 AM   #15
Pentaxian

We have a long tradition in this country of entertainers drifting into politics. Will Rogers became famous in his day. I don't have a problem with it and enjoy some of the commentary. I enjoy Stewart and Colbert and have watched Bill Maher back when I had TV. I think most of us would have no issue describing these guys as entertainers. Even the Colbert for President was tongue in cheek. To show my age, it reminded me of Pat Paulson from a few decades back. Limbaugh intimidates politicians and manages to get away with it and none of them have the balls to call him out. He will rant about the lifestyle of a college student while his own personal life is a shambles. I turned him off long ago.

One more thing to consider is that Rush isn't going to change anything on his show. He probably has more listeners today because people who normally don't tune him in, will listen just to hear his response. His advertisers will quietly come back after the dust settles. He makes his money by stirring up the pot. Back when the Republicans had control of everything, he didn't slow down a bit. That's what chronic whiners do.
Closed Thread