Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2012, 11:11 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
I understand this
if you are a one man band, then it does not matter what brand you use
but if you are one member of a team, and it is good to have consistancy.
If other members use either canon or nikon, then it is good to only work with people use these two brand, so they can share gears.
QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
or maybe the reason is that they need full-frame DSLR users..then pentax do not have one..........
Both of these reasons are fishing. Neither one passes any sort of logical scrutiny.
The studio I worked with used Nikon, Canon and Pentax. There was never an issue with sharing, since none of the equipment was cross compatible.
The full frame reason is equally specious. The number of times that a cropped frame is a deal breaker would be quite close to the number of times that a full frame would be a deal breaker.

03-08-2012, 12:10 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, this is either camera snobbery or because she has the impression that clients will care about the brand (which can in some cases be true, and as a business operator you just have to adjust to that). If it was Canon only or Nikon only one might make the case that it is easier to share stuff, but both?
03-08-2012, 05:43 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I recently took photos at an International Sufing Contest, the results speak for themselves as to the quality and consistancy of the Pentax, some of the comments about the pics made me laugh, (as to how Canon users justify things in their minds - seems they don't like it when their shots simply where not as clear and crisp and sharp as what came from a non-PRO-camera - quite upset actually) and another comment I can repeat after see how good the pics were, and how many were better than theirs, was "Imagine just how good your photos could have been IF you had a real camera like a Canon!" this from a Canon Pro, whos photos from a PRO Canon, were not as good as mine with the K-5's........ This obviously made sense in his mind, but to my mind saying my better quality pics would have been better is I had shot with a camera like his that side by side on the day produced lesser quality pics????

I understand the "theory" of a Studio wanting the same level of gears, but this comment of shared gears, I don't know any Pro's that swap their high end lenses with each other, having a lens, means YOU get the job over others and get more work, I don't know anybody that gives thier lenses to others. But, Yes, Strobist gears are often owned by studios and having a camera that works with them a Must.

I think, "A LOT" of people "Believe" that simply having a Canon or Nikon Pro Level camera "Actually" makes them a "PRO" and magically their Pictures are "Better" than any shot on a "lesser" brand.

I have met many people that earn their living taking pictures, many have little understanding of the dynamics of light, what aperatures really do, and how to take pictures without a "script" IE following a set of staged picture senarios, there are very few that I personally class as true Professional Photographers just because thats what they do for a living and they shoot with PRO Gear.

To quote Austin Powers. "Woop dee doooo Basil!!! But What's it all mean????"
03-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just for the record, the reason the photographer only hires photographers with Canon or Nikon is due to the fact that they shoot a lot of gymnastic events. They want their staff to have cameras that have a quick AF and AL system to catch the moments. That I can understand. But they also shoot weddings and senior portraits.

03-08-2012, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #20
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Hey Elwood Quote
Just for the record, the reason the photographer only hires photographers with Canon or Nikon is due to the fact that they shoot a lot of gymnastic events. They want their staff to have cameras that have a quick AF and AL system to catch the moments. That I can understand. But they also shoot weddings and senior portraits.
How did they shoot gymnastics before AF ? I guess if I get a $200 pair of basketball shoes I could play with the pros.
03-08-2012, 07:10 AM   #21
Banned

all the other comments aside, I can clearly see how a certain type of photography would require certain brands. Sony for instance can be considered more 'pro' than Pentax, but even sony can't compete on the same level as canon and nikon for any kind of quick sports photography. this is an area of photography that canon and nikon (being two companies who make their money by 'one-upping' each other) specialize in.I mean, you could show up with a Leica M9 and 30 grand worth of glass, and you likely would be turned down. that doesn't mean these twos are the only brands that can compete in this arena, and one can even argue that this sort of brand segregation has more to do with the 'pros' relying more on equipment than their own skill (read: sports photography was done before AF) but the truth is, they do to a good extent, and thus it becomes necessary that certain brands have to be used. so one can certainly see how this makes sense. to an extent. because this reasoning clearly puts all of your skill as a photographer and thus a integral part of this team on the equipment and not the photographer. now, I give them credit for succeeding thus far with this philosophy, but the truth is, if they are willing to decline quality, skilled photographers based on equipment instead of skill behind the lens, this speaks more of them than it does you. its a sad way of doing business and will in one way or another negatively affect their business. if I were you, I would say, if they aren't interested in your skill and only consider your equipment, than this isn't a group you want to be a part of. you would be better off, and I think you should tell your friend that.
03-08-2012, 07:15 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If your goal is to work for one of these clowns, and I say clowns in the nicest possible way... then you have to own what they want you to own. I guess my point would be... the reason she needs people to work for her is.. she expects her employees to provide their own tools. That's a great work model, sometimes known as a scam. Look at it this way... the more she can get you to pay for your equipment, the more money she can put in her pocket.

The other side of this is she may already have lenses for use on assignment that are only Nikon and Canon, but she should still be buying the bodies. It's her company.

If people can't get other people to work for them, there's almost always a reason.

03-08-2012, 07:16 AM   #23
Veteran Member

if it is sports shooting that is the issue then they should be more specific. you need to have a D3/4 or a 1Dx

Ron from the Netherlands here on the forum shoots pro volleyball (and other sports) and gets excellent results. Sports results are as much about knowing the sport and predicting play as they are about being able to machine gun and pray for the focus to hit on the best frame. Heck until the early 90's all sports guys shot with manual focus and got some amazing shots. In school i shot sports with manual focus it was about knowing the sport predicting play and pre-focusing on zones being ready for the shot. even before i got a motor drive camera i managed to get enough good shots from any event (though if the Gymnastics are about getting the shot for parents then you would need a higher percentage than i did at school)

If you are shooting a K% it's a more accurate focus than comparable level canikons BTW. Photozone tests of the 7d, D7000 and K5 the K5 was most accurate, the canon was fast but had the most focus errors, the Nikon was faster than the Pentax but had a lower acceptable rate and was a little better in low light (due to the better assist light probably)
Before the K5 came along it was a more valid issue, but even on my K7 I noticed pretty dramatic AF improvement over my older models (MZ5n,istds,K10)
So partially it depends on what Pentax gear you have.
aside from that Weddings and portraits certainly don't need the af speed of a D$, but they do need accuracy and in focus. As long as you have good lenses and a good body either of these are easily done (really K10 forward can deal with these styles but a K5 is obviously the preferred tool) So reality is your friend is being a camera snob or she doesn't like your work (assuming she has seen it)
03-08-2012, 07:36 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Run-away brides?
03-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
another comment I can repeat after see how good the pics were, and how many were better than theirs, was "Imagine just how good your photos could have been IF you had a real camera like a Canon!" this from a Canon Pro, whos photos from a PRO Canon, were not as good as mine with the K-5's...
AH AH AH !! <ROFL>

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
(read: sports photography was done before AF)
Can't find the thread, but i'd lvoe to read it

I really enjoy this kind of thread about "if you don't use a brand, then no", because there is often some funny anecdotes likes thoses with the canon pro
03-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you are going to be using your own lenses in a shop with other pros, you need to remember 2 important rules.

Rule #1. Never share your gear.

Rule #2. Remember rule #1.

The men & women who are in the trades and have to own their own tools had this figured out a long time ago. There's a good reason they don't share.

So I'm going to be hired to shoot at an event and I have to use my own gear. And then someone wants me to share my FA 200 macro? Yeah, right. And I want a pony.

As to the argument that gear must be compatible for workflow purposes... that logic has already been suitably trashed in this thread.
03-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Canon or Nikon for high-speed sports - ok, I can see that - UNLESS you show a portfolio that includes such photos taken with your K-5 that are excellent........you see, the prejudice that it can't happen consistently with anything else is another brand snobbery.

My question, which I have not seen asked or answered, is this - Did she look at your portfolio at all? If not, she's a hack with a good business sense IMHO (if she's being truthful about swimming in work).
03-08-2012, 03:11 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Canon or Nikon for high-speed sports - ok, I can see that - UNLESS you show a portfolio that includes such photos taken with your K-5 that are excellent........you see, the prejudice that it can't happen consistently with anything else is another brand snobbery.

My question, which I have not seen asked or answered, is this - Did she look at your portfolio at all? If not, she's a hack with a good business sense IMHO (if she's being truthful about swimming in work).
She's been a friend of mine for about 2-3 years now. We met at a photography event and have been friends ever since. I don't know if she's really seen my portfolio but I know she wants her shooters to have extremely fast af systems. I can can my K20d that I currently have is aweful when it comes to autolock and I have been concidering moving up to the K-5. During the conversation I told her I was debating about switching to a Nikon d7000 or getting the Pentax K-5. She asked me why I wanted to go with Nikon instead of Canon. I told her I thought the colors were richer with Nikon. Here response was "I beg to differ but I think you're wrong there buddy".
03-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Funny about the AF and Sports, My K-5 did better at the Surf Comp at tracking surfers across the face of waves, remember, surfers are going at a good running pace across the face of a wave (from right to left), but also the wave itself is advancing forwards at again a good running pace, and the K-5 tracked the surfer in AF-C mode at 7 frames a second for busts of up to 35-40 pics... Can't see how it needs to be better.

And, for what its worth, for Sports, I actually prefer the APS-c sensors, as with most of the FF raw pics I saw, they had to crop their image heavily to frame just the surfer (and that was with a 600mm/f4), so FF isn't really a "Bonus" there. FF in portrait, wedding ect Yes, thats what you want there.

But Hey.... each to their own, unfortunate some will make such blanket rules.
03-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #30
Veteran Member

She's been a friend of mine for about 2-3 years now. We met at a photography event and have been friends ever since. I don't know if she's really seen my portfolio but I know she wants her shooters to have extremely fast af systems. I can can my K20d that I currently have is aweful when it comes to autolock and I have been concidering moving up to the K-5. During the conversation I told her I was debating about switching to a Nikon d7000 or getting the Pentax K-5. She asked me why I wanted to go with Nikon instead of Canon. I told her I thought the colors were richer with Nikon. Here response was "I beg to differ but I think you're wrong there buddy".
You need other friend.

Next time she say that again, ask her to borrow you her gear to convince you Canon is better.