Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
Banned

New Challenger Video: Super 8 Film Of Space Shuttle Disaster Uncovered

QuoteQuote:
Rare film of the 1986 Challenger explosion, taken by Jeffrey Ault of Orange City, Fla., has emerged. It is perhaps the only amateur recording of the event on film, and online it has been made available exclusively to The Huffington Post.
New Challenger Video: Super 8 Film Of Space Shuttle Disaster Uncovered (EXCLUSIVE VIDEO)

03-09-2012, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for posting.

Until the end of the shuttle program last year (was it only last year?) I would still inwardly shudder a bit at the command 'Go for throttle up' which is where Challenger and it's crew ended their mission that day.
03-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I remember being 9 years old and in 4th grade when that happened. At school they had a TV set up in the cafeteria and we saw it happen. That's one of those things you never forget.
03-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As luck would have it - or fate - I started the clip during the last few minutes of the final movement of Tchaikovski's 6th symphony. A heart-wrenching experience, even so far in the past.

I remember discussing the causes with my Father, a PhD in chemical engineering with great industrial and academic experience, long before the "report" came out. He'd done some research and characterized the decision to launch in the face the advice of mission engineers and Morton Thiokol, builders of the boosters, as "damn foolishness." Richard Feynman, a member of the committee, filed a minority report. It makes disturbing reading, full of details of NASA's wishfull thinking.

The Challenger and the Enterprise disasters come close to the Greek's definition of tragedy: overweening pride leading to disaster.

03-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
The Challenger and the Enterprise disasters come close to the Greek's definition of tragedy: overweening pride leading to disaster.
Not wishing to correct, but I believe you mean Columbia in 2003.

It seems that every endeavour leads to the same sort of disaster ultimately, and from there we learn.

Titanic is probably the most famous, being considered unsinkable.
03-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
Not wishing to correct, but I believe you mean Columbia in 2003.

It seems that every endeavour leads to the same sort of disaster ultimately, and from there we learn.

Titanic is probably the most famous, being considered unsinkable.
And right you are.
03-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
And right you are.
You have actually summed it up perfectly with the greek connection. A very interesting thought.

Mankind thinking they've mastered something only to find out that many things can go wrong and unfortunately will go wrong.