Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-10-2012, 11:41 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Update Number *Two* from my Afghan Deployment

CONTENT REMOVED

Not anymore

Alex Jansen Photography | Afghan Deployment Series, Update Two

A link to the index of the published updates (as they are being re-uploaded in sequential order) can be found at the above update.

-Heie

I won't be making any other "bumps" to this thread, I just wanted to update the initial post and let those who were subscribed to this be made aware.

Last edited by Heie; 03-18-2015 at 03:58 PM. Reason: And we're back ;)
03-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

A superb set of images, they give an insight into a world many will never know, and show the hardships you guys and girls have to endure. My thoughts and wishes are with you all, stay safe and keep posting those shot's.
03-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Interesting reading one doesn't come by too often. I'm a bit surprised you can tell even this much considering where you are and what you do. Keep posting and keep safe.
03-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #4

Great shots and interesting stories, thank you for posting and for serving.

03-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Alex, thanks for the update. I appreciate these updates with pics and narrative that are not filtered by the press. For those that are concerned about Alex posting classified info, IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN. The only thing we know is, that he is in Afganistan, and I believe it is a rather large piece of real estate.
Keep safe and and post when you have time. Thanks.. Cliff
03-10-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for sharing these insights both photographically and narratively.
03-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I agree, great photographs and narrative. Thank you.

03-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks a lot for a very interesting post! I'm looking forward for your next update.
03-11-2012, 05:24 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

interesting geography indeed!

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Circular Polarizer Filters are not compatible with shooting through glass. Who'da thunk it?
That would probably be bulletproof glass, which has a layer of polycarbonate(plastic) bonded to the glass. The polycarbonate layer is designed to absorb and disperse the impact from a bullet. Plastics cause that kind of discolouration when seen through a polariser because polarised light allows one to see the microscopic stresses that arise within the polymers.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-13-2012 at 04:14 PM.
03-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #10

I agree - great shots....Go Army! Keep 'em coming. Stay safe.
03-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Great work on all fronts.
Thanks for the photos and description.
Keep them coming!
03-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #12
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Everything I use this "toilet" I am afraid the plywood floor is going to give out....
Notice the complete lack of silverware? That's right, this guy has become a pro at eating with his hands (and I joke with my soldiers that the Afghans that use spoons aren't as authentic as me).

Bomb shoots and the left hand rule. Shivers and not all that pleasant memories.

DAZ
03-14-2012, 12:22 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for the compliments! I very much appreciate them, and because it is my job to ensure the powerpoint-loving colonels and generals are well fed, I am constantly taking my camera with me wherever I go now. The Canon 200EG backpack has truly been a fantastic investment, and whenever not on a combat mission, I carry it just as frequently as I carry a 9mm handgun. I will write a full review on it once I have a little bit more time with it and it has experienced some more time in the sandbox. But if the last two months mean anything to you, I strongly recommend you get one if you are considering getting yourself a small, compact, yet spacious backpack for your cameras/lenses. I am constantly shocked by how much crap I can comfortably fit inside it (i.e. I always have a flash and all my lenses and backup K-7 with me now!). And the best part? It's only $40! Amazon.com: Canon Deluxe Photo Backpack 200EG for Canon EOS SLR Cameras (Black with Green Accent): Camera & Photo

QuoteOriginally posted by usn ret Quote
Alex, thanks for the update. I appreciate these updates with pics and narrative that are not filtered by the press. For those that are concerned about Alex posting classified info, IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN. The only thing we know is, that he is in Afganistan, and I believe it is a rather large piece of real estate. Keep safe and and post when you have time. Thanks.. Cliff
Much appreciated, Cliff. I completely agree with you: I hate the sugarcoating and political correctness that has become the modus operendai of the media these days. And for those concerned, I am very aware of what I am allowed to disclose and what I am not, and I will continue to give you as intimate an insight I can without any OPSEC violations. Afghanistan is the size of Texas, so if you could determine my location just by me saying "I am working in Texas," then you need to contact the CIA immediately for a job interview.

On that note, notice how I have not posted photos of any interpreters? I have not disclosed any photos of them because I am still awaiting their approval to post pictures of them on the web. Remember, I am here and am in danger because of my job and I do not look like any of the locals and the simple fact that I am an American (it doesn't help that I have red hair and big ears....you don't forget this face ). But they are in an even more dangerous state as the Taliban constantly seeks them out, with a common retribution being that they come home to murdered families after earning an insultingly meager paycheck. Do not let anyone fool you, many of the Afghans who work with us are genuinely some of the greatest people I've ever met, and I haven't been here all that long, but that doesn't mean they are without their own risks as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
That would probably be bulletproof glass, which has a layer of polycarbonate(plastic) bonded to the glass. The polycarbonate layer is designed to absorb and disperse the impact from a bullet. Plastics cause that kind of discolouration when seen through a polariser because polarised light allows one to see the microscopic stresses that arise within the polymers.
Hmm, I didn't even think about the type of glass. I just thought it was the fact that it was glass since it acts as a prism when light is refracted through it. Further experimentation will have to be conducted then. Thanks!

Until my next set of photos, take care all!

-Heie
03-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #14
Veteran Member

SENSATIONAL images & narrative.
Stay safe, & provide more of same please.
Thank You, Pickles.
09-16-2012, 02:43 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I don't see pics