Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2012, 05:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
State agencies, colleges demand applicants' Facebook passwords

Red Tape - State agencies, colleges demand applicants' Facebook passwords

QuoteQuote:
If you think privacy settings on your Facebook and Twitter accounts guarantee future employers or schools can't see your private posts, guess again.

Employers and colleges find the treasure-trove of personal information hiding behind password-protected accounts and privacy walls just too tempting, and increasingly, they are demanding full access from applicants and students.

Just one more reason to retire... 1984 here we come... thoughtcrime... facebookcrime... twittercrime...

Last edited by MRRiley; 03-06-2012 at 06:03 AM.
03-06-2012, 06:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
??
Damn! they just got no shame...and people do not wise up!
Facebook, cellphones, cameras everywhere...the electronic leash is there for those who want to use it...and people are servile enough not to enrage and give them what they deserve.
03-06-2012, 06:44 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

It's certainly a good reason to hide behind anonymous usernames on websites and to stay away from social networking sites.
03-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't have a Facebook or Twitter account.
I wonder if the next step to requiring you to provide passwords is to just deny your application if you don't have an account.

03-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I don't have a Facebook or Twitter account.
I wonder if the next step to requiring you to provide passwords is to just deny your application if you don't have an account.
They would probably just assume you are lying.
03-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm afraid that a lot of young folk will find there a**es in the proverbial sling because of some of the really foolish stuff floating around in the ether. I don't have Facebook or Twitter, only Flickr. The old mantra was never put anything in an email you wouldn't put on a public bulletin board, but by comparison emails seem fortresses of security.

The link was interesting, appalling. I think a court challenge is in order. Let's see, first amendment, prohibition on self-incrimination.... Any lawyers out there care to weigh in?

Why do so many seem to feel it is essential to share every foolish detail of their lives? How many "friends" does any one person need? Would a Facebook "friend" bring you jumper cables when you're stranded 10 miles away in a rainstorm? I did for Joe, because I knew he'd to the same for me. That's a friend,
03-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
I'm afraid that a lot of young folk will find there a**es in the proverbial sling because of some of the really foolish stuff floating around in the ether. I don't have Facebook or Twitter, only Flickr. The old mantra was never put anything in an email you wouldn't put on a public bulletin board, but by comparison emails seem fortresses of security.

The link was interesting, appalling. I think a court challenge is in order. Let's see, first amendment, prohibition on self-incrimination.... Any lawyers out there care to weigh in?

Why do so many seem to feel it is essential to share every foolish detail of their lives? How many "friends" does any one person need? Would a Facebook "friend" bring you jumper cables when you're stranded 10 miles away in a rainstorm? I did for Joe, because I knew he'd to the same for me. That's a friend,
If any employer or school asked me to share with them my password or even to look over my shoulder while I log into my facebook, I would tell them a flatout no and ask them how they thought my right of privacy would not come up.

My understanding of this law there's two views. The first is for employers to make sure you aren't maligning them or giving them a bad image on your facebook. This falls in line with the employers who try to friend you under a fake account. The second is for employers to view your past history to make sure you are in line with their image of you - and this is completely inappropriate for anyone to do.

03-06-2012, 04:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

One aspect that is implied but not explicitly stated in the article is that this practice exposes third parties (i.e. Facebook 'friends') to monitoring without their consent or knowledge.
03-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

This is an absolute violation of privacy (not to mention intellectual property) ...but I have always wondered... Will everybody saying everything on social media finally get the corporate world over the idea that *anybody* is 'normal' or related to the standards they judge by?
03-07-2012, 07:03 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sad, but I think I would either have two accounts or just live without Facebook.
03-07-2012, 08:07 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
One aspect that is implied but not explicitly stated in the article is that this practice exposes third parties (i.e. Facebook 'friends') to monitoring without their consent or knowledge.
Good point. That aspect could be the death of FB.
03-07-2012, 08:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Good point. That aspect could be the death of FB.

As well as suppressing communication between people. Even the corporate snooping we already have is more likely to have a chilling effect on points of view not in keeping with corporate agendas... demanding passwords is like demanding a key to your house or even a copy of your diary. Yeah, the Net's not secure, but there are still certain expectations of privacy... even control, (What's to stop people from adding, editing, or deleting anything, anyway, never mind looking at more-private conversations... ) that this blows way past....
03-08-2012, 03:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I believe Facebook has indicated that the practice violates their "Terms of Service"
03-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
I believe Facebook has indicated that the practice violates their "Terms of Service"
(subject to change without notice)
03-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Oh, that IS rich.