Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Salvaging memories from Japan's tsunami zone

This is a cool story about a bunch of Japanese city employees in Sendai who are sorting photos salvaged from the debris & trying to reunite them with their owners. (wait through the ad which plays first...)

Global National: Memories salvaged from Japan disaster

03-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A really good story. A few months back, a thread was running and comments made that most of the photos we take really have no value and I shared a similar story of people in the Upstate NY areas damaged during Irene were walking along the riverbanks and collecting photos. Family snapshots are often mentioned as the biggest loss (not including peoples lives) after a natural disaster. Stuff can be replaced but photo albums that aren't backed up are gone forever. This makes a good case for multiple backups in different locations and including online storage for copies of important shots.
03-10-2012, 10:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So true. At the moment I'm trying to decide how many backups on what different formats I should make of the pix I'm scanning now -- just so I don't have to do all the work again. Whereas, there's no need for such nonsense with my negatives -- they're all safe in their box from whatever technological woes, & in an emergency evacuation one of the first things I would grab, along with the cat, is that box.